Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Furnishing a new home - your input is needed!

womanwithaplan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:10 pm
Hi fellow imamothers!

I will be moving very shortly and need to furnish the house from scratch. (I'm married for a while, we got married with very cheap and low quality goods and have been saving up a long time for this...)

Would love to hear about appliances/ furniture/ home goods you bought recently which turned out to be great purchases!!

The house has a clean, modern vibe and I wanna stick to that airy, minimal feel.

I love a neutral color palette of greys, white, black, natural wood etc.

Can you give me any suggestions for kitchen and bedroom furniture, good quality bedding and towels, nice dinnerware sets (ideally shatter-resistant) or anything else you are glad you purchased and are enjoying in your home?

There are so many options and I'm getting a little lost. Also, since this is probably my only opportunity to completely furnish and design my home I wanna do it right!

Thank you so much in advance for your ideas!!

Ps I'm located in tri state area, if you know of any good store locations around here please let me know!

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:48 pm
Would you consider hiring an interior decorator to help you?

womanwithaplan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:53 pm
SingALong wrote:
Would you consider hiring an interior decorator to help you?

I would love to. But my husband feels it is a waste of money, especially considering how many other, more important expenses we are having at the moment (I kinda agree with him Wink )

baker1

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:56 pm
If you are interested in coming to Lakewood , you can drop by Threshold Interiors. Super helpful and they have really nice stuff!

ez-pass

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:58 pm
My personal opinion. Don't try to furnish right away. It will take time to know what you want. Its a work on progress. I would buy beds and basics and move in and do it slowly.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:40 pm
Agree
Don’t buy everything at once
Get the basics- couch, dining room table and chairs

Then wait and buy slowly

isrmss91

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:45 pm
I think if you are spending money, spulurge on a good couch with good bones. Yes you can find cheap couches, but they will need to be replaced in a few years. Ask friends for recommendations. Rugs, pilliows and other home goods, can be found cheap. Don't waste money there.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:51 pm
I agree with the other mamas; we hired an interior designer for space and layout issues in our kitchen, and she gave us some helpful hints along the way about the rest of the house.

Her best advice was not to furnish too quickly and to wait on wall colour choice as well. Have fun and enjoy the process!

Simcha36

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 10:21 pm
I have a wonderful frum lady for interior design, will help you choose, match, etc. year of experience.

Please pm.

(No, we are not related or friends, I know her professionaly adn she is a wonderful person as well)

AishesChayil1

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 10:55 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
I have a wonderful frum lady for interior design, will help you choose, match, etc. year of experience.

Please pm.

(No, we are not related or friends, I know her professionaly adn she is a wonderful person as well)

Where is she located?

Pickle1

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 11:04 pm
We just did recently new furniture for kitchen and living room (married 15+ yrs...) After shopping around a few stores, we did very well in Churchill - large selection of really nice stuff - well priced and had availability. Keep in mind due to covid - tons of furniture and appliances are on factory backorder. that's everywhere - I don't know when you are moving but keep in mind furniture and appliances will take time. so I would recommend you start with ordering the stuff that will take time to arrive, and once you have that ordered, you can focus on the little stuff like home goods/windows/towels etc

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:24 am
If you live in Lakewood/toms River/Jackson then I recommend Living Quarters (formerly Dina's Interiors) I went there without an interior designer and did very well. The guy running the store really knows his stuff and has a good eye for design. Cant recommend enough

macaroonlover

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 7:22 am
sweetdimples wrote:
If you live in Lakewood/toms River/Jackson then I recommend Living Quarters (formerly Dina's Interiors) I went there without an interior designer and did very well. The guy running the store really knows his stuff and has a good eye for design. Cant recommend enough

How are their prices?

S11

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 9:57 am
womanwithaplan wrote:
I would love to. But my husband feels it is a waste of money, especially considering how many other, more important expenses we are having at the moment (I kinda agree with him Wink )

Interior decorators usually get cheaper prices on furniture etc so if you make sure to include in your contract that she needs to pass the savings onto you, you’ll probably come out even. Like you maybe be spending $100 a session (I made that up) but will get amazing discounts on furniture and blinds etc that you would not be able to get without the designer.

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 11:45 am
macaroonlover wrote:
How are their prices?
They have all price points. I happened to have gotten a pricier dinnette table but only cuz I loved it! Living Quarters carries that brand exclusively and I couldnt find anything similar elsewhere. for the sofas I found them to be similar in pricing as other home furnishing stores and with certain models a bit cheaper even
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars