Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Anti-aging foods- is it for real?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:05 pm
Hi,
I'm approaching my mid 30's now...
I'm definately giving thought to certain things more now...
my skin, my overall strength etc. and long term health....
I've read foods like kale, sweet potato, salmon are all anti aging foods...
is this true?
do people who eat like this over people that eat more typically (potato kugel, lukshen kugel, cookies, pizza, regular white bread) age better?
right now my eating is somewhat in the middle- I try to stick to whole grains/high fiber grains etc. I'm not eating chocolate danishes (if I eat a cookie it's ww & oats) but I'm thinking of doing a stronger switch over and wondering what other women have to say to weigh in here....
is there really a difference in the effects on your skin/health?

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
I'm approaching my mid 30's now...
I'm definately giving thought to certain things more now...
my skin, my overall strength etc. and long term health....
I've read foods like kale, sweet potato, salmon are all anti aging foods...
is this true?
do people who eat like this over people that eat more typically (potato kugel, lukshen kugel, cookies, pizza, regular white bread) age better?
right now my eating is somewhat in the middle- I try to stick to whole grains/high fiber grains etc. I'm not eating chocolate danishes (if I eat a cookie it's ww & oats) but I'm thinking of doing a stronger switch over and wondering what other women have to say to weigh in here....
is there really a difference in the effects on your skin/health?

Maybe but I knew some people who had long lives and ate kugel.

avrahamama

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:36 pm
Of course there is! Definitely a healthier diet will lead to aging more gracefully. We're not talking about only living long. We are talking about living well!

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:01 pm
I knew a woman who lived to be 107. She lived most of her life in Russia and dealt with food scarcity and hunger for many years and sometimes there were few foods available and most of those were potatoes. Then she moved to America and ate more because she had more.
I have read that people who have survived such hunger actually live longer than people who always had plenty to eat. I have read a lot about blue zones and diet accounts a lot for longevity along with close community and family ties, hills, government medical care, decent weather, and lack of competitiveness. Some people live longer because of good genes that resist cancers and other problems of aging.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I knew a woman who lived to be 107. She lived most of her life in Russia and dealt with food scarcity and hunger for many years and sometimes there were few foods available and most of those were potatoes. Then she moved to America and ate more because she had more.
I have read that people who have survived such hunger actually live longer than people who always had plenty to eat. I have read a lot about blue zones and diet accounts a lot for longevity along with close community and family ties, hills, government medical care, decent weather, and lack of competitiveness. Some people live longer because of good genes that resist cancers and other problems of aging.

In a way it makes so much sense.....she was eating very little, but very naturally- no food dyes, genetically altered food, processed meat, chemicals in chicken....
her potatoes were probably free of pesticides and then she might have had it with some fresh milk from the local cow, milked that day (also hormone free!) and maybe some vegetable soup...I remember reading a book about a girl growing up in Russia, her mother would make the cholent from vegetable scraps and she said it was the most delicious cholent you could have ever tasted. dinner was toast with vegetable soup (I'm guessing the toast was made from homemade bread made with unrefined flour...) so everything was so natural.....
B'H, I'm grateful we are living in a time of abundance!! I'm sure the stress and strain of not having enough food is something I can't even imagine!!!!
today, even when you're buying "regular" ingredients- typical things from a grocery store- chicken, eggs, produce- there are chemicals/hormones/pesticides....even the healthy food feels problematic!!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:10 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Of course there is! Definitely a healthier diet will lead to aging more gracefully. We're not talking about only living long. We are talking about living well!

do you mean in terms of energy/overall health?

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In a way it makes so much sense.....she was eating very little, but very naturally- no food dyes, genetically altered food, processed meat, chemicals in chicken....
her potatoes were probably free of pesticides and then she might have had it with some fresh milk from the local cow, milked that day (also hormone free!) and maybe some vegetable soup...I remember reading a book about a girl growing up in Russia, her mother would make the cholent from vegetable scraps and she said it was the most delicious cholent you could have ever tasted. dinner was toast with vegetable soup (I'm guessing the toast was made from homemade bread made with unrefined flour...) so everything was so natural.....
B'H, I'm grateful we are living in a time of abundance!! I'm sure the stress and strain of not having enough food is something I can't even imagine!!!!
today, even when you're buying "regular" ingredients- typical things from a grocery store- chicken, eggs, produce- there are chemicals/hormones/pesticides....even the healthy food feels problematic!!
Also not constantly spiking blood sugar will lead to huge reduction in inflammation. Inflammation and cellular damage sets in as soon as blood sugar rises.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise