Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 year old headaches

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:51 pm
This is the third headache within a few months. DS 6 complains of pain in the back of the head that lasts all day. Tylenol does help. In between, there aren't any other symptoms, though he did get a low grade fever the day before which seems to be part of a virus.
I'm starting to get really nervous. Any idea what this could be or what I should do?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:52 pm
Your first step would be to visit the pediatrician if you didn't already.
Refuah sheleimah

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:54 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Your first step would be to visit the pediatrician if you didn't already.
Refuah sheleimah

I went a few months ago after the second headache and they said it was probably a virus. This is about two months later-now-with another headache a day after a low grade fever (subsided).
Will go back again and ask for some testing. Wondering if I'm overreacting or...

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:00 pm
If it’s cyclical and there’s fever it’s probably pathogenic, I would guess strep or Lyme.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:02 pm
Did you ever check for Covid?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Did you ever check for Covid?

Positive antibodies negative COVID a several months ago .

Isn't 6 young for strep? I'll ask... there aren't any other symptoms though-re strep or Lyme. It goes away with Tylenol and then could not come back for more than a month, but then there it goes again. In the back of the head. I'm getting really nervous. I'm going to take to pediatrician, but trying to get some experiences here-if anyone else has seen something similar.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Positive antibodies negative COVID a several months ago .

Isn't 6 young for strep? I'll ask... there aren't any other symptoms though-re strep or Lyme. It goes away with Tylenol and then could not come back for more than a month, but then there it goes again. In the back of the head. I'm getting really nervous. I'm going to take to pediatrician, but trying to get some experiences here-if anyone else has seen something similar.
No 6 isn’t young for strep, I’m surprised they don’t swab with a fever and headache, lots a kids don’t present with typical symptoms anymore.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:30 pm
My 8 yo has been complaining about headaches for few years on and off. Been to the dr a few times he always dismissed it. First he said to check his vision maybe it’s that? Could be dehydration from the steam. For my son we’re assuming it’s more sinus related since he always had a stuffy nose.... was supposed to check it out but then COVID happened and we got cancelled...

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:35 pm
If it’s cyclical another possibility is FMF (familial Mediterranean fever) or another genetic disorder that can cause fever and/or headaches on a regular, ongoing basis. It can be detected by a blood test, a pediatric rheumatologist can be a good start. But def first see what your pediatrician says

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:05 am
Did you do an eye test? My father had a time that he got lots of headaches as a child and then he needed to get glasses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics