Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help with my crinkle cookies

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:48 am
Why do they always come out flat and harder? I want them to stay fluffy and taller. Any ideas?

corolla

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:56 am
Motherhood wrote:
Why do they always come out flat and harder? I want them to stay fluffy and taller. Any ideas?

Do you flatten them out before baking? Maybe try rolling into balls and baking that way.
Underbake them for fluffiness. If the recipe says 15 minutes, take them out at 12-13, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:29 am
You can also add a little baking powder if you want to experiment.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:40 am
I roll into balls and bake like that. They come out great. Also under-bake them. They harden as they cool and you want that soft chewy center.
*ETA make sure oven is fully preheated before you start

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:35 am
Your recipe might not be a good one. Have you eaten cookies from your specific recipe that turn out the way you want?

In general the type of shortening you use has a lot to do with whether cookies flatten rather than rise and the type of sugar has impact on whether cookies are harder or softer.

In general, you get a cookie to rise with the use of artificial leavening agents like baking powder but also by creaming the shortening well. when you cream butter with sugar for a sufficient time, it creates air pockets which help the cookie rise.

Also a cookie will depend on the kind of shortening/fat you use will melt and if you want a higher cookie (not flat) you want to delay the melting of the shortening as long as possible so the structure of the cookie gets finished a bit. Different fats have different melting points - butter melts more quickly than solid shortening like Crisco which is why many recipes specify Crisco instead of butter. If you bake butter cookies, putting them in the oven as cold as possible helps delay the butter melting. I always put the cookies on the sheet and then stick in the refrigerator for the dough to become cold before popping in the oven. I don't generally cook cookies with oil as the results aren't very good - at least in my opinion.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:49 am
Make sure your oven is preheated before you put in the cookies, so they don't get flat.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:24 am
I think you should also review the recipe. Freezing them for a bit or putting the raw dough in the fridge overnight may help. the recipe that I have for these cookies also flatten out, but are soft in the middle. These will not grow tall, it's not that type of recipe.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:48 am
What is your recipe?
I increased the baking soda/powder to make them rise more.
It’s been years and the recipe is not in front of me so I don’t remember exactly.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
What is your recipe?
I increased the baking soda/powder to make them rise more.
It’s been years and the recipe is not in front of me so I don’t remember exactly.

In general you can't increase the proportion of ingredients when you bake. Baking is very different than cooking where it is fine to improvise and modify. Baking is actually much like chemistry in which the ingredients in specific quantities and baked according to specific recipes is necessary to achieve the best results. That is why the best recipes will specific weighing flour instead of measuring it for example.

What kind of crinkle cookies do you make? I have made chocolate, ginger and standard flavored ones.

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 2:55 pm
I preheated my oven, I refrigerated my cookie dough. I rolled them into ball, I did not flatten them out. I’ve tried different recipes, and they all come out the same.
This is the recipe I’ve tried now
https://I.imgur.com/TcGRSMt.jpg

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 3:05 pm
Motherhood wrote:
I preheated my oven, I refrigerated my cookie dough. I rolled them into ball, I did not flatten them out. I’ve tried different recipes, and they all come out the same.

Cookies made with oil are not going to produce a quality cookie in my opinion except for cookies thst are specifically created to be made with oil.

If you read my first post, it explains why some form of solid shortening is necessary for a cookie that has a good texture.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 3:47 pm
Motherhood wrote:

They are supposed to flatten. But not down to nothing. If you roll into small balls and leave about an inch and a half between each cookie they flatten just right to the shape and feel of soft blend chocolate chip cookies, without sticking to each other when they flatten. Even with the oil recipes they come out great.

Buy an oven thermometer for about $6 to make sure your oven is reaching the temperature you set it to.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
Cookies made with oil are not going to produce a quality cookie in my opinion except for cookies thst are specifically created to be made with oil.

If you read my first post, it explains why some form of solid shortening is necessary for a cookie that has a good texture.

I came across this old post. I just wanna say I bake cookies with oil all the time with great results. You need to cream it with sugar, then add the eggs. Once dry ing are added, do not overmix.

Baking soda cookies tend to spread and baking powder helps it puff up. In my experience [I]

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I came across this old post. I just wanna say I bake cookies with oil all the time with great results. You need to cream it with sugar, then add the eggs. Once dry ing are added, do not overmix.

Baking soda cookies tend to spread and baking powder helps it puff up. In my experience [I]

Baking is chemistry - here is the science behind why you need a "solid" fat for optimum results in recipes unless a recipe specifically provides for liquid oil.

2/ THE ‘SCIENCE SECRETS’ BEHIND THE CREAMING METHOD:

Sugar crystals have rough and jagged surfaces that ‘dig’ into the butter when beaten together, creating tiny pockets of air that are trapped in fat. The smaller the crystals, the larger quantity of small air pockets there are, resulting in a very light and fluffy textured cake (thus castor sugar it great for this method).

The air trapped in these pockets expands when:

– they are heated
– filled with steam created from liquid ingredients in the batter
– carbon dioxide is released from the reaction of chemical leaveners (e.g. baking soda/baking powder).
…thus, causing the cake batter to rise with a texture that is soft and light.
A few side notes:

– Chemical leaveners (e.g. baking powder/soda) do not create more air bubbles, they simply enlarge the bubbles that are already there. If the creaming process hasn’t been done properly, the result may be a cake that:

hasn’t risen to its fullest potential
has risen on one side
one that will first rise a lot in the oven then collapse

(Hence, it’s important to spend time creaming the butter and sugar properly)

– Different types of fats are better for holding air bubbles than others. Shortening and lard create and hold air bubbles the best, but butter is good also and has the best flavour. Margarine does not hold air as effectively, whilst vegetable oil doesn’t at all.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 1:34 pm
Amarante wrote:
Baking is chemistry - here is the science behind why you need a "solid" fat for optimum results in recipes unless a recipe specifically provides for liquid oil.

2/ THE ‘SCIENCE SECRETS’ BEHIND THE CREAMING METHOD:

Sugar crystals have rough and jagged surfaces that ‘dig’ into the butter when beaten together, creating tiny pockets of air that are trapped in fat. The smaller the crystals, the larger quantity of small air pockets there are, resulting in a very light and fluffy textured cake (thus castor sugar it great for this method).

The air trapped in these pockets expands when:

– they are heated
– filled with steam created from liquid ingredients in the batter
– carbon dioxide is released from the reaction of chemical leaveners (e.g. baking soda/baking powder).
…thus, causing the cake batter to rise with a texture that is soft and light.
A few side notes:

– Chemical leaveners (e.g. baking powder/soda) do not create more air bubbles, they simply enlarge the bubbles that are already there. If the creaming process hasn’t been done properly, the result may be a cake that:

hasn’t risen to its fullest potential
has risen on one side
one that will first rise a lot in the oven then collapse

(Hence, it’s important to spend time creaming the butter and sugar properly)

– Different types of fats are better for holding air bubbles than others. Shortening and lard create and hold air bubbles the best, but butter is good also and has the best flavour. Margarine does not hold air as effectively, whilst vegetable oil doesn’t at all.

I agree that marg and shortening are ideal for cookies. But forget the science, I use oil all the time. Not vegetable - canola or avocado. People tell me to open a bakery cuz the stuff is so good. You just have to cream it and know how to mix it together. And it works for specific recipes..

renslet

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 1:49 pm
This recipe is really hit or miss. I usually do only one tray at a time, completely preheat oven and keep the dough in the fridge as long as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics