Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is this stealing? WWYD? Update
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:34 am
I ordered an expensive item from a store. They made me pay for it upfront and they said that they're going to have it in a week. It's been 5 weeks and they still didn't get it. They keep telling me that it's going to arrive. They refuse to give me back my money and said I can take something else. I don't want something else, I want that specific item.
Are they stealing from me? What can I do about it?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:35 am
Dispute the credit card charge

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:37 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Dispute the credit card charge

I didn't pay with a credit card.
I want to know if this is considered stealing, I might take it to a Rav.
Someone told me she had a similar story with them. She ordered something and they sent her the wrong size. They refused to refund her for their mistake and she ended up taking something else.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:39 am
If this is a Jewish store, call a Rav about taking them to Beis Din. Presumably hearing that will be enough for them to realize that they are in the wrong.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:43 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
If this is a Jewish store, call a Rav about taking them to Beis Din. Presumably hearing that will be enough for them to realize that they are in the wrong.

Unfortunately it's a local jewish store and they're the only store in the community that carries that item. I could've ordered it online but I wanted to see it first. I'd rather not go the Beis Din route. I was thinking of maybe having a Rav talk to the owner.

Frumme

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:44 am
How did you pay? Do you have a receipt?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:47 am
I would tell them they are going to get bad reviews online and/or you will let people know not to buy there. It's not ok doing business like this.
They might figure its not worth losing out more by being untrustworthy.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:52 am
Ridiculous. It’s places like this that give frum business a bad name. Yes, I would def talk to a Rav

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:52 am
Frumme wrote:
How did you pay? Do you have a receipt?

I paid with cash and have a receipt. They put it as store credit.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I would tell them they are going to get bad reviews online and/or you will let people know not to buy there. It's not ok doing business like this.
They might figure its not worth losing out more by being untrustworthy.

I told them that I'm spreading the word that they have awful costumer service and people should stay away from that store. They practically laughed in my face. It's a fancy upscale store and they're the only one's in the community that sell certain products and a certain brand.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I told them that I'm spreading the word that they have awful costumer service and people should stay away from that store. They practically laughed in my face. It's a fancy upscale store and they're the only one's in the community that sell certain products and a certain brand.

Social media works. As much as I hate doing it, sometimes we need to use it.

Or, if you know of a good customer, have them intervene. It's all about the money for them.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I ordered an expensive item from a store. They made me pay for it upfront and they said that they're going to have it in a week. It's been 5 weeks and they still didn't get it. They keep telling me that it's going to arrive. They refuse to give me back my money and said I can take something else. I don't want something else, I want that specific item.
Are they stealing from me? What can I do about it?

Ask for evidence of the paperwork that they ordered it from their supplier.

I would also consider informing the distributor of the item what you experienced.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unfortunately it's a local jewish store and they're the only store in the community that carries that item. I could've ordered it online but I wanted to see it first. I'd rather not go the Beis Din route. I was thinking of maybe having a Rav talk to the owner.

Moving forward, never pay cash.

This is a thing you need beis din for.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Social media works. As much as I hate doing it, sometimes we need to use it.

Or, if you know of a good customer, have them intervene. It's all about the money for them.

But not before talking to a rav.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
Moving forward, never pay cash.

This is a thing you need beis din for.

I don't use credit cards ever. I really want to avoid Beis Din, what if the store decides to make this public?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
But not before talking to a rav.

I don't have social media and I wouldn't do it anyways. But if someone happens to mention this store, I've told them to stay away.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't use credit cards ever. I really want to avoid Beis Din, what if the store decides to make this public?

You could hire a lawyer to write you a Demand Letter.

what was their excuse regarding the 5 week delay?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
You could hire a lawyer to write you a Demand Letter.

what was their excuse regarding the 5 week delay?

First it was the weather, then the holiday... they keep saying "don't worry, it's coming in. You can take something else if you want."

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:28 pm
I see you don't use credit cards?

This is exactly the reason you should use credit cards. Legally if you order something, a store is not allowed to charge your card until the item is actually shipped.

Credit cards also provide protection if you have any issue with a purchase. I ordered a chest last year and it broke almost immediately. I was able to get a complete charge back from the card company - this was a $700 purchase. I would have been out of luck if I had paid cash - or even paid with a check.

I charge everything and I pay my bills each month. It's win win since I also get points which I use on amazon. It's a card that has amazon points as a reward.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First it was the weather, then the holiday... they keep saying "don't worry, it's coming in. You can take something else if you want."

I would ask for evidence that their supplier has shipped the product.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics