Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Erev shabbos MM
Previous  1  2  3

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:51 pm
Dips and rolls

Shabbos breakfast- danish amd ice coffee/ yogurt

Meat finger food platter with sauces

Mini Meat board

Meat Salad

Small cake

Small kugel + small hot bowl Cholent

Challah and grape juice

Veggie platter and dip

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:54 pm
My biggest issue with home cooked foods is proper food handling and safety. Many people load up their car in the morning with all their mishloach manos and then spend the day delivering. Many times the food ends up being unrefrigerated for many hours. Someone told me they gave dips and liver when Purim was on a Thursday and she admitted that these foods were in her car for hours. It wasn't cold enough that year to call the car "refrigerated" and I was horrified.

That said, if I cook anything I keep it in the freezer until I deliver them and I deliver in batches anyway so nothing stays out for long. But I only did that one year. Otherwise I bake something.

If you send a Shabbos food it should be something that can go in the freezer if the recipient already has lots of Shabbos food.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:56 pm
mandr wrote:
My biggest issue with home cooked foods is proper food handling and safety. Many people load up their car in the morning with all their mishloach manos and then spend the day delivering. Many times the food ends up being unrefrigerated for many hours. Someone told me they gave dips and liver when Purim was on a Thursday and she admitted that these foods were in her car for hours. It wasn't cold enough that year to call the car "refrigerated" and I was horrified.

That said, if I cook anything I keep it in the freezer until I deliver them and I deliver in batches anyway so nothing stays out for long. But I only did that one year. Otherwise I bake something.

If you send a Shabbos food it should be something that can go in the freezer if the recipient already has lots of Shabbos food.

Purim will be freezing this year for most of us.

iyar

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:01 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
With corona do you think ppl will keep home cooked items.

That's a good question. People buy take out. If you're okay eating the pizza the guy in the pizza shop touched, will you not be okay eating the challa your neighbor baked?

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:24 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Purim will be freezing this year for most of us.

How do you know? You really can't know. That day can be 45 degrees, for example. Which is in the danger zone for food. And a car is still not a refrigerator since the steam is on in there most of the time.

s.rosie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:09 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I once did a mini challah, where every strand was made with a different food coloring.
The outside looked typical brown, but when you cut it open, it (tastes typical and) looks cute and purim'dig.

This sounds so cute! I may try this if I am feeling adventurous

s.rosie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:13 pm
Wow thanks everyone! I have plenty of nice ideas now!
I think in my community people would really appreciate home cooked items such as challah and cakes regardless of covid.
I can buy dips and deliver the mm early on in the day so that the dips wont be sitting around out of the fridge!
Hopefully I can find some cute bags to present it all and it will all come together.

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:21 pm
s.rosie wrote:
This sounds so cute! I may try this if I am feeling adventurous

It is a cute idea. But that is actually something that you work hard on, everyone says it's so pretty and then throws it out because they don't want to eat the food coloring.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:40 pm
s.rosie wrote:
Wow thanks everyone! I have plenty of nice ideas now!
I think in my community people would really appreciate home cooked items such as challah and cakes regardless of covid.
I can buy dips and deliver the mm early on in the day so that the dips wont be sitting around out of the fridge!
Hopefully I can find some cute bags to present it all and it will all come together.

Its very cute but I can’t imagine a respectable older person appreciating a colorful challah. You can’t go wrong with a regular homemade classic challah but colorful seems like an arts & Crafts project for young people.
Just my opinion. Feel free to do whatever you want!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:43 pm
mandr wrote:
How do you know? You really can't know. That day can be 45 degrees, for example. Which is in the danger zone for food. And a car is still not a refrigerator since the steam is on in there most of the time.

Agree. I don't think perishables are the best idea. Unless you took it straight from a refrigerator and gave it to your neighbor next door. By the time things sit out on somebody's table, get packed up and delivered, could be an hour or two without refrigeration. I prefer to err on the side of caution, so I wouldn't eat it. Challah or Kugel is ok. But not
Yogurt or salad with mayo, etc. Definitely not chopped liver!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:15 pm
clowny wrote:
I’m so sorry.
I’m not being negative at all. In fact I think you’re not being too nice by jumping on me, I’m really trying to understand this. Because if I cooked a pot of soup for my family of 9, what in the world would I do with a container of soup that feeds a family of 4? Please enlighten me.
And receiving nosh or even 2 cupcakes which is just extra is a little different than receive soup.

A lot of people will sit down and eat a bowl of soup as soon as they get it since they're hungry and on the run on purim. And if there's enough for 4, more than likely only half the family likes anyway. Or they can just serve half portions to everybody.
Many people send a 1 portion salad for MM and someone sits down to eat it, while someone else in the family sits down to the other MM containing 1 danish and a coffee, someone else sits down to the mini crackers & dips, etc.

DVOM

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:26 pm
We are giving out a small bouquet of flowers and some flower shaped cookie pops (tied in with the real flowers).

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:14 pm
I love the small healthy foods. That’s normally my lunch on Purim day. I am fine with not being enough for the whole family.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:30 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
I already spoke to dh about it. Cause its early shabbos, we still have to eat lunch and listen to megillah. There really isnt much time to deliver mm. Plus I dont know what the teachers are planning. And I'm not interested in DH going with the kids into other people's homes. So I'm making 5 and we will leave it by the door.

As what I'm making I'll make cake, that's always appreciated especially for shabbos. Dh always adds smoke salmon and wine. Sometimes herring and fillet salmon.

Dhs recipes please.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics