Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Whats up with WhatsApp?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:45 pm
I work in privacy /legal/tech fields. I read through the privacy policy and related documentation.

The new policy isn't that different than before. Facebook isn't reading your messages, listening to your calls, viewing your photos.

What they are doing is taking the information you do share with them already (name, phone number, payments information you share with whatsapp, when you last used the app, etc) and sharing it with other Facebook products. Which may impact the ads you see on Facebook/Instagram.

They are also telling you that if you permit other apps, like Google drive or icloud to back up your messages, you are sharing that information with "third parties".

It's not that different than before, they've just laid it out more transparently.

This whole thing is ridiculous. So much misinformation from a bunch of people who haven't read the data and privacy policy.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:49 pm
You mean “non privacy policy” in real speak

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:51 pm
Insulting someone’s reading comprehension or casting aspersions will get you nowhere fast

Insults are when ya got no substantive response

What happened to the vaunted call for tolerance? When one’s opinion disagrees with another?

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:56 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Most people that are on WhatsApp, is also on Facebook, and posting every time they hang out with their friends, tagging them, telling them where you are.. The best defense you can have from modern technology is to stop sharing. The thing you're agreeing to here is the merging of information. for me when I heard that WhatsApp was purchased by Facebook, it was assumed that it'll share information from both parties.
Again, if you're on google, Facebook, instagram, WhatsApp. you're already giving them personal information. When you click on links, you tell them where you shop. etc. (if not fb, then google) Limit your online profile, if you don't want them to have info. Yelling gevald, while going online is kinda funny.

I don't have FB or Instagram. WhatsApp started out having nothing to do with Zuckerberg or his companies. I wanted to be able to send messages securely and easily to family and friends. That's being taken away since Zuckerberg could care less about anyone's privacy but his own.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:03 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I work in privacy /legal/tech fields. I read through the privacy policy and related documentation.

The new policy isn't that different than before. Facebook isn't reading your messages, listening to your calls, viewing your photos.

What they are doing is taking the information you do share with them already (name, phone number, payments information you share with whatsapp, when you last used the app, etc) and sharing it with other Facebook products. Which may impact the ads you see on Facebook/Instagram.

They are also telling you that if you permit other apps, like Google drive or icloud to back up your messages, you are sharing that information with "third parties".

It's not that different than before, they've just laid it out more transparently.

This whole thing is ridiculous. So much misinformation from a bunch of people who haven't read the data and privacy policy.

If you dont have Facebook or insta it's worth it to move. It does give more permission to share and monetize. Think eventually seeing ads pop up within your WhatsApp conversations.

Short term you might not be doing much by moving. But long term Facebook will be reaching further and further into your life and pocket.

My husband is a developer. He never had and refuses to have social media. But he says that it's really not too late to move and not give any further access to these tech companies.

He thinks right now signal is more secure as it's open source.

It's not just about the legal speak now. It's about the direction these tech companies and specifically Facebook are going.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
You're wrong on both accounts.

Jack Phillips was penalized by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission in 2014 for declining to bake a wedding cake for a same-relations couple-- https://www.ncregister.com/new.....baker

And in the case of the Orthodox Jewish groceries who put up signs about dress codes, the NYC Commission on Human Rights found the signs problematic and sued the stores. https://gothamist.com/news/nyc.....codes

So the government in both cases penalized civilians for exercising their rights in choosing who to do business with. Why is twitter allowed to ban people they disagree with if private companies cannot decide to do that (for dress code or even decorate a cake which is different than selling a standard cake)?

In both cases, how did civil rights commissions get involved? In Monsey, those signs are still up. The baker refused to bake for a gay wedding and it went all the way to the Supreme Court. They ruled in his favor.
In a Communist country, the government owns everything and speaking against the government has far more penalties than deleting someone's tweet.

number

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:44 pm
WhatsApp is the one property that fb has never been able to monetize. They’ve tried to start with advertising in the past but the backlash was too big.

Right now fb’s biggest concern is that pixels are going away soon. The pixel is what lets fb know which sites you recently visited, so you’re served related ads on Instagram and fb. Without the pixel fb will have a hard time serving up related ads.

My guess is that fb will somehow use WhatsApp info to help target ads on fb and Instagram. How that would work I’m not quite sure.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:45 pm
southernbubby wrote:
In both cases, how did civil rights commissions get involved? In Monsey, those signs are still up. The baker refused to bake for a gay wedding and it went all the way to the Supreme Court. They ruled in his favor.
In a Communist country, the government owns everything and speaking against the government has far more penalties than deleting someone's tweet.

The government didnt have to get involved in either case but chose to get involved because they went after people they disagree with which is communism. The baker was lucky to get a ruling in his favor at the supreme court level but there are no guarantees for that in the future especially if Biden packs the court. Biden is not even in office yet yet the communist have already taken over control and are banning and penalizing everyone or anyone who disagrees with them. I hope you wake up and realize what is going on before anything really bad happens (like being rounded up from our homes for daring to speak our minds, etc).

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:49 pm
ohmygosh wrote:
I don't have FB or Instagram. WhatsApp started out having nothing to do with Zuckerberg or his companies. I wanted to be able to send messages securely and easily to family and friends. That's being taken away since Zuckerberg could care less about anyone's privacy but his own.

Yael took away the politics thread from me , boo boo hoo. I had it. And now I don’t. < being Sarcastic. They have a right like any other owner of a media platform to make their own ruleS.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:53 pm
I don't think half the posters in this thread know what communism is.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:58 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I don't think half the posters in this thread know what communism is.

Communism - 21st century edition. We own our homes and businesses - but Big Tech owns us.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Communism - 21st century edition. We own our homes and businesses - but Big Tech owns us.

That's capitalism.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:03 pm
That's capitalism.

How so?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:04 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
How so?

Big tech doesn't actually own you. You decide where to put your money and ideas. That's capitalism.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:13 pm
Big tech doesn't actually own you. You decide where to put your money and ideas. That's capitalism.

Except that people are not deciding for themselves, the big tech companies are making the decisions for them. An instagrammer wanted to do a live but was blocked, Trump cant tweet, Parler has been shut down, etc. Where is congress to stop the tech companies from banning people they disagree with? Oh wait, these big companies pay congress thousands of dollars so the govt lets them do whatever they want and are aiding and abetting in the silencing of voices (or in the removal of free speech). When you silence opposition and dissent you have communism which is where America is now at even before biden is in office. Scared for the future when biden takes over and destroys america completely. Hashem, please let me be wrong about this.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:15 pm

its nearly impossible to live a 'regular life', ie what's perceived as 'the norm' now without becoming data for big tech to monetize.

That's outside of any definition of capitalism. I don't see where capitalism is part of this conversation.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The government didnt have to get involved in either case but chose to get involved because they went after people they disagree with which is communism. The baker was lucky to get a ruling in his favor at the supreme court level but there are no guarantees for that in the future especially if Biden packs the court. Biden is not even in office yet yet the communist have already taken over control and are banning and penalizing everyone or anyone who disagrees with them. I hope you wake up and realize what is going on before anything really bad happens (like being rounded up from our homes for daring to speak our minds, etc).

I can't say what will happen in 10 or 15 years but I live in a neighborhood where few people even have internet and where the frum people on the school board are being opposed by the non-Jewish community because the schools are terrible and the frum people are in charge. Basically the frum community has ignored much of the pandemic restrictions because they disengage from the media and have their own media. For the most part, life is no different than before. If Cuomo is the communist dictator that I have to wake up about, I don't know too many people who want to re-elect him but there probably are people who love the fact that he is sitting on a stockpile of vaccines and will happily vote for him again.
People currently do have options and don't have to be ruled by Twitter and Facebook if those are really agents of the North Korean government.

Maybe

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:49 am

Wrong ! FaKbook reads & censors your posts

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:32 am

Exactly this. There is so much misinformation and people spreading it. Nothing is really changing in terms of privacy. There will be a new feature which will let businesses have what’s up accounts similar to on Facebook help businesses can private message. People who are concerned should not use the payment option through WhatsApp that will be available. And whatsapp will warn you and let you know when you were talking to a business and ask you if you want to proceed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....3famp

JD03

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:20 pm
Duggie wrote:
Is signal like Telegram?

I switched from Whatsapp to Signal because of privacy concerns. With Signal I was told by a source I trust that my information would stay private. I'm not sure if the same is true of Telegram. Also, from what I know, Telegram has social groups for many different things, but I've never heard of Signal having those. I only use it for interacting with my contacts.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media