Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby name
Previous  1  2

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:07 pm
I know a tzvi who goes by heshy. I think it’s weird, but that’s my opinion. If you like it, then why wouldn’t you do it?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I know a tzvi who goes by heshy. I think it’s weird, but that’s my opinion. If you like it, then why wouldn’t you do it?

I disagree. I know a handful of Tzvi’s who go by Steve. Why is that any less weird

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:15 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I disagree. I know a handful of Tzvi’s who go by Steve. Why is that any less weird

I didn’t say “heshy is weird and Steve is not”, did I? That’s weird, too. Unless it’s their legal name.

Miri1

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:33 pm
Ask a shayla, maybe it's even better to name him Yehuda Aryeh, since your grandfather actually went by a version of that name. (and it is a common name combination)
Then you're problem's solved.

Perhaps your great grandparents had the same dilemma and that's why they called him Leiby Wink

As for the debated above, I personally don't find it strange if someone is affectionately called by a Yiddish version of his given name.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:36 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I didn’t say “heshy is weird and Steve is not”, did I? That’s weird, too. Unless it’s their legal name.

You sound on edge. Idk what circles you’re a part of but it’s very common to give your Jewish child a Jewish name.. what you choose to call them is your choice...

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
You sound on edge. Idk what circles you’re a part of but it’s very common to give your Jewish child a Jewish name.. what you choose to call them is your choice...

OP asked for our opinions. My opinion is that it’s weird to call your kid a name that’s not his. I won’t do it, but if OP wants to, then why not. I’m from yeshivish circles, if that helps.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:28 pm
It’s your kid. Do what you want.

I know an Ari whose Hebrew name is Yehuda.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names