Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Open and close GE® 21.3 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer on Shabbos

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:15 pm
What has to be done to open and close GE® 21.3 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer on Shabbos?

https://www.geappliances.com/a.....SMRWW

Can I safely assume that if BP stores sell it, its usable on Shabbos (can be opened and closed)?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:43 pm
I think most people don't necessarily use their extra freezer on Shabbos.
You can check if it has a Shabbos mode, but idk.

I just keep anything we may need Shabbos in my kitchen freezer (that's really all that's in there) and use the big freezer for everything else.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 8:53 pm
Really? People would buy a freezer they cant open on Shabbos?

My plan was using it for raw meat, that I dont need over Shabbos, but also all desserts to be used on Shabbos that my regular freezer doesnt have enough space for.

Wouldnt/shouldnt seller have told me I cant use it on Shabbos? I cant wait to ask him.

Simcha36

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:01 pm
Frum fridge tech said many friedges are an issue for shabbos period.
A Frum store sells all and doesnt guarantee one way or another.
Recently looked in a frum store specifically for a shabbos approved refrigerator.
Star K has info about it, and so is LOR.

Yes, its a good question, spend less on non shabbos compitable for extra and not use it (would be same as any Muktza in house, like computer for examle, take all shabbos needs friday morning), or spend more on a Halachically approved. You will be surprised, your regular refrigerator may have issues as well. (as per technician)

In Israel they sell Tzomet Rabbinically approved models.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:02 pm
What specifically are you worried the issue may be?

I know the stores sell a switch like a shabbos lock for the light.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What specifically are you worried the issue may be?

I know the stores sell a switch like a shabbos lock for the light.

Not only light. Door beeps when its opened, and stops beeping when its closed.

Simcha36

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:16 pm
Tech explained all refrigerators now days have sensors, that are electronic.

Open and close door activate sensors and they respond. Guy is a talmid Chochom and knows electronics for 25 years +

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:23 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
Tech explained all refrigerators now days have sensors, that are electronic.

Open and close door activate sensors and they respond. Guy is a talmid Chochom and knows electronics for 25 years +

Ill call store tomorrow where frum salesperson will know best, but it sounds like this freezer cant be opened on Shabbos?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really? People would buy a freezer they cant open on Shabbos?

My plan was using it for raw meat, that I dont need over Shabbos, but also all desserts to be used on Shabbos that my regular freezer doesnt have enough space for.

Wouldnt/shouldnt seller have told me I cant use it on Shabbos? I cant wait to ask him.

So move what's in your regular freezer into the ge and desserts into the regular one. My regular freezer has just challah, frozen fruit, and desserts. Everything else is in the big one.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
So move what's in your regular freezer into the ge and desserts into the regular one. My regular freezer has just challah, frozen fruit, and desserts. Everything else is in the big one.

This is not good for me...

I like keeping frozen veg and bread, frozen pizza, some ice cream, some chicken/meat that I use weekly... in my regular freezer.

This means that I cant eat something on Shabbos or Yom Tov, thats in big freezer, that I didnt plan to eat in advance????

A Siegelman cake box that Id like to use without advance planning, would take up way too much space in regular freezer and might not even fit.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:47 am
When I got the freezer I have (don't know if it's the same as the op is asking about) the sales person told me how to unscrew the light bulb. I do open and close it on shabbos and yomtov because it's where I keep all the food I need: ice cream, cake and for yomtov it's the pans of food for second days. The bottom freezer I have under the fridge doesn't fit half these things. As long as you open and close the door quickly it doesn't beep.
Same with fridge, I always laughed at the people who used mountains of tape to keep the light from opening..... I just took out the bulbs.
If you ask a shaila, it becomes treif.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:59 am
There are often ways to fool the sensor into thinking the door is closed. If it's magnetic, you can put a thin magnet over the sensor. In my fridge, it's a switch that I just tape down.

mfb

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:33 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
When I got the freezer I have (don't know if it's the same as the op is asking about) the sales person told me how to unscrew the light bulb. I do open and close it on shabbos and yomtov because it's where I keep all the food I need: ice cream, cake and for yomtov it's the pans of food for second days. The bottom freezer I have under the fridge doesn't fit half these things. As long as you open and close the door quickly it doesn't beep.
Same with fridge, I always laughed at the people who used mountains of tape to keep the light from opening..... I just took out the bulbs.
If you ask a shaila, it becomes treif.

You should ask because the lights are not the only issue. Open doors trigger different things that you can’t see.
Also new fridge/freezers come with LED strip lights that don’t unscrew!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:34 am
“Town appliance” in Lakewood sells freezers that are ok to use on shabbos. Or they can tell you which makes and models are permissible.
I’m sure if you tell them at the store in BP that you want a freezer that can be used on shabbos, they will tell you what your options are.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:56 am
Many freezers sold in bp cannot be used on shabbos. Ge fridges particularly cant be used without special shabbos gizmo sold for approximately 100. Call the store to ask about ur model

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:11 pm
From what I have heard, all GE refridgerators are made with a port. You can buy a shabbos mode computer that plugs into the port and your GE fridge is now set to be on shabbos mode for every shbbos and Yomtov. I heard the computer piece costs about $200

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:25 pm
The GE Shabbos Keeper is amazing. But I'm not 100% sure it sincs with stand up freezers yet. It's best to ask at a frum appliance store. You can also call Star K.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen