Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Noom reviews
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:55 am
Has anybody tried it?
Can you give me the gist of it in a nutshell?
Did you like it?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:58 am
I like it. I did it 2 years ago and then stopped when o got pregnant. I just signed up again. I find it easy

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:00 am
My husband did it, he was very successful. It takes into account the mental aspect of eating as well. The way the app works is that you enter in what you eat and it is assigned a color red yellow or green according to the calorie count. You have a budget how much you can have from red and yellow. They chart your weight loss progress for you . You also get access to a coach and get daily motivational tips.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:11 am
Thank you! What makes this so different from myfitnesspal or ww?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:13 am
I've been doing it since June. I have hit a couple plateaus, but they are all my fault. Smile

The short of it: calorie counting (food, activity)--with some nutritional suggestion/guidance. Goal setting is a big thing--not just weight.

Then, there's lots of psychology and thinking big picture.

I've found that I stick with it much better. I do have plateaus of my own doing. Motivation goes up and down, but the mindset behind it and that I bring with it keep me at it---which was something I struggled with on other programs. (If I fell of a bandwagon, it was a big fall--and I had to comply 100% or it didn't work or I just gave up.)

So, I've lost over 30 lbs (of 50-55) since June as of now.

My male coworker also started doing it a couple weeks after me. He's lost about 45 lbs (initial goal was 50, but now he's going for closer to 60-70).

The cost was similar or less than WW. It's been worth it for me (and for my coworker). The coach is what you make of it. The group chat as well. (I'm not so into it, but for those who are, it's there to use. I have used it a couple times when I've need a boost or wanted to "brag"..or if I'm bored and want to avoid eating.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:19 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I've been doing it since June. I have hit a couple plateaus, but they are all my fault. Smile

The short of it: calorie counting (food, activity)--with some nutritional suggestion/guidance. Goal setting is a big thing--not just weight.

Then, there's lots of psychology and thinking big picture.

I've found that I stick with it much better. I do have plateaus of my own doing. Motivation goes up and down, but the mindset behind it and that I bring with it keep me at it---which was something I struggled with on other programs. (If I fell of a bandwagon, it was a big fall--and I had to comply 100% or it didn't work or I just gave up.)

So, I've lost over 30 lbs (of 50-55) since June as of now.

My male coworker also started doing it a couple weeks after me. He's lost about 45 lbs (initial goal was 50, but now he's going for closer to 60-70).

The cost was similar or less than WW. It's been worth it for me (and for my coworker). The coach is what you make of it. The group chat as well. (I'm not so into it, but for those who are, it's there to use. I have used it a couple times when I've need a boost or wanted to "brag"..or if I'm bored and want to avoid eating.)

That’s amazing! Does it incorporate exercise as well?
I’m worried about signing up and wasting money.
My self control is b.a.d.

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:21 am
Can someone help me understand the difference between the 2 week free trial and the paid version? I did the trial last yr and decided not to pay for it to continue.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:14 am
I’m
So confused I tried it also and canceled bec only gave me tips not a food plan or anything like that did I miss something ?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:22 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I’m
So confused I tried it also and canceled bec only gave me tips not a food plan or anything like that did I miss something ?

That’s the idea. Giving you a food plan doesn’t allow or empower you to make your own choices. That’s what I love about it I can eat what I want, just have to be mindful of portions. If your the type who needs to be told what to eat this isn’t for you. I personally can’t deal with being told what to do at all lol

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:35 am
I've been on Noom for about two weeks now, and I prefer it to WW. One of the benefits is that I'm not living my life with a running tally of points in my head. This frees up space for other things, like living my life. I think that by now most people have a reasonable idea of what they should and shouldn't be eating, so I'm happy that the program focuses on the mindset aspect.

I plan to see the program through to the end. I'm learning a lot about my brain and how it operates, which is cool.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:38 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I've been on Noom for about two weeks now, and I prefer it to WW. One of the benefits is that I'm not living my life with a running tally of points in my head. This frees up space for other things, like living my life. I think that by now most people have a reasonable idea of what they should and shouldn't be eating, so I'm happy that the program focuses on the mindset aspect.

I plan to see the program through to the end. I'm learning a lot about my brain and how it operates, which is cool.

My issue with WW was the zero point foods. Didn’t work for me. I’d eat zero point foods all day then use all my points bingeing at night. Major fail. There’s no such think as zero points all day. I knew I was trying to cheat the system but I can’t eat 20 points on the couch before bed and expect to lose weight. I also try to combine Noom with modified IF (I don’t at after 7pm (dinner) till 9 am when I have breakfast. This works for me mainly because I tend to mindlessly eat when watching tv at night) but it also Accelerated the Weight loss

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Can you explain more about how it teaches you why you overeat or eat too many unhealthy foods? I didn’t really get how it was working in the free trial so that’s why I cancelled.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:45 am
You go through goal-setting exercises, you learn techniques like visualizing yourself at the end of the process, which I find very helpful, breathing exercises for stress relief, discussion of triggers and how to neutralize them, etc. There's also a little button at the top of the place where log your food where you can see a breakdown of the Green, Yellow and Red foods you've had for the day. This made me rethink some of the food choices I was making.

One of the significant differences is that Noom's staff is made up of health professionals in areas like social work, psychology, nutrition, etc. It just has a different "feel" to a program led by peers.

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
You go through goal-setting exercises, you learn techniques like visualizing yourself at the end of the process, which I find very helpful, breathing exercises for stress relief, discussion of triggers and how to neutralize them, etc. There's also a little button at the top of the place where log your food where you can see a breakdown of the Green, Yellow and Red foods you've had for the day. This made me rethink some of the food choices I was making.

One of the significant differences is that Noom's staff is made up of health professionals in areas like social work, psychology, nutrition, etc. It just has a different "feel" to a program led by peers.

Ty!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s amazing! Does it incorporate exercise as well?
I’m worried about signing up and wasting money.
My self control is b.a.d.

They do not give you a specific program, but you can add in exercise or link a fitness tracker to add steps. Then, it gives you 50% of the calories expended towards your food calorie budget for the day.

It will not forcefully/directly fix self control, but they offer techniques/tips to deal with common scenarios, ways to deal with the fall out to not let it derail everything, and I found if I focus on goal setting (focusing on what I want to do, not only on what I need to NOT do) it helps me ultimately avoid undesirable behaviors as well because I'm busy focusing on healthier behaviors. This will help change habits, including self control, indirectly.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anybody tried it?
Can you give me the gist of it in a nutshell?
Did you like it?

If you want something that will work for free, try this. It’s the only diet that was successful for me and got rid of hunger and cravings! I lost 60 lbs. Eat proteins and veggies, no bread, pasta, potato, rice, sugar.
After a couple days you will have no hunger and even forget to eat sometimes which is crazy for me.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:29 am
I didn’t like it.
Not nooms fault.
I actually gained several pounds while on it.
Basically - I go through times when I eat junk and times when I eat healthy. I’ve never been able to stop that yo yo.
Being on noom didn’t give me much motivation to eat healthy and once I got back in healthy mode I didn’t need it anymore so I left.
That’s just me. It’s not nooms fault.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:41 am
I didn't do it but I know someone who did it. She lost A LOT of weight. I think over 80 lbs in a year. I didn't recognize her.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:58 am
I hated it. It’s all artificial intelligence. You never have a person or coach. I prefer my fitness pal. Good luck!

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:06 am
I started after seeing it reviewed here. I lost 7 pounds in a week, which I did not think was possible. My favorite part is the daily weigh in, since I get to see the numbers going down which helps motivate me.

Edited for typo
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise