Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
ISO Aliyah Advice +Cost Comparisons -Brooklyn Vs Yerushalyim

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:41 pm
I have always dismissed aliya because I am not a fluent Hebrew speaker and my profession is one in which I would need to speak Hebrew fluently. I did not want to retrain/go into another field (I am almost 50 years old).

I just found out about a specific job opening in my field that would be a good fit for my skills and experience. This particular job is in an all English speaking firm, so on the job it would actually be an advantage.

Because I always thought aliyah was not in my future, I have not done any appropriate research or preparation. Almost 20 years ago, I did some preliminary research through NbN... I was not in a good place financially and dismissed it as pie in the sky.... more recently, custody of my children was an issue.

If I were to apply and be offered this job, the job would start in August. The job is in Jerusalem. I know Jerusalem is insanely expensive, but then so in NYC. I rent a 1 bedroom here for $2500. Would need a 3-room (2 bedroom) in Jerusalem.

The job would be a 2 year contract and my goal would be to make aliya after that, assuming I would qualify for another contract with them.

I would love to hear some general advice or feedback. I have 2 children, but only one (10th grade) would go with me. The other would stay here with his father to finish out yeshiva.

Posting anonymously to preserve privacy.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:45 pm
Others can comment about costs, but I wanted to mention that you may lose some of your aliyah benefits if you live here for 2 years before taking the plunge and making aliyah.

You may want to look into this.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:48 pm
TY DrMom... I know that is a factor and am currently researching the parameters (and would adjust aliyah timing accordingly)

chanchy123

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:50 pm
You should be able to find a larger apartment in Yerushalyim for less money or comparable - not sure if 2.5k includes utilities, in Israel your rent does not include utilities, but you can easily find a 2 bedroom apartment for 7,000 nis a month in the very sought after American neighborhoods and probably also 3 bedrooms but not in the very American areas.

https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....=3--1

essie14

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:57 pm
When I moved out of yerushalayim 5 years ago, my fully renovated 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment was renting for 6000 shekel, utilities not included. This was in katamon, very sought after area.
What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?
$2500 is almost 8k shekel right now. Definitely do-able.
If you're working in yerushalayim you wouldn't need a car.
Food costs will probably be comparable to NYC.
The big issue would be your 10th grader. He would be coming here in 11th grade which is when the bagruyot start.
Can he do some kind of online school and get a GED?
Or look into YTA. The tuition is high for Israel but cheap compared to the US. (Approx 20k shekel a year , about 6k USD)

Good luck! Happy to help with any other questions.
Feel free to PM me.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:01 am
I hope you can make this work!

Rent here does not include utilities or arnona (property tax), and often, large appliances are not included, so you would have to budget for those as well. There's a lively market in used appliances here. I think that for $2500 you should be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment.

To me, the big issue is schooling for your 10th grader. Am I correct in understanding that you're looking in the charedi system? Sometimes, the answer is to get a GED and then go into a post high school program.

bk2cuties

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:03 am
I don't know about the costs, but I'd be concerned about the 10th grader adjusting to the new life. They already have a lot going on at that age and a move like this can have negative consequences.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:04 am
chanchy123 wrote:
You should be able to find a larger apartment in Yerushalyim for less money or comparable - not sure if 2.5k includes utilities, in Israel your rent does not include utilities, but you can easily find a 2 bedroom apartment for 7,000 nis a month in the very sought after American neighborhoods and probably also 3 bedrooms but not in the very American areas.

https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....=3--1

My Brooklyn apartment includes water and garbage collection. It does not include electric (I have all electric, no gas). And I also pay for an internet connection. I do not have a landline.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:10 am
essie14 wrote:
When I moved out of yerushalayim 5 years ago, my fully renovated 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment was renting for 6000 shekel, utilities not included. This was in katamon, very sought after area.
What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?
$2500 is almost 8k shekel right now. Definitely do-able.
If you're working in yerushalayim you wouldn't need a car.
Food costs will probably be comparable to NYC.
The big issue would be your 10th grader. He would be coming here in 11th grade which is when the bagruyot start.
Can he do some kind of online school and get a GED?
Or look into YTA. The tuition is high for Israel but cheap compared to the US. (Approx 20k shekel a year , about 6k USD)

Good luck! Happy to help with any other questions.
Feel free to PM me.

She's a she. Smile She is going into 10th (she's 9th now). This year she started in public school b/c we got priced out of day school, but she has a lot of tutoring and extra judaic studies on the side (everything virtual this year, of course). She could do a GED, but she is very social so I would rather have her somewhere she might could meet people. Obviously, someplace with Americans would be critical.

I will look into YTA.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:11 am
I had assumed that OP is yeshivish, if she is not she has many more options. Garbage collection is not an extra fee in Israel (didn’t know that’s how it works in US) it is part of the city property tax (arnona).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:17 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I had assumed that OP is yeshivish, if she is not she has many more options. Garbage collection is not an extra fee in Israel (didn’t know that’s how it works in US) it is part of the city property tax (arnona).

not yeshivish... formerly lubavitch (divorced... son still in that community that's why he would stay here), attend a MO shul... we're an eclectic family, a bit of a mix. daughter's previous day school was MO with a zionist focus.

I don't pay property tax b/c I rent. In the US property taxes are paid by property owners (I guess an owner could make the tenant pay it, but it would still be billed to the owner so it would have to be added into the lease.)

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
not yeshivish... formerly lubavitch (divorced... son still in that community that's why he would stay here), attend a MO shul... we're an eclectic family, a bit of a mix. daughter's previous day school was MO with a zionist focus.

Great, you will have many more options and YTA will also be a good fit for your daughter. Good luck, sound totally doable.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:34 am
Look into Baka, Arnona, Katamon, katamonim neighborhoods.
Sorry, I thought when you said son, it meant your child you were bringing along as well Smile
YTA will most likely be your best bet.
B'hatzlacha! If your DD is on board I think you guys will do great!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:36 am
Definitely look into YTA.
Katamon or Baka would be great if you can find an apartment that works. It makes sense to make aliyah, rather than just moving, for many reasons. One is the support you'll get from nefesh bnefesh, which can be very helpful.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:05 am
For schools: You could look into the Naale program. Your DD could do this if she doesn't make aliyah until she graduates (even if you decide to do so earlier).

https://www.naale-elite-academy.com/en/

There may not be a hashkafic fit in Y'lem, so she would have to dorm.

Also, for bagruyot: Olim get all sorts of compensation/handicaps on bagruyot, with more compensation the later you made aliyah (relative to the test date). Not sure if it would help enough for someone arriving in 10th/11th grade.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:54 am
You can get 2 bedrooms in a really expensive neighborhood or 3 in a regular one for 8000
When the dollar goes up 2500 is even more than that.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:57 am
DrMom wrote:
For schools: You could look into the Naale program. Your DD could do this if she doesn't make aliyah until she graduates (even if you decide to do so earlier).

https://www.naale-elite-academy.com/en/

There may not be a hashkafic fit in Y'lem, so she would have to dorm.

Also, for bagruyot: Olim get all sorts of compensation/handicaps on bagruyot, with more compensation the later you made aliyah (relative to the test date). Not sure if it would help enough for someone arriving in 10th/11th grade.

I was going to suggest Naale. There are 2 chabad schools and one DL school for girls in the program. None in Yerushlayim. But she would have to dorm. Naale students get handicaps on bagriot.

Reality

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:42 am
I also was going to suggest Naaleh. Although be aware that to get all the Naaleh benefits your child has to come to Israel 3 months before the family does. So OP may not qualify for the free tuition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions