Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Leib
Previous  1  2

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:31 pm
Aubergine, are you for real? Yes, many many leibs or leibls are really named Aryeh and the leib is a nickname, but there are also Aryeh Leibs just as there are Yitzchak Eiziks and Tova Gittels, and there are people named just Leib or Gittel and nothing else. My fil is a Hershel, not a Tzvi Hersh, and my neighbor is an Eizik, not a Yitzchak Eizik. And this is not a BT thing. Friend of mine went back to the town his grandparents came from and took pics of his family's tombstones to try to sort out who was who. there were both Leibs and Aryehs galore, and I hardly think they were all BTs, since BTs weren't a "thing" in pre-WWII Europe.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:11 pm
Yehuda = thanks.
Yehuda is associated with lion which is Leib in Yiddish

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Aubergine, are you for real? Yes, many many leibs or leibls are really named Aryeh and the leib is a nickname, but there are also Aryeh Leibs just as there are Yitzchak Eiziks and Tova Gittels, and there are people named just Leib or Gittel and nothing else. My fil is a Hershel, not a Tzvi Hersh, and my neighbor is an Eizik, not a Yitzchak Eizik. And this is not a BT thing. Friend of mine went back to the town his grandparents came from and took pics of his family's tombstones to try to sort out who was who. there were both Leibs and Aryehs galore, and I hardly think they were all BTs, since BTs weren't a "thing" in pre-WWII Europe.

Female names are a completely different story.
Are you sure your FIL is not called Tzvi when in shul or getting an aliyah?
There were a lot of "name" mistakes in pre war Europe depending on if Rabonim lived in the city or not.
Anyways, everyone is free to do as they please.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:56 pm
Ok I’m not asking what names go with it...I’m asking the meaning? Does it have two different meanings or one meaning?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I’m not asking what names go with it...I’m asking the meaning? Does it have two different meanings or one meaning?

Leib is a lion.
Yehuda is thanks and can go with Leib.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:25 pm
I have a Meir Leib, who we call Meir Leib (both names). He is named for my husband’s grandfather who was likely named for the Malbim who was also Meir Leib.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Leib is a lion.
Yehuda is thanks and can go with Leib.

Anything can go with anything!!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:52 pm
My son's name is avrum Leib..my grandmother said that was her grandfather's name....recently my parents were in Hungary..and found the zeidas metzeiva..and taka said avrum Yehuda !! My son was named Avrum Leib by bris

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:59 pm
My grandfather's name was just Leib. He was born into a Yiddish speaking family in Ukraine. I was told the name means lion in Yiddish.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:09 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I have a Meir Leib, who we call Meir Leib (both names). He is named for my husband’s grandfather who was likely named for the Malbim who was also Meir Leib.

The Malbim was Meir Yehuda (Leibish) ztz"l btw.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
My son's name is avrum Leib..my grandmother said that was her grandfather's name....recently my parents were in Hungary..and found the zeidas metzeiva..and taka said avrum Yehuda !! My son was named Avrum Leib by bris

My son’s name is also avrum leib. His given name is avrum aryeh. We call him avrum leib because that is what my grandfather was called.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:53 pm
My experience in life as well as discussions I have had with a dayan who does Gitten.
You'll never meet an FFB Chassidishe person who is named Hersh, Leib, Ber, Mendel. They are either just Tzvi, Yehuda/Aryeh, Dov, Menachem or sometimes combined together with the Yiddish like a double name.
According to the dayan the only exception he has come across are BTs or maybe some MO who may not have known better.
He said if someone mistakenly thinks their name is just Mendel they do Menachem, and I was curious what happens if someone thinks their name is just Leib because how do they decide if it is Yehuda or Aryeh, but he didn't have an answer and I didn't follow up. I should though, because it is interesting.

Re the bolded: This is so condescending and so wrong. You think an MO's knowledge of Hebrew is inferior to that of Chassidim? Do you know the history of Chassidus?

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:14 pm
The Malbim was Meir Yehuda (Leibish) ztz"l btw.

Not what I was told, but interesting to know. Smile

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:33 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Re the bolded: This is so condescending and so wrong. You think an MO's knowledge of Hebrew is inferior to that of Chassidim? Do you know the history of Chassidus?

I love you!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:33 pm
My son is another Leib with a first name other than Yehuda or Aryeh. He's named for someone who died in the Holocaust- his only living relative attested to his full name before we named our son, and he as no matzeivah to prove otherwise.

I love his full name.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:35 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

No. I don't think an MOs knowledge of Hebrew is inferior to Chassidims at all, but maybe their knowledge of Yiddish names. I was just saying what I heard but I can edit the post to remove it. I didn't intend to be condescending and thanks for pointing it out.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:21 am
Elfrida wrote:
And what if someone actually was named Mendel or Herschel at his bris? A get needs to include all possible names the person has been called, including nicknames. That doesn't mean that it is their name.

My husband has a friend named Hersh Leib. He also has a friend Leib, and a friend Leiby.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:27 am
OP, in case it wasn't clarified, Leib is commonly paired with Yehuda, as I understand, because when Yaakov Avinu blessed him he compared Yehuda to a lion cub.
Therefore the names are strongly associated.

Last edited by Miri1 on Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy2x

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:32 am
Yehuda means thanks, Leib means lion. The reason people put the 2 together is because Yaakov Avinu compared Yehuda to a lion when giving his sons their brachos at the end of his life. He tells Yehuda to be like a lion and conquer the yetzer hara. Other names also go with Leib but the literal translation of Leib is lion, not thanks.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:42 am
....Therefore people in Yiddish speaking homes might call a boy named Yehuda by bris by the name Leib/Leiby.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names