Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tell me what your job is like
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:37 am
Would love to hear what your job is like, particularly the day to day, and what makes someone good at what you do. Would especially like to hear from lawyers, therapists, people in design, marketing or HR, but happy to hear from anyone!

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:48 am
Does speech therapist count?
I see dementia patients, dysphasia patients, and stroke victims. I work on cognition, task completion, slowing memory loss, diet modification.
In order to do my job, you have to have a pulse Smile and be able to follow simple instructions.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:52 am
Hospital social worker: must be compassionate (and the other traits that makes someone a good social worker like desire to help etc) resourceful, good at managing chaos in a fast paced environment, diplomatic.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:59 am
I do bookkeeping/ budgeting for non profits. I currently have two clients, both of which take about 7 hours a week, and I work about 14 hours total, divided over 3 days. At the beginning of the year it's very busy, as I'm reviewing last year's budget, expenses in each category, seeing where we went over etc and building a budget for the next year, making sure all the (payroll) taxes were filed properly, review and renew our insurance programs, etc. During the year it's just reviewing and entering all bills, making sure we're staying on budget, paying monthly expenses like payroll, rent, insurance, etc. Paying vendors. That's about it. It's pretty easy and I love it.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:02 am
Voice to text because I'm answering you from work

I work as a bookkeeper and a grocery store usually what that means is I have to take the invoices as they come in and put them into the computer but practically it's also quick books I usually have a coworker but right now we're looking

So it's making sure that the products aren't so when you go to the register it scans with the correct price It also means putting things on sale doing the circulars and e-blasts

My job is kind of expanded to also help out customer service jump on the register stock the shelves take deliveries in could bring deliveries out

Making signs for the sale sometimes I have negotiated when I know that customers want certain things I will try and reach out to the vendors to see if we can get that

I've even wrapped up fish

basically if it can be done in your local kosher grocery I have done it

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:03 am
Lawyer here.

7:00-9:00-Wake up, take kids to school, and start my long commute (something I didn't consider when becoming a lawyer is that most jobs are in the city so if you want to live not in the city, take that into consideration)

9:20-Get to the office, go through emails, answer anything urgent.
9:40-Start on my assignments for the day. This usually includes doing legal research, drafting briefs to submit to the court, doing summaries of depositions etc.
12-Break for lunch
12:30-Resume above work.
4/5-Leave. One good thing about my job is that it's extremely flexible. This is not true of all firms, but as long as I get my work done no one particularly cares when so if I have to leave at 3, no one's asking any questions.
6-7:30-Focus on my kids time. Baths, dinner etc.
7:30-9-Generally finish up some more work, check emails.
9-11-Relaxing

The best way I've ever heard someone describe being a lawyer, particularly a more junior one, is that you're essentially doing homework all day. Research, drafting, etc. I happen to like it and be good at it because: 1. I was always a school person and I like homework 2. I like the thrill of research and tracking down the perfect case to support your argument. 3. I work with extremely nice, amazing people. This is definitely not true of all lawyers or law firms. It's really luck of the draw. That being said, you live by your billable hour so you're always trying to work as much as you can. A lot of people won't like that. I've been pretty good at integrating my life and my work but not everyone will want to do that.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I do bookkeeping/ budgeting for non profits. I currently have two clients, both of which take about 7 hours a week, and I work about 14 hours total, divided over 3 days. At the beginning of the year it's very busy, as I'm reviewing last year's budget, expenses in each category, seeing where we went over etc and building a budget for the next year, making sure all the (payroll) taxes were filed properly, review and renew our insurance programs, etc. During the year it's just reviewing and entering all bills, making sure we're staying on budget, paying monthly expenses like payroll, rent, insurance, etc. Paying vendors. That's about it. It's pretty easy and I love it.
I’d love to do what you do. I don’t have any bookkeeping education or experience. Can you tell me what your qualifications and experience is? What do I do?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:23 am
I'm a pediatric occupational therapist. I love my job but in my region it makes no money. Oh well.

Important skills needed to be a GOOD occupational therapist: professional, good communication skills (witten and verbal), collaborative, creative, sensitive, intuitive, kind.

I run my own practice which also requires good business skills.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:27 am
Voice to text

Here's the interesting about my job I came in today

I came in with the intention of just printing the signs and doing that first for next week's sales

instead I got interrupted in order to fix produce items fix some pricing and add a new item that somehow got missed

If you don't like doing a million things at once don't take a job like this

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:43 am
I do bookkeeping.
At my day job , I am responsible to oversee accounts that are our customer’s retainer accounts which they fund and we process certain payments for them .(not going into detail)
I reconcile 20 escrow bank accounts on a daily basis . I have to make sure the numbers match up to our backoffice Program, to Quickbooks, and that in Quickbooks the bank account balances match to their corresponding escrow account balances.
It’s tedious and takes lots of concentration. I need to have every penny match daily. There are usually issues as to why it doesn’t match up and it’s my job to figure it all out and get it all matched up again.
At the end of the month it’s stressful because I need to complete the monthly reconciliations and reports and I have deadlines I need to meet.
Otherwise I find it relaxing. I put on music and do my thing.

My other job is also bookkeeping. I work from home for someone that has an Amazon business and I do pretty basic data entry of bills . I post and apply vendor payments. There are some other odds and ends that I do for them. I also have some deadlines but it’s pretty lenient.
I have 20 years of bookkeeping experience. All learned on the job. But I started at the bottom and built my up. I still have more opportunity for growth which is good and gives me incentive.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 6:12 pm
Here's what my typical day is like. Attorney, for reference.

5.30am - wake up, shower, check emails, inhale my first cup of coffee while getting ready for work.
6.30am - commute.
7.15am - park, walk to office.
7.30am - start work. Catchup on non-billable matters, tackle the pile of docs on my desk for review, review mail, emails and caffeinate.
9.00am - start the day's meeting, calls, conferences, associate meetings, etc.
2.30pm - leave to get car.
2.45-4pm - commute (and do outstanding conference calls, handle associates, etc.)
4pm - pick up my daughter from school.
4.30pm - get home.
4.30-7pm - make the kids dinner, get everyone bathed, do homework...
7.30pm - kids go to bed.
7.45-9pm - answer emails, texts, set up notes for next day with a TV show running in the background.
9-10pm - relax. Talk with my husband. Me time.
10pm - in bed, trying to sleep.

Rinse, repeat, and do it all again.

I eat lunch while working so there's no dedicated time for that and I bill roughly 7-8 hours a day. Shabbos and Sunday, I am off. I try not to do any work on the weekend (unless there's an emergency). My husband gets the kids up and dressed everyday for school and drops them off too. Overall, I think I'm a pretty present parent and my position is flexible. I run my division full time but can do it remotely so if I'm needed at home, I can be. Fridays, I always work from home - it's just easier.

I've been at this firm almost a decade and worked my way up from lowly associate (earning 55k my first year) to an equity partner. Mid-sized firm. On average, I make 300k+ (last year was about 450k) but it varies year to year. I do take off all of succos and pesach, kid's winter break too. And every summer, at least a week for a family trip. This coming summer, we're planning for me to take a solid month off (2 weeks in Israel, one week for our annual family trip to the Bahamas and another week in Ireland for just the hubs and I). We are very fortunate but definitely not without our own struggles. I am a two time cancer survivor and my husband has a ultra rare autoimmune disease. We are cognizant of how important our time is and try to prioritize our family over everything else. Years ago, when I first started as an attorney, I was in the office from 8am to 5.30pm and rarely had time off. I felt so horrible if I needed to take a day off because one of my kids was sick. Then I got cancer and stopped caring. Despite cancer, I was made a partner and my practice / business took off from there. My partners are super understanding, caring people (none of whom are even Jewish!) and we all work together to reach collaborative success. If one of us is struggling, we all step in. One of my partners, his brother was just diagnosed with Leukemia and we are all rallying around him to help support his practice so he can take some time off to focus on his own emotional wellbeing and his family. Were a family of sorts. In my experience, most firms are NOT like this.

So that's my story, in a nutshell.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 6:56 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I do bookkeeping.
At my day job , I am responsible to oversee accounts that are our customer’s retainer accounts which they fund and we process certain payments for them .(not going into detail)
I reconcile 20 escrow bank accounts on a daily basis . I have to make sure the numbers match up to our backoffice Program, to Quickbooks, and that in Quickbooks the bank account balances match to their corresponding escrow account balances.
It’s tedious and takes lots of concentration. I need to have every penny match daily. There are usually issues as to why it doesn’t match up and it’s my job to figure it all out and get it all matched up again.
At the end of the month it’s stressful because I need to complete the monthly reconciliations and reports and I have deadlines I need to meet.
Otherwise I find it relaxing. I put on music and do my thing.

My other job is also bookkeeping. I work from home for someone that has an Amazon business and I do pretty basic data entry of bills . I post and apply vendor payments. There are some other odds and ends that I do for them. I also have some deadlines but it’s pretty lenient.
I have 20 years of bookkeeping experience. All learned on the job. But I started at the bottom and built my up. I still have more opportunity for growth which is good and gives me incentive.

Can I ask what the going rate is for bookeeping from home for private clients? I have 10 years experience

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 7:09 pm
I know this wasn't a job you asked about but I'm an upper elementary Limudei kodesh teacher.

7:15- leave the house for commute
8:05 - Arrive at school, pick up copies, set up smart board
8:15 - students arrive
Teaching until 12:30 including 30 mins lunchtime where I eat when I can get a bite in between managing lunch
12:30-1:30 - meetings, prep, talk to parents
1:30 - leave to get my kids
Be a mother until bedtime is over at 8
8:00 - Tons of prep, grading and trying to do laundry and housekeeping at the same time

Love my job, hate the prep and grading. Considering paying someone to grade my papers on day and I'll just keep an eye on progress and when something is concerning. But til that happens I'll be up late doing it myself

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:22 pm
I will not say my job title, because I don't want to get fired. This is the absolute truth.
I only work 5 hours a week. This is what I do during my 5-hour shift.

I check my emails.
I shop on either Amazon or Aliexpress (limiting myself to what I earn).
I watch Youtube.
I watch Netflix.
I daven.
Sometimes have to load the printer with paper.
I check Facebook and Instagram.
I look at my watch 5 minutes before my shift ends. If my night replacement is not there, I have to text him.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I will not say my job title, because I don't want to get fired. This is the absolute truth.
I only work 5 hours a week. This is what I do during my 5-hour shift.

I check my emails.
I shop on either Amazon or Aliexpress (limiting myself to what I earn).
I watch Youtube.
I watch Netflix.
I daven.
Sometimes have to load the printer with paper.
I check Facebook and Instagram.
I look at my watch 5 minutes before my shift ends. If my night replacement is not there, I have to text him.

Sounds fun.
Do you enjoy it?
What is the salary for such a job?

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Sounds fun.
Do you enjoy it?
What is the salary for such a job?

I get $34 per hour, but some employees get $17. This job suits me well, but I can't find another job like this one.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:27 pm
I'm a secretary in a school for autistic children. I love working there. Its hard work its not easy but its so gratifying at the end of the day to see the children grow each day learn new things and for me that's the best feeling.
Its a 9-5 job bh no Sundays and friday till 1 but I have a great boss and supervisor and wonderful coworkers

Thank you hashem

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:49 pm
I’m a sheitel macher. Best parts of my job are that my salon is in my house and that I start in the morning at 10. I work 10-3 and 8-10. I have a part time employee in the morning and a part time employee in the evening. The one in the morning can be so busy or sometimes bored cuz it’s a seasonal job. Sometimes I’ll let her out early and I’ll go do my grocery shopping (which is awesome!) wash n sets and cuts r really pleasant. I’m a horrible sales person and way too honest so that’s my worst part of the job. Wish I could get away with not selling but I find that I lose customers that way- when they buy elsewhere they prefer to service there. So even thou I started out with just Irenes and Sary’s and sent my customers out for higher end, not I’m selling like 15 brands....
I have a young family, my husband is for the most part unavailable cuz he works and is in college but I manage the kids fairly well on my own. The hardest part is being strict about bedtime cuz I need to be at work at 8, but we got into a pretty good routine. I have flexibility to take off for kids appts or if a child is sick I got usually reschedule my customers even on short notice..
overall I’m blessed to have a great job...

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:53 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Does speech therapist count?
I see dementia patients, dysphasia patients, and stroke victims. I work on cognition, task completion, slowing memory loss, diet modification.
In order to do my job, you have to have a pulse Smile and be able to follow simple instructions.

Lol. Im also a SLP.
I worked a bit in a hospital and your post made me lol Smile

Im school based now. Boring.
9:30-1 I see kids straight then I have a lunch break and see them again from 1:30-5 straight unless a kid doesnt show up. Also try to run to the bathroom in between kids if possible lol!
We work on expressive and receptive language skills- formulating sentences, metalinguistic skills, cognition, I do some feeding, and last is articulation (not so much)

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:49 pm
Another slp here. I always wonder why we wasted so much time in grad school studying info we’ll never use. I love my job but didn’t need all the science courses, that’s for sure! My job is actually great and involves a lot of problem-solving and creativity, but grad school didn’t teach me that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics