Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hanging pot/pan rack

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:32 am
Why don't I ever see this in frum houses I love the look is there something inconvenient about it?
I usually like the clean slick modern look but something about a nice display looks cool

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why don't I ever see this in frum houses I love the look is there something inconvenient about it?
I usually like the clean slick modern look but something about a nice display looks cool

I cant stand these! Way to make a neat kitchen look messy!
same reason I hate open shelving! Even a person who's kitchen is always spotless will have it looking messy with a hanging pots and pan rack. And if it's even the slightest bit messy, itll look disastrous

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have one because of the dearth of cabinet space, but I really don't recommend it for the following reasons:

a. Unless you polish your cookware nice and bright each time you use it, your dingy cookware is on display 24/7 for all to see.
b. Kitchens are grimy places. Clouds of steam and grease condense and fall on exposed surfaces, so even if you DO polish your cookware after every use, it will still acquire a greasy, sticky patina just from being there.
c. If you hang the rack above the stove, which is intuitively the place for it, you will have to reach across the hot stove to grab a pot if you need another pot while things are already cooking. The pots hanging above the stove can get hot enough to burn you.
d. There may be halachic issues with having pots of one denomination hanging above steaming pots of another denomination.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:23 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I have one because of the dearth of cabinet space, but I really don't recommend it for the following reasons:

a. Unless you polish your cookware nice and bright each time you use it, your dingy cookware is on display 24/7 for all to see.
b. Kitchens are grimy places. Clouds of steam and grease condense and fall on exposed surfaces, so even if you DO polish your cookware after every use, it will still acquire a greasy, sticky patina just from being there.
c. If you hang the rack above the stove, which is intuitively the place for it, you will have to reach across the hot stove to grab a pot if you need another pot while things are already cooking. The pots hanging above the stove can get hot enough to burn you.
d. There may be halachic issues with having pots of one denomination hanging above steaming pots of another denomination.

Here is my answer:)

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:26 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

same reason I hate open shelving!

Seriously. Whenever a fancy-pants "interior designer" touts the "wonderful spacious look of open-shelf kitchen cabinets" I assume that designer always eats out and uses his kitchen only to brew espresso and slice cake. Anyone who uses a kitchen to actually cook knows that the more covered up things are, the cleaner they remain. Besides, having a cabinet without doors is like walking around with your shirt unbuttoned. Nobody wants to see it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:27 am
I have 2 pot racks in my kitchen. They are so convenient!

Pot racks are relatively uncommon in frum homes (I'm a professional kitchen designer). The secret to a pot rack that looks good is simple: only store things on it that you use frequently.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:18 am
I had one when I was newly married and had a tiny kitchen. I loved it then, when my pots were still shiny and new.
As said above, it only makes sense to hang frequently used pots , as anything hanging for any stretch of time would accumulate grease from the kitchen atmosphere. But anything you use frequently may not stay so beautiful and shiny Wink
I just don't think it's super practical unless you're really good at keeping your pots polished.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen