Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
British living in America question - hating bread?!
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:57 pm
So funny. Guess it's what you're used to...I've been to London many times (and to Grodzinski - around the corner from my cousin's house) and didn't think it was better than what we have here.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:26 pm
Maybe Lakewood has better bakeries.

There are a couple of Grodzinskis and not sure if they are all the same. The ones in Stamford Hill are excellent, even if I can't quite forgive them for not making iced buns anymore. The one on Golders Green Road looks very unimpressive and they may be run by different people. But Golders Green has other really good bakeries like Carmellis and Parkway.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:18 pm
Living in Israel we have good bread - often better than England. But I miss English butter. I always bring some back with me when I visit, and it never lasts long enough.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:24 pm
It's so funny to read this thread.
Dh's family have all moved away from London to the US for at least 20 years, some of them more, and they are constantly bringing up grodzinski and how no other bakery comes close to it. Whenever we go visit we actually bring a bag of goodies from grodzinskis with us, thats what they ask for! Especially the doughnuts. So I thought it was only my in law family but I see they aren't actually crazy LOL

Newmom12

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:25 pm
This post made me smile. My mother has been living in the states way longer than she lived in England but still pines for their bread (grodzinkis donuts), and fruits/vegetables. Says nothing compares. I see what she’s saying it is better but not by that much.... I do think they have way better cheeses though

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
Maybe Lakewood has better bakeries.

There are a couple of Grodzinskis and not sure if they are all the same. The ones in Stamford Hill are excellent, even if I can't quite forgive them for not making iced buns anymore. The one on Golders Green Road looks very unimpressive and they may be run by different people. But Golders Green has other really good bakeries like Carmellis and Parkway.

Grodzinski in golders green close down after sukkos, but they did make iced buns. It did look unimpressive but the bread was the best in town imo. It actually was the only bread my kids would eat, took us a while to find a replacement. The edgware grodzinski is reopening there. According to DH stamfordhill one is the best, I'm not such a foodie. All 3 are run by different people. I heard there is also a grodzinski in Canada.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:35 pm
I love this thread. I'm originally from gg, but been in Israel for the last few years. There is nothing like grods!! And btw, the stamford hill grods bread is reallllly good!!
Whoever posted abt the smiley biscuits, YESSSS!!! I love them!!! They were the sbest rosh chodesh treat!!

Frumme

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:55 pm
Patis is pretty good (northern NJ).

I also find I like bread that happens to be pas yisroel more than bread from frum companies, if that makes sense. There's just more quality control and product testing.

There's a really good Italian bread in the bakery section of most ShopRites that is pas, and it's pretty good! (Paramount I think is the brand)

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 4:11 pm
Haha!
Im loving this thread too!!

After weeks and weeks of reading magazine recipes and american recipes listing foods you can only get in USA!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries