Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Air horn against coyotes

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:21 pm
So we've been seeing coyotes around town lately.

Which wistles and air horns are loud / strong enough to scare them away?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 3:12 pm
Are the coyotes aggressive? Are they approaching people? If so, you need to call animal control.

Generally they are extremely shy, and will only cause problems if you come too close to their pups, or if people have been feeding them.

If one approaches you, all you have to do is stomp your foot and say "shoo!" and it should get the message that you are not going to give it food.

Where I live we have packs of jackals, and they are terrified of people. You're more likely to hear them and not see them. If you do see one, it will run the second it sees you. Same thing with foxes.

Even a wolf will run away from a human (unless it's really starving. We don't taste very good.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 3:51 pm
I used to live in the Mojave Desert. Every so often, a coyote would come into the housing areas after dark. They never went after humans but of course no small kids were out by themselves at that hour. However, we were warned to never allow small pets loose, my friend and I used to do an exercise walk at night when our DHs were home. More than once I saw a coyote leaving the neighborhoods with a cat or tiny dog in its mouth.

In short, I worried much more about the scorpions, black widows, rattlesnakes et al as compared to a coyote.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I used to live in the Mojave Desert. Every so often, a coyote would come into the housing areas after dark. They never went after humans but of course no small kids were out by themselves at that hour. However, we were warned to never allow small pets loose, my friend and I used to do an exercise walk at night when our DHs were home. More than once I saw a coyote leaving the neighborhoods with a cat or tiny dog in its mouth.

In short, I worried much more about the scorpions, black widows, rattlesnakes et al as compared to a coyote.

Yep, coyotes love cats and kittens. They help control feral populations, as well as being really good at catching rats and mice.

Hashem has an amazing way of designing everything to stay in balance!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics