Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What are people overseas thinking of what's happening in USA

Goldie613

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:06 pm
Not putting this in politics because I'm not looking to discuss that piece of it here (I'm sure there are other threads for that already)

People in America, at least based on the news, are shocked that these protests are happening in the Capital, that a task the Constitution says needed to happen today may not happen as scheduled. Honestly, the way they're talking on the news makes me think of what it might have been like during the time of the Revolutionary War :-(

I'm curious - for those of you who live overseas, how are your countries viewing what's happening in the US today?

[political threads belong in the politics forum. This thread is locked because this is indeed about politics; please feel free to post in that forum - mod]

ggdm

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:00 pm
It's the middle of the night here ... I just opened the news page during nursing out of boredom... Surprised

"Pro-Trump Protesters storm US Capitol building" is the first headline on news pages. I am shaking my head in disbelief. Shocked at what feels like an attack against democracy. I have worried a long time whether Trump would really just leave office like a normal person, but I imagined things like pardoning his friends or not handing over documents. Not this!

zoom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:05 pm
Its wierd how the police man doesnt look like hes trying to stop them.
he backs off.

It looks a lot like what happens in America.
Its shocking but I feel like alot of protests there get very wild.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:14 pm
zoom wrote:
Its wierd how the police man doesnt look like hes trying to stop them.
he backs off.

One news report I heard mentioned that the security there was overwhelmed, that the feeling was that the people they had there initially wouldn't have been enough to keep the protesters out. I guess they wanted to avoid having the officers get hurt? Or maybe the few they had were focusing on getting Congressman and their staff to safety?

Things B"H seem to get better once more police came in (I know the National Guard was called in, as well as help from nearby states).

zoom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:23 pm
The video of them going upstairs with one police officer just backing up and backing up justs seems wierd.
Like he had no self defence, no gun, no nothing.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:44 pm
Well, you just inspired me to have a look at the news, because I had no idea that anything put of the ordinary was even happening.

So my reaction was that they are being a bunch of idiots, but it is the kind of mentality that has been encouraged over the past few years. The pictures on the news are not impressive, but hardly world shattering. The Americans can figure out how to deal with this infantile mentality among their own citizens, and we'll get on with dealing with Corona and our own local politics.

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:16 am
Honestly after the whole BLM debacle I thought there was one possibility for America's future:

1. Be taken over by liberals and turned into a 3rd, or at best 2nd world country. While conservatives sit back and shake their heads disapprovingly.

Now I think there is a second option:

2. Civil War.

I'm not sure which would be better.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:25 am
So many memes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics