Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bedtime chapter books to read to 6 and 7 yr olds
Previous  1  2

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:07 am
I feel compelled to add my opinion! Since there is a boy involved, I can't recommend the Betsy Tacy books. I would add that I think it would be nice to alternate the Ramona books with the Henry books, where a boy is the main protagonist. The Mouse and the Motorcycle trilogy would also be enjoyed by children that age.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:51 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
I feel compelled to add my opinion! Since there is a boy involved, I can't recommend the Betsy Tacy books. I would add that I think it would be nice to alternate the Ramona books with the Henry books, where a boy is the main protagonist. The Mouse and the Motorcycle trilogy would also be enjoyed by children that age.

IIRC The Mouse and the Motorcycle is great.
There is a lot of stupids, shut ups, etc. in Beverly Cleary books. Just saying.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:
There are lots of picture books that are for more mature children 6 - 8

The Carp in the Bathtub

Does he end up as gefilte fish?

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:59 am
Im currently doing The return of the plant that ate dirty socks. There are about six or seven books in that series.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:07 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Does he end up as gefilte fish?

yes. that is life

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:19 pm
Despite being a big Cleary fan, I am not a huge mouse fan. I reread the Henry series not long ago and can't recall "stupids" or "shut ups". Perhaps when Ramona was having a temper tantrum? Neither Mrs. Huggins nor Mrs. Quimby would have tolerated such language. I am much more of a Beezus and a Henry fan myself. In the Henry books, Ramona is more likely to get her "comeuppance"--her bad behavior is not rewarded.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:56 pm
DD loved "A Series of Unfortunate Events". I read all of the characters in different voices, and made it very dramatic. She couldn't get enough of it.

I actually didn't read it exactly at bedtime, but after dinner. Once she had her bath and was in pajamas, we'd chat a little bit about her day, and then say Shema.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:07 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD loved "A Series of Unfortunate Events". I read all of the characters in different voices, and made it very dramatic. She couldn't get enough of it.

I actually didn't read it exactly at bedtime, but after dinner. Once she had her bath and was in pajamas, we'd chat a little bit about her day, and then say Shema.

I did too (and the Netflix series is fantastic!) but I think it may be a little scary for 6/7yo, especially just before bed

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:20 am
A series of Unfortunate Events is really scary. I probably still wouldn't read it (I'm a scary story baby Confused ) The Magic Tree House series and the Boxcar Children series are the best. Start with the first Boxcar Children book, they are very engaging and written very well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics