Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/O milichig/fleishig towels-milichig/fleishig garbage cans
1  2  3  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:40 am
Ever heard of it? Specifically for Satmar. Is it actually a thing or their thing? I know these group of Satmars and they said they need to have separate garbage cans, one for milichig and one for fleishig. The only reason I can think of is because the kitchens are somewhat separated, so they don’t want the milichig stuff brought into the the fleishig area. Can that be it or is it really a thing?

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:53 am
Idk what that is but I do know someone (not chassidish at all) with a separate milchig fridge !
(Although maybe it also has to do with convenience as well as kashrus)

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:59 am
Hahahahahahahaha on the trash cans.
We do have separate dish towels, that's because even when you wash dishes sometimes a little grime stays and the towel takes it off.
(If it's fresh from the closet and you're out of one color you can take a different color. )

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:16 am
My mother has a small kitchen. She is careful to use separate towels, she uses separate shelves in the fridge for milchig and fleishigs, she only has one stove and keeps 2 burners for milchig and 2 for fleishig.
Garbage is garbage... she barely has room for one can

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:22 am
I have two separate dish soaps, different towels, different fridge shelves. I try to keep burners separate, but if I have to “borrow”, I masher by placing a blech over the burner in question and burn it for 30 minutes.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:27 am
I know someone in Stamford Hill who had two townhouses put together, with the connecting wall removed. One kitchen was for meat, and one for dairy. It was actually really cool! The kitchens were back to back.

A total dream luxury I will probably never have, but it was fun to see in real life. It would certainly solve the problem of accidentally putting the wrong spoon in the wrong pot of soup. TMI

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:32 am
I know people that use different color dish towels since they use them to pull things out of the oven, wipe their hands while dirty from cooking, kind of a like a catch all rag in the kitchen. The point is that they don't want the hot chicken drips to be pressed against the hot pan of ziti coming out of the oven.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:37 am
We have separate dish towels. It has nothing with Satmer, it's very common to have separate dish towels. Never heard of separate garbage cans. Maybe thay just have 2 regular garbage cans for the convenience of it and not for milk & meat and they happen to be a Satmer family. It's not a Satmer minhag/chumra to have separate garbage cans.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:47 am
Do you mean separate dish towels as in there are 2 available, one to use for milk and one for meat? Or two as in even when they're freshly laundered, each is used for only milk or meat, like a pot?

It would just seem weird to me to use the same towel to wipe a milk and a meat plate without laundering, or to wipe my hands when making grilled cheese, then chicken. But I don't assign milk or meat to my towels.

And I'm as MO as they come.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you mean separate dish towels as in there are 2 available, one to use for milk and one for meat? Or two as in even when they're freshly laundered, each is used for only milk or meat, like a pot?

It would just seem weird to me to use the same towel to wipe a milk and a meat plate without laundering, or to wipe my hands when making grilled cheese, then chicken. But I don't assign milk or meat to my towels.

With multiple people using the kitchen, they just assign different color dish towels to different denominations to make things easier. Similar to separate oven mitts.
No separate hand towels.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:58 am
SixOfWands wrote:

I have 1 oven & stove so it's easier to use 2 separate colors dish towels so I shouldn't get mixed up.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:59 am
ra_mom wrote:
With multiple people using the kitchen, they just assign different color dish towels to different denominations to make things easier. Similar to separate oven mitts.
No separate hand towels.

Same. My entire kitchen is so color coded, a 2 year old* could keep kosher in it! LOL

Having ADD, I don't trust myself to always grab the right thing, but if it's bright red or blue, it definitely makes things easier for me.

*When DD was 2, she woke up early one morning, and decided to make breakfast for me. I woke up to her saying "Mama, how do you turn on the stove?

Surprised That got me up quick.

She had pulled a chair over to the stove, and had the dairy pan, the dairy spatula, some cheese, and two eggs in the pan (shells and all! LOL ) She knows I always have a cheese omelet for breakfast, and she wanted to surprise me. I was definitely surprised.

B'H, the stove was a really old model, that had the knobs way in the back instead of the front. Otherwise I would probably have been woken up by the smoke alarm.

What 2 year old makes her mom breakfast in bed? My kiddo, that's who.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:28 am
Never heard of 2 trash cans. Unless it's a practical issue if your kitchen is that big and you have one for each side. Dish Towels of course I heard of and I have them too! Not Satmar though.

LovetoLive

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:32 am
I was wondering this recently. Is there a halacha against mixing meat and milk, even if you don't eat it?

If I put a piece of cheese in the garbage and then spill hot chicken grease over it, I just created a pure trief thing. yes its in the garbage and nobody is eating it, but am I allowed to create trief?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:37 am
We have 2 (sometimes 3) garbage cans in the kitchen.
I joke that they're milchig, fleishig, and parve. Or milchig, fleischer, and treif.
The truth is that it's more practical for me when I'm on cooking marathons to not have to change the bag as frequently.
Also, I can be working at the counter with one garbage near me, and someone else at the table peeling into the other garbage can.
Anonymous because those who know me, will recognize me.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:40 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Lol, same. I thought everyone had two towels Surprised
I do have mine color-coded for convenience.
And actually I have a michigs and fleishigs garbage too!
But it's really just the way we refer to them, we don't separate our garbage by 'gender' (though we do separate our garbage for recycling Thumbs Up). It's just that we have two cans, one under each sink. Again, for convenience.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:42 am
etky wrote:
Lol, same. I thought everyone had two towels Surprised
I do have mine color-coded for convenience.
And actually I have a michigs and fleishigs garbage too!
But it's really just the way we refer to them, we don't separate our garbage by 'gender' (though we do separate our garbage for recycling Thumbs Up). It's just that we have two cans, one under each sink. Again, for convenience.

I just want to confirm that you have 2 garbage cans because of convenience and not because you're satmer.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:43 am
Could it be that whomever you spoke to is concerned about mixing milk and meat together in the trash can and that's why they have two separate cans? E.g. child dumps out leftover cereal and milk over an old tray of chicken from Shabbos already in the trash.

From what I understand, being concerned about things like that is a misinterpretation of the halachos of meat and milk. IIRC, most poskim hold that if it's in the trash it's pagum, spoiled, and therefore it doesn't matter if meat and milk are accidentally combined in the trash because you're not deriving benefit, you won't eat it, and it's a disgusting thing. But I could be mistaken

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:57 am
This was a spin off of two towels from a few weeks ago. I wasn’t asking about towels, but garbage cans. If you read my op, I think I figured out why if that’s not a minhag.

cbsp

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:00 am
LovetoLive wrote:
I was wondering this recently. Is there a halacha against mixing meat and milk, even if you don't eat it?

If I put a piece of cheese in the garbage and then spill hot chicken grease over it, I just created a pure trief thing. yes its in the garbage and nobody is eating it, but am I allowed to create trief?

From here :
http://www.shulchanaruch.com/w.....1.pdf

(it's a pdf and not https so you may get a message that it's not a secure site)

YESHIVA PIRCHEI SHOSHANIM SHULCHAN ARUCH PROJECT
BASAR B'CHALAV SHIUR 1

יורה דעה סימן פ"ז סעיף א-ב

Question:
Can I throw milk and meat away in the same garbage can?
Answer:
It depends. If you are for example pouring hot meaty oil straight from a kli rishon onto
a pizza in the garbage then this is a problem since we are choshesh for the poskim that
hold irui (pouring) is called cooking. Otherwise there is no reason why meat and milk
cannot be thrown away in the same garbage pail.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen