Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Community with an out-of-town feel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 8:23 pm
Hi! We are beginning to learn more about communities in Israel as we explore the possibility of Aliyah. As I research, it seems like all the places with English speaking chareidi communities are big cities! Coming from a very small out of town community in the US, the idea of a big city kind of scares me! (For example, my kids school has 115 students in grades k-8, including the boys and girls classes.) Are there any black hat/yeshivish communities with a large Anglo presence that are smaller and have that out-of-town feel?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:21 pm
Bump. Don't want this to fall down Smile

OP - when you say "black hat," are you referring to a Torah attitude, or the levush? I can point out communities with the former which suit your terms.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:47 pm
I’m in Givat zeev, feel free to PM me Qs

tree of life

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:51 pm
I'm in ramet beis shemesh aleph pm happy to help you

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:57 pm
RBS does not have an OOT feel. GZ might. But there are multiple parallel classes still.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:09 pm
Iymnok wrote:
RBS does not have an OOT feel. GZ might. But there are multiple parallel classes still.

Hey, I second Givat Zeev.

It's definitely got an out of town feel and it's a very warm and friendly community.

Roots

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:44 pm
karmiel has a great community I lived there for 2 yrs and loved it. there are 2 communities- the older chareidi community in the 'dromit' neighborhood like a 10 minute drive has a bunch of anglos and the newer community in the 'meyasdim' neigborhood- maybe 6 yrs old- is part of the yeshiva that opened there- is all young kollel couples looking for cheaper housing options than in central israel
karmiel is in the north- lets say parallel to acco on the map on the east- its a 2.5 hr drive from tel aviv -its a gorgous place and might be what ur looking for

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:04 pm
Rechovot is a very small city with an out of town feel. Although there are a few very pretty areas that are on the more expensive side, most of the city is not that pretty. The Anglo community is smallish and is mostly Americans from out of town communities. There is a girl's elementary school that is small and a boys chader. Both are more open charadi and are under misrad hachinuch. And a boys yeshiva high school is starting this year. Check out chatam website.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:29 am
I don't reccomend Karmiel if you don't want to integrate and become very chareidi. Also if your kids are older than five or six.

RBS is pretty OOT but you want a yishuv. Would you live over the green line? Look into meitzad. In the gush. It's a chareidi yishuv. Very nice and small, they don't have a high school so girls commute to Beitar for high school.

I came from OOT and feel very at home in RBS.

Duggie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:10 am
What you're describing only exists in karmiel or givat zev, I believe RBS might be too big to be considered out of town but you might find something here

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:33 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I don't reccomend Karmiel if you don't want to integrate and become very chareidi. Also if your kids are older than five or six.

RBS is pretty OOT but you want a yishuv. Would you live over the green line? Look into meitzad. In the gush. It's a chareidi yishuv. Very nice and small, they don't have a high school so girls commute to Beitar for high school.

I came from OOT and feel very at home in RBS.

I second Metzad, I live nearby. But it is very small and far out, you will need a car. Also depending on the age of your children they might have to bus (I think the boy’s school only goes up to second grade or so).
There are almost no local services, although it is growing.

Success10

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:35 am
There's also TelzStone, and Tel Tzion.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:40 am
Metzad or Telzstone.
Metzad is a yishuv, it has one makolet and you can't manage without a car.
Telzstone is right by Yerushalayim and has a few stores, you can get anything there or take a bus to Ym.
It really depends on what you want- do you just dislike cities or do you want the 'country'?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:41 am
Are you aware that American yeshivish (and especially OOT yeshivish) is not exactly equal to Chareidi? That might be a bigger issue for you than the aspect you're mentioning.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:50 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I second Metzad, I live nearby. But it is very small and far out, you will need a car. Also depending on the age of your children they might have to bus (I think the boy’s school only goes up to second grade or so).
There are almost no local services, although it is growing.

They have a bus once an hour to Jerusalem and people do live without cars. There's a yishuv what'sapp group for rides and people ride share all the time with each other. It's very OOT feel and quite a few English speakers.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:04 am
They have a bus once an hour to Jerusalem and people do live without cars. There's a yishuv what'sapp group for rides and people ride share all the time with each other. It's very OOT feel and quite a few English speakers.

When is there once an hour?
https://bus.gov.il/?language=e...../1/-1
I wish....

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:30 am
WitchKitty wrote:
When is there once an hour?
https://bus.gov.il/?language=e...../1/-1
I wish....

When I was there I remember that. Perhaps they don't have that anymore.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:47 am

Do you live in Metzad?
It does not have a bus once an hour buses are infrequent, not very reliable, and take a very long route.
It’s a great place to live if you’re looking for a chareidi community that is not judgmental and inclusive, but it does have its challenges. I would not move out here without a car, if you’re a young couple without kids it’s manageable. Otherwise, it’s not easy, especially if you’re coming from suburban US.

Last edited by chanchy123 on Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:51 am
When I was there I remember that. Perhaps they don't have that anymore.

There were never more buses than there are now, a couple years ago a few buses were added.
In the afternoon there are buses every two hours, so it might seem more convenient.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:37 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the replies- I forgot to check the 'follow' feature and was wondering why I wasn't getting responses!
We've gotten a lot more info over the past day. And I appreciate all that people said!

To give more info on us: we are chofetz Chaim. I learned that there is a CC community in RBS including a high school. This is a big draw for us. But I'm still interested in learning about smaller places. I'm not sure the difference between "american yeshivish" and "chareidi".

Metzad sounds like it's too small for us. I will have three kids above 2nd grade and would like a local school. I've heard a bit about karmiel, but not much. I want to learn more. Same for Givat Zeev. Their website describes the newly built area as "five towns" and "LA"-- which is not our crowd at all.

I've bookmarked this now, so I'll see your responses. Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions