Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Parenting advice needed

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:50 pm
I have an almost 2 year old and a 3.5 year old. For the past few days when its time to brush their teeth they laugh and run away copying each other. Usually its a whole drawn out thing. Today I decided I will just say that it's time for me to brush and do it even if they're not on board. Usually they first brush themselves and then I finish brushing. So today I took the 2 year old and held her down a bit to brush and she didn't mind at all was just laughing and giggling and let me brush. My 3 year old even after seeing her sister laughing didnt like it at all. She ended up having a huge tantrum and it took a while to calm her down and I totally understand her. I was very controlling but I just wanted their teeth brushed. Bedtime already takes a while.
What would you do in such a situation so I know what to do next time something like this happens.

Speaking positively etc.. wouldn't work o tried that and it was already a huge game for them. Maybe a prize? Telling her she can't brush first herself if she won't let me?
Any advice?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:53 pm
I let my kids brush their teeth totally on their own. I don't stand over them or help them. This is not worth fighting over with little kids.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:59 pm
I would bring one child at a time into the bathroom and lock the door so there's no riling each other up. Just calmly so what you normally do. There's no need to turn it into a power struggle, nor should you stop brushing teeth altogether.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:08 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I would bring one child at a time into the bathroom and lock the door so there's no riling each other up. Just calmly so what you normally do. There's no need to turn it into a power struggle, nor should you stop brushing teeth altogether.

This is good advice thanks.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:39 pm
Take the pressure off. It shouldn't be a power struggle. My kids liked brushing their teeth to this some years ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mgHakWC1g

meeze

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:04 pm
I count till 10 when I brush my toddlers teeth. So he knows when to expect it to be over. Then, as a treat, he can sometimes hold a big handheld mirror so he see his white teeth while I brush.
I talk to him while I brush his teeth and tell him that his freind "shimmy" (or whomever your child will stop to listen to you when u mention that name) also likes to brush their teeth

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:17 pm
meeze wrote:
I count till 10 when I brush my toddlers teeth. So he knows when to expect it to be over. Then, as a treat, he can sometimes hold a big handheld mirror so he see his white teeth while I brush.
I talk to him while I brush his teeth and tell him that his freind "shimmy" (or whomever your child will stop to listen to you when u mention that name) also likes to brush their teeth

Love the mirror idea, as well as the friend convo..thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics