Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tell me what your job is like
Previous  1  2

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Another slp here. I always wonder why we wasted so much time in grad school studying info we’ll never use. I love my job but didn’t need all the science courses, that’s for sure! My job is actually great and involves a lot of problem-solving and creativity, but grad school didn’t teach me that.

I work closely with drs. I use all of the science info I’ve learned, especially the neuro parts.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:35 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I will not say my job title, because I don't want to get fired. This is the absolute truth.
I only work 5 hours a week. This is what I do during my 5-hour shift.

I check my emails.
I shop on either Amazon or Aliexpress (limiting myself to what I earn).
I watch Youtube.
I watch Netflix.
I daven.
Sometimes have to load the printer with paper.
I check Facebook and Instagram.
I look at my watch 5 minutes before my shift ends. If my night replacement is not there, I have to text him.

What am I missing here? are you supposed to be working but are not?
are you a watchman?
I dont' get it.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:38 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
What am I missing here? are you supposed to be working but are not?
are you a watchman?
I dont' get it.
She's a stay at home mom if I understood her post.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:04 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
She's a stay at home mom if I understood her post.

No. I work outside the home for 5 hours a week. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My job is to refill the printer and the photocopy machines with paper when they run out. I have to go to a closet in another part of the building where only staff have access to retrieve the paper.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:14 am
Another attorney here.

I'm a solo.
I work in between the kids leaving in the morning and then meeting their afternoon bus. Work from home. Work entails drafting and filing documents, responding to emails, conducting phone or zoom conferences with clients, other attorneys or the court. Sometimes I have to meet clients in person. Before covid I went to court occasionally. I don't work solidly all those hours, I also shop, do laundry, prepare supper and clean.

Posting to show that there's variety.

westchestermom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:44 am
I'm in charge of 8 operating rooms. My shift is 645 to 245 on business days, but we get 5 weeks vacation, 12 sick days plus holiday time. My job is to keep everything running smoothly. Make sure surgeons, patients, staff are all keeping to time goals and report any delays. Communicate with the people who supply instruments and equipment. Make sure everyone gets lunch and goes home on time. I love what I do but I miss taking care of patients and the higher up a nurse goes the more stressful it is, so I've scaled back my aspirations!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:41 am
Wow Westchestermom! That’s really cool. So you are a supervising RN?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:44 am
I’m a pediatric OT. I run a private practice in my local frum school. I love it. Since I’m out of town I can’t charge as much as I would like, but I make about 70k for the school year, working about 9-2pm daily.
To do my job you need to be great with kids and adults, caring, organized, and creative.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:54 am
I'm a nicu nurse. Work in a level 4 nicu caring for 1-3 babies for 12 HR shifts. Provide icu level care including respiratory support, iv fluids, feeds, meds. I also function as a charge nurse for that unit some of the time coordinating assignments and supporting approximately 30 nurses caring for 60+ patients. When I'm assigned to admit deliveries or when I'm in charge and more help is needed, I actively participate in rescuscitation and stabilization of babies immediately after birth. This job requires critical thinking, time management, people skills and the ability to stay very calm and level headed in life and death situations.

librarylady

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:02 am
Hi! I'm a children's librarian for a public library. I have an MSLIS (master's in library & info science) which is required for such a job though tbh most of what's important I learned on the job. The schooling was really pretty easy for me, I love books and information and was always a good student.

The library world is very liberal and there are challenges in that regard but BH I managed to get by so far without compromising. I chose children's as my focus so the material I work with is not as shmutzy but you would be surprised what they manage to squeeze in Smile

My job involves programming (doing storytimes, arts and crafts programs, science programs, computer classes, school visits, etc), collection development (buying new books, weeding old books, updating, classifying, shifting collections), reference and RA (readers advisory--basically helping people find the books/info they need).

My hours fluctuate somewhat depending on the day; libraries like to offer evening hours and they want me there during the after-school crunch, but it's basically 40 hours a week. It was easier to be flexible before having kids but now I'm thinking that if I had the opportunity to work in a Jewish school as a librarian, even if it pays less, it would be worth the better hours. That being said I have a super easy commute (10-15 min) BH and a nice group of people that I work with, pleasant atmosphere and relaxed environment and it's nice when there are frum customers coming in. Everything is unionized and beauracratic which is super frustrating sometimes but there are benefits too. I make about $30/hr and get health insurance and vacation/sick days. The pay goes up with seniority and if you become a manager which I think I might be interested in but I'm so young.

westchestermom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Wow Westchestermom! That’s really cool. So you are a supervising RN?

I'm a charge nurse, RN. The operating room is like a different world than any other nursing but I love it.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:31 pm
Newborn photographer.

Babies pee and poop on my skirt and leggings and props. 2-3 year olds who have just been displaced from being the center of attention dont stay still for a microsecond. Postpartum moms and exhausted dads are moody. Holding a 4 lb camera+ lens and squatting up and down for hours. It’s 78-80 degrees when the baby is naked. All with a mask. Lots of laundry after each session. Endless editing of red/magenta/jaundice/purple newborn baby skin tone. Yet I do love creating breathtaking, meaningful art for my clients!!!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:50 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Newborn photographer.

Babies pee and poop on my skirt and leggings and props. 2-3 year olds who have just been displaced from being the center of attention dont stay still for a microsecond. Postpartum moms and exhausted dads are moody. Holding a 4 lb camera+ lens and squatting up and down for hours. It’s 78-80 degrees when the baby is naked. All with a mask. Lots of laundry after each session. Endless editing of red/magenta/jaundice/purple newborn baby skin tone. Yet I do love creating breathtaking, meaningful art for my clients!!!!

Omg!! Who would have known everything that went into it?!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:14 pm
The Rabbi's Wife
Is this a full time job ?
Yess, it's heaving tones of guests every shabbos meal with no exception, it's being a free therapist, it's being a cook for mums who just gave birth, or sick people, it's being a kallah teacher, it's making sure my kids and baby do always look neat and clean, it's trying not to forget who you didnt see at shul so you can call them during the week, it's attending many simchos at night/ day during the week (before covid) , it's managing my home and kids quite often alone when my DH travels for many days, it's never going to sleep when you planned because there's always something urgent,
And this is besides my full time job....

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
The Rabbi's Wife
Yess, it's heaving tones of guests every shabbos meal with no exception, it's being a free therapist, it's being a cook for mums who just gave birth, or sick people, it's being a kallah teacher, it's making sure my kids and baby do always look neat and clean, it's trying not to forget who you didnt see at shul so you can call them during the week, it's attending many simchos at night/ day during the week (before covid) , it's managing my home and kids quite often alone when my DH travels for many days, it's never going to sleep when you planned because there's always something urgent,

Amazing. Have no idea how you do this. Hashem should repay you.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
The Rabbi's Wife

You are amazing!!
Since my children have been old enough, which is many years, I am at shul within a few minutes of start time every week. The rebbetzin of my mo shul did not call me when I sat shiva for my parent, also a member of the shul. I got a voice mail the day after I got up from shiva...

I hope your congregants appreciate you.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
You are amazing!!
Since my children have been old enough, which is many years, I am at shul within a few minutes of start time every week. The rebbetzin of my mo shul did not call me when I sat shiva for my parent, also a member of the shul. I got a voice mail the day after I got up from shiva...

I hope your congregants appreciate you.

I really feel our community is giving back to us so much , we truly love them and feel loved. It's a kiruv community.
But, even though we do our best, we are human and we can forget or not notice . So please, remember a rebbetzin is also a human beeing.
Sometimes I feel like I am not allowed to be tired or not in the mood (9 months pregnant in the middle of august etc...).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics