Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to wash new towels

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:31 pm
Should I be concerned about them running? Do I need to wash them separately? Anything special that I need to do? Thanks.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:37 pm
If they're dark and you don't want the color to fade, you should include vinegar and salt in the original wash. It's supposed to keep colors. Good luck!

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:42 pm
I would wash separately the first time as they tend to release more fuzz at the beginning which you don’t want on other colored items.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:22 pm
Thanks! How much vinegar and salt? What does that do? I'm assuming the towels don't smell like vinegar afterwards, right? Very Happy

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 2:56 pm
Yes, you should prewash separately all linens before first use. New intensely colored towels will bleed color, and regardless of color will release a lot of lint and 'sizing', which is a product applied to fabrics to make them look and feel more appealing when on display. Wash on the regular cycle with a normal volume of detergent. Do not use fabric softener on towels, ever, because fabric softener coats the fibers with a slippery film that reduces their absorbency. Add a cup of white vinegar in the final rinse cycle to remove any residue from excess detergent, which can build up and eventually make towels look dingy and feel stiff and scratchy. If you really need the soft and fluffy feeling, machine dry; otherwise, air-drying extends the useful life.

Always wash fabrics, regardless of age, with similar colors: pastels with pastels, reds with reds, darks with darks. You can usually wash dark reds with darks, though I once ruined a black skirt by washing it with a dark red item. The red bled onto the black and, while it didn't turn it red, it made a darker patch on the black fabric.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry