Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If income is too high for programs + no employer health ins
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:07 pm
What do you do?

How do you afford health insurance?

What are the options?

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do?

How do you afford health insurance?

What are the options?

Does the employer not offer health insurance at all or does the employer not offer a affordable plan?

Which state are you in?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:11 pm
But though the market place. That’s exactly what it’s there for

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:12 pm
I'm assuming you mean too high for medicaid?
I think in NY the ceiling is like 90 K for a family (from both incomes)
it's a very hard situation.
it's like the poor middle class doesn't always come out so ahead in terms of dispensable cash because so much goes to tuition and health insurance...
what about health shares? I think its more manageable, we were looking into one that is a few hundred a month..

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Does the employer not offer health insurance at all or does the employer not offer a affordable plan?

Which state are you in?

No health insurance. NY. Company is small.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I'm assuming you mean too high for medicaid?
I think in NY the ceiling is like 90 K for a family (from both incomes)
it's a very hard situation.
it's like the poor middle class doesn't always come out so ahead in terms of dispensable cash because so much goes to tuition and health insurance...
what about health shares? I think its more manageable, we were looking into one that is a few hundred a month..

We currently make $117K plus health insurance, but we may move and things may change. Wondering what will happen with health insurance until DH and/or I can get a job with some sort of coverage.

Edited to change our income info - I don't know why I wrote $20K less than we actually make originally...

Amarante

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:14 pm
Have you checked what your premiums would be if you purchased through the marketplace. You might be surprised by the amount of subsidy you would get.

In some circumstances, you can insure your children separately through low cost health programs - CHIPS I think they are called in some states.

But health insurance is expensive - no doubt.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:14 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
But though the market place. That’s exactly what it’s there for

How much are you looking at per month for a family of 4?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:15 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]How much are you looking at per month for a family of 4?[/quote

You have to plug your numbers in and see what the options are in your area ]

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:16 pm
[quote="amother [ Orange ]"]
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much are you looking at per month for a family of 4?[/quote

You have to plug your numbers in and see what the options are in your area ]

Got it, thanks.

Amarante

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much are you looking at per month for a family of 4?

You go to the on line marketplace in your state and fill out your information.

No one can tell you what it would be because it depends on what your income is as well as which plan you choose. They run from Bronze (least expensive) to Platinum (most expensive) but even within tiers the different offerings are priced differently.

You would find out what your actual premium cost is with whatever subsidy you are entitled to.

TCR

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We currently make $117K plus health insurance, but we may move and things may change. Wondering what will happen with health insurance until DH and/or I can get a job with some sort of coverage.

Edited to change our income info - I don't know why I wrote $20K less than we actually make originally...

what about healthshare options? That can work instead of insurance. way cheaper too

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No health insurance. NY. Company is small.

I didnt want to assume your were in NY.
You can get insurance through the marketplace, and if your employer doesn't offer, you may be able to get a subsidy as well.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

don't know if you checked into this yet...
if you're close enough to the 90K, just your kids might be eligible (not you).
I think there is a different ceiling for kids.
I am almost positive that if you and your husband are unemployed you will be eligible for medicaid (the whole family)
we moved back from israel and got on right away. my DH made 60K at his first job and I wasn't really working right away.
Now we are both working, I don't know what will be this year....possibly we will be able to file losses from a side business that lost during covid, hopefully it'll work out....

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
don't know if you checked into this yet...
if you're close enough to the 90K, just your kids might be eligible (not you).
I think there is a different ceiling for kids.
I am almost positive that if you and your husband are unemployed you will be eligible for medicaid (the whole family)
we moved back from israel and got on right away. my DH made 60K at his first job and I wasn't really working right away.
Now we are both working, I don't know what will be this year....possibly we will be able to file losses from a side business that lost during covid, hopefully it'll work out....

It's different being unemployed vs. moving to a new place, no? If I move from NY to Baltimore or NJ and don't get a job, that would qualify me for unemployment if I left a perfectly good job?

Also, from what I see, the limit for kids is something like 350% of the federal poverty level. We'd have to see if the kids qualified. But anyway, I need good health insurance because I have high-risk pregnancies.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:55 am
It's also worth getting kids chip even if it seems you'll only qualify short term because you keep it for a year after you no longer qualify for some reason. (Even after you update info). We have kids on chip for very low prices, my husband on a cheap catastrophic plan through the marketplace and I'm on a good plan through the marketplace- mine costs more than everyone else put together but that's necessary

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's different being unemployed vs. moving to a new place, no? If I move from NY to Baltimore or NJ and don't get a job, that would qualify me for unemployment if I left a perfectly good job?

Also, from what I see, the limit for kids is something like 350% of the federal poverty level. We'd have to see if the kids qualified. But anyway, I need good health insurance because I have high-risk pregnancies.

You wouldn't qualify for unemployment if you left your job, but you would qualify for cheap insurance if you don't have an income, especially if you're pregnant at the time

jd1212

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:45 am
Amarante wrote:
Have you checked what your premiums would be if you purchased through the marketplace. You might be surprised by the amount of subsidy you would get.

In some circumstances, you can insure your children separately through low cost health programs - CHIPS I think they are called in some states.

But health insurance is expensive - no doubt.

Yes, in NY it’s Child Health Plus- CHP. Subsidised it can be as low as $0/kid or full price at $200 per kid

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:13 pm
We just joined Refuah health share

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
We just joined Refuah health share

Does this count towards your tax return as being insured?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics