Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Boys name help!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:46 pm
Hi all!
I’m due in a couple months with a boy iyh and we’re just at a loss of what to name him, being as we’ve used up all the male family names!!
However, if he would have been a baby girl, the grandmother we would have loved to name after, was a super special, warm, kind person, the type that no one had a bad thing to say about. (We wouldn’t translate the name from a female to male sounding version)
Any ideas of a boys name (we are JPF in a yeshiva/JPF community) that we could connect to the grandmothers special middos?
Thanks!!

Lizzie4

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:49 pm
Nesanel

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:53 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
Nesanel

I second this name.

Toivya- meaning good. As in good kiddos.
Aharaon

Other nice names that I like:
Zecharya
Uri

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:00 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
Nesanel

I don't get how this connects to the grandmother, but it's a lovely name.

Honestly...I think any name to "connect" is a stretch and far-fetched, no matter how noble the intention is. Like naming a boy "mordechai" if grandma was "esther" or "avraham" if grandma was "sarah".

My cousin wanted to do this and named his daughter "nechama" the year after my grandfather died - and it meant nothing to his father or mine, as honestly, there was no connection. Sorry.

I would just wait for the girl. If you don't get it, it's obvious Hashem did not intend for you to name after her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don't get how this connects to the grandmother, but it's a lovely name.

Honestly...I think any name to "connect" is a stretch and far-fetched, no matter how noble the intention is. Like naming a boy "mordechai" if grandma was "esther" or "avraham" if grandma was "sarah".

My cousin wanted to do this and named his daughter "nechama" the year after my grandfather died - and it meant nothing to his father or mine, as honestly, there was no connection. Sorry.

I would just wait for the girl. If you don't get it, it's obvious Hashem did not intend for you to name after her.

The girl isn’t happening.. this will be our last, and the baby needs a name! So either we just pick a name out of a hat, or try make it somewhat meaningful to us..
(not doing this for any parents or grandparents to make them happy..)

Miri1

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:10 pm
It may not technically be called naming after, but it reflects the way the grandmother has inspired her descendants. That's beautiful.

Here are a few more:

Meir
Noam
I second Tovya or Tuvya (however you choose to pronounce it)
David (Dovid is from the root of Yedid, meaning friend, or loved one)
Shalom
Shlomo
Aharon (was ohev shalom urodeph shalom)

simcha2

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:10 pm
How about Adina?
Gentle, kind.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:13 pm
In my father's family (from Britain) there are a number of men and women with names purpously beginning with the same letter as the family patriarch. Most of them didn't actually get his name. Granted this may not be rooted in any Jewish custom - it may just be a typically English thing to do.
It's more like a nod toward the patriarch.
Perhaps some of the men got his Hebrew name though.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:15 pm
Ahuvia - loved by Gd/loves Gd
Amit - friend
Yakir - precious
Noam -pleasantness

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:26 pm
Some nice ideas! Thanks!! I appreciate this!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:34 pm
Asher-fortunate
Simcha
Yehuda-thankful
Chaim- a source of life
Yaakov- the traits of Yaakov
Yonasan- Gift
Uri- light
Ariel
Baruch
Gavriel
Hillel
Menachem
Nosson
Shalom
Shimshon- powerful as the sun
Zerach- shining light

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:39 pm
I has similar with a girl. I named ahuva and said that that person was beloved by all.
Mattisyahu-present from Hashem
Simcha-joy/happiness

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all!
I’m due in a couple months with a boy iyh and we’re just at a loss of what to name him, being as we’ve used up all the male family names!!
However, if he would have been a baby girl, the grandmother we would have loved to name after, was a super special, warm, kind person, the type that no one had a bad thing to say about. (We wouldn’t translate the name from a female to male sounding version)
Any ideas of a boys name (we are JPF in a yeshiva/JPF community) that we could connect to the grandmothers special middos?
Thanks!!

Sorry this is so off topic but what is JPF?

Miri1

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Sorry this is so off topic but what is JPF?

Just plain frum

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:21 am
My cousin had a boy during the shiva for my grandmother. she named him Noam, to tie into the middos of Bubby.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:35 am
[quote="amother [ Babypink ]
My cousin wanted to do this and named his daughter "nechama" the year after my grandfather died - and it meant nothing to his father or mine, as honestly, there was no connection. Sorry. quote]

Just wanted to say that Nechama and Ruchama are common names to use after someone has died as they mean 'comfort'. Sometimes if a person can't name for the niftar, such as their MIL has the same name etc, they might choose such a name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names