Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Tell me about your diy kiddush
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:09 pm
What dishes/plates did you use for serving?
What did your setup look like?
What did you put out?
Colors?
And pages to look at for ideas?

And off topic - would love recipes for blended fruit drinks to serve

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:15 pm
Rules 1, 2 and 3: this is a simcha, not a stress party. Keep it reasonable for the level of work you can put into it, so you can enjoy yourself and actually pull it off.

Rule 4: delegate. Your neighbor/friend/mom says "how can I help?" Show them the to-do list, and let them pick from there. You're life will get easier.

Rule 5: if you're the Baal simcha, then have a friend with a lot of older children transport the stuff to the location. Child labour is wonderful, and transport/set up/clean up will be stress free.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:41 pm
Mazel tov!!

I would suggest choosing material for tablecloth first
if solid color go with pretty patterned napkin

if you choose patterened go with solid napkin

I use basic clear plates cups and bowls

and YES delegate!!!
give three ppl salad jobs
give them the recipes
and pay for the ingredients if you want to

have someoen do munchies...
things peopel actually eat
not fanyc tastelessness!!

extra for some mandatory for me...
have someone pick up simple flowers
baby breath or the like

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:25 pm
Please don't expect your friends to do the entire job for you, especially their older kids.
Certainly if people offer, feel free to take up their offer to help out. But their children should not feel obligated to clean up after your simcha-- this is a huge job and is taking advantage. Unless you are paying them.
I would have been extremely resentful as a teen to give up my limited free time to clean up the aftermath of someone else's party.

EishesYo

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What dishes/plates did you use for serving?
What did your setup look like?
What did you put out?
Colors?
And pages to look at for ideas?

And off topic - would love recipes for blended fruit drinks to serve

what I would maybe want to eat...

salads- 3 choices
3 dif color drinks

munchies
flavored popcorn in small cups
peanut chews
chocolate covered pretzels
candies nuts
biscotti

Rappel

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Please don't expect your friends to do the entire job for you, especially their older kids.
Certainly if people offer, feel free to take up their offer to help out. But their children should not feel obligated to clean up after your simcha-- this is a huge job and is taking advantage. Unless you are paying them.
I would have been extremely resentful as a teen to give up my limited free time to clean up the aftermath of someone else's party.

Guess it depends on the friends. Smile

For my last Brit, someone with a big car and older children literally took the whole transport/set up issue off my hands, and it made a huge difference.

The kids weren't pressed into service. They were begging for tasks, and loved helping. Two carried things, one organized the tables, one took my toddler. Enough hands and an organized set-up plan allowed me to actually enjoy my simcha, and focus on the baby that needed me.

No one was forced into this

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:38 pm
EishesYo wrote:
what I would maybe want to eat...

salads- 3 choices
3 dif color drinks

munchies
flavored popcorn in small cups
peanut chews
chocolate covered pretzels
candies nuts
biscotti

It's a kiddush. One needs to be able to make a mezonot.

EishesYo

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:39 pm
Elfrida wrote:
It's a kiddush. One needs to be able to make a mezonot.

good point!!

so what mezonos would you serve aside from the biscotti?
cheese cakes?

choclate oozzing babaka???

mhmmmmm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 4:05 pm
Thank you for great ideas.
Please keep them coming
I know our extended family is happy to help. And I will have waiters to help with cleanup.

I called some party planets and the cost just for them was through the roof! And it didn’t include all the stuff they’d have to buy

So now I don’t feel guilty buying some props but not sure what to buy

Plan so far to make:
3 big salads
3 type cubed fruit
Tray veggie sushie
2 types biscotti
Rugelach
3 types cooked. (Choc chip, choc, snickerdoodle)
Fruit drinks - but need recipes

It’s in 4 weeks and want be prepared bec also cooking Shabbos for many many ppl.(and working and life...)

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for great ideas.
Please keep them coming
I know our extended family is happy to help. And I will have waiters to help with cleanup.

I called some party planets and the cost just for them was through the roof! And it didn’t include all the stuff they’d have to buy

So now I don’t feel guilty buying some props but not sure what to buy

Plan so far to make:
3 big salads
3 type cubed fruit
Tray veggie sushie
2 types biscotti
Rugelach
3 types cooked. (Choc chip, choc, snickerdoodle)
Fruit drinks - but need recipes

It’s in 4 weeks and want be prepared bec also cooking Shabbos for many many ppl.(and working and life...)

Depends how much you want to serve. Some other ideas.
Kugel
Cholent
Shnitzel/deli
Gefilte fish
Jerky platter

I have seen candy stations with bags for kids to take from.

Not sure what it's for but you can do monogrammed napkins....whats your color scheme?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Depends how much you want to serve. Some other ideas.
Kugel
Cholent
Shnitzel/deli
Gefilte fish
Jerky platter

I have seen candy stations with bags for kids to take from.

Not sure what it's for but you can do monogrammed napkins....whats your color scheme?

Don’t know. I think I have navy blue crinkle Taffeta tablecloths from my mother in law.

https://tableclothsfactory.com.....-sale

I also own silver crinkle Tage-Tratte runners but not sure if would use that.
But I’d be open to order other colors.

Was going to use lots of glass and mirrors. (Got glass things at $1 store). So maybe silver, white and blue. But I’m not really hung up on that.
There is a florist that will do orchids in a tall vase $7 each and I can keep from bo b’yom through Shabbos so I might just do that. .

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:57 pm
My daughter’s name is Sarah so we did a princess theme and had tiaras and wands and other fake jewelry on the tables. Color scheme hot pink all over with some light pink, white, silver. Little teddy bears with crowns on their heads.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Don’t know. I think I have navy blue crinkle Taffeta tablecloths from my mother in law.

https://tableclothsfactory.com.....-sale

I also own silver crinkle Tage-Tratte runners but not sure if would use that.
But I’d be open to order other colors.

Was going to use lots of glass and mirrors. (Got glass things at $1 store). So maybe silver, white and blue. But I’m not really hung up on that.
There is a florist that will do orchids in a tall vase $7 each and I can keep from bo b’yom through Shabbos so I might just do that. .

I have those tablecloths in silver and in purple actually. They look really nice!

They will look stunning with the mirrors. Hou can get silver napkins with his name on in it with white or blue lettering.
Silver silverware. White plates round or square.

sub

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:17 pm
Will friends, coworkers or family be sending you anything?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:35 pm
sub wrote:
Will friends, coworkers or family be sending you anything?

I think so

sub

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think so

Do you know who and what?
This was a big help for me.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:48 pm
If you’re in Lakewood, I am pretty sure there is a Gemach for serving pieces and props. Anyone know the name?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:41 pm
I am in Lakewood. But work full time. Have big family. And making party Thursday night so can’t run to gmach. I made simcha years ago were someone offered to go for me but this time don’t have anyone available. I feel like it would’ve easier to spend $100 and just have a few things. But not sure I’m right.

Shuly

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:00 am
Clear, glass and mirrors is the easiest because they match any color tablecloths and napkins.
Get clear plastic silverware and cups too.

The tables looks really nice with some height. If you have tall glass vases that can be filled with cookies or a cake stand on a leg, use them.

You can put 2 square glasses upside down and balance a rectangular mirror across them and put miniatures or mousse cups on that.

Put salads in clear plastic bowls with clear serving spoons. Square or rectangle bowls look very classy.

Put a box upside down under one of the tablecloths, in the back center and put either a vase of flowers or a fancy cake on it as the centerpiece. Then add some tall items on either side of it and some height, but not as tall, in front of it.
Use mirrors or flat serving trays in the front of the table and distributed around the taller items.

I like to do a small table or the end of one table for the drinks and cups. Stack the cups in 3 stacks of different heights.
Salads also go together one one side with small plates and forks.
If you're serving hot food, group them together too along with plates, forks and knives.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:09 am
Thank you for your ideas
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics