Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:11 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
“Kofros” is believing a Minhag was written in the Torah ...
If something like a mitzvah deRabannan has to be publicized that this is a mitzva deRabanan even though they is no difference in observing them how much more so a minhag ?
But to say a mitzvah that is deDrabbanan is written in the Torah is “kofros”

And I think that anyone touting minhag as Torah should be thrown off the site because that is not only kofros but makes others koifrim
חוטא ומחטא את הרבים

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:11 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
“Kofros” is believing a Minhag was written in the Torah ...
If something like a mitzvah deRabannan has to be publicized that this is a mitzva deRabanan even though they is no difference in observing them how much more so a minhag ?
But to say a mitzvah that is deDrabbanan is written in the Torah is “kofros”

I'm not saying this is written in the Torah. It's probably from the Zohar Hakudesh. I'm saying you poking fun or calling it shtissim is disgusting and is kofrus. It is a legimate thing and not crazy like you suggested.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:13 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
And I think that anyone touting minhag as Torah should be thrown off the site because that is not only kofros but makes others koifrim
חוטא ומחטא את הרבים

I never say this minhag is in the Torah. Where did I say that??? I said our men don't sleep with socks and also don't cover their feet with a blanket.

You are making choizek of a legitimate minhag which is bringing people to aveiros not me. What is your issue?

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:17 am
nchr wrote:
I'm not saying this is written in the Torah. It's probably from the Zohar Hakudesh. I'm saying you poking fun or calling it shtissim is disgusting and is kofrus. It is a legimate thing and not crazy like you suggested.

I ca assure you 100% that is not in the Zohar ...my father in law who I just contacted a Holocaust survivor said it’s not a Zohar, and never heard of it and he lived in Banye a city near Satmar ...

Java

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:18 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
חוטא ומחטא את הרבים

And I think that anyone who tells other people that their minhagim are crazy and stupid is [Edited]

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:21 am
nchr wrote:
I never say this minhag is in the Torah. Where did I say that??? I said our men don't sleep with socks and also don't cover their feet with a blanket.

You are making choizek of a legitimate minhag which is bringing people to aveiros not me. What is your issue?

“Legitimate?” Please give us a source ....
I’m waiting
Though I must admit that a minhag needs no source but if you want people to stop laughing (which the Mishna Berura says you shouldn’t do things that will make people laugh) them there better be a good reason ...

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:22 am
“Legitimate?” Please give us a source ....
I’m waiting
Though I must admit that a minhag needs no source but if you want people to stop laughing (which the Mishna Berura says you shouldn’t do things that will make people laugh) them there better be a good reason ...[/quote]
If you give me a source I will be the first to apologize

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:24 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
I ca assure you 100% that is not in the Zohar ...my father in law who I just contacted a Holocaust survivor said it’s not a Zohar, and never heard of it and he lived in Banye a city near Satmar ...

Your shver is a chushive Yid but not daas Torah. I just called a halacha hotline and was told it isn't mammish from the Zohar but that yes many people are makpid on this and it is in shelu. Now can you just stop it?

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:26 am
nchr wrote:

If you are calling this a “legitimate minhag” which it isn’t of course since my generation and my parents generation never heard of ... then you are the one causing people to make choizilk of our Torah
I suggest you get familiar with what’s behind minhaggim are all about ...
that’s why we have discussions in the Gemmarah it’s all about finding out the source

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:33 am
Blidar since I just spoke to a Dayan who confirmed many people are makpid on this will you now go erase your unnecessary, uncalled for, rude comments?

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:35 am
nchr wrote:
Your shver is a chushive Yid but not daas Torah. I just called a halacha hotline and was told it isn't mammish from the Zohar but that yes many people are makpid on this and it is in shelu. Now can you just stop it?

Daas Torah? Whose Daas Torah ? A Satmar will not listen to a Chabad Daas Torah... Lakewood Daas Torah is not Satmar Daas Torah so I have no clue what you are talking about when you say “Daas Torah”
Having said that their is no Zohar ... thank you very much... and the Shlue Hakodosh quotes the Kohein Gadol who wasn’t allowed to sleep on the night of Y”K so he was kept up by planting his bare feet on the cold floor

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:38 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
Daas Torah? Whose Daas Torah ? A Satmar will not listen to a Chabad Daas Torah... Lakewood Daas Torah is not Satmar Daas Torah so I have no clue what you are talking about when you say “Daas Torah”
Having said that their is no Zohar ... thank you very much... and the Shlue Hakodosh quotes the Kohein Gadol who wasn’t allowed to sleep on the night of Y”K so he was kept up by planting his bare feet on the cold floor

So you're telling me when a Chassidishe Dayan who is daas torah tells me not everyone but many are makpid to sleep without socks and with the feet not covered by the covers every single night that isn't good enough for you because my daas torah isn't yours? It is clearly a legitimate thing can you just accept that? I'm not speaking negatively of your minhagim and chumros. Leave mine alone!

Blidar,,,

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:44 am
nchr wrote:
Blidar since I just spoke to a Dayan who confirmed many people are makpid on this will you now go erase your unnecessary, uncalled for, rude comments?

This is getting ridiculous ... people say that they have a minhag that their husbands sleep without socks ... and where does it go? They quote a Zohar then they retract because there is no such Zohar ... then they say it’s Daas Torah -whose Daas Torah exactly?
Then they quote a Shlah Hakodesh that talks about the Kohein Gadol on Y”K night that will actually not be sleeping and what is astonishing is that same Shleh does not say it’s. Minhag ? He says it’s an עיצה טובה
So it’s actually not even a minhag from their source the Shleh ...
And this exactly my point ... this minhag if publicized will be made fun of and People vulnerable to OTD will have another excuse to mock our traditions
And I’m told that I am the Kofer and should be thrown off ... crazy
עולם הפוך ראיתי

Last edited by Blidar,,, on Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:46 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
This is getting ridiculous ... people say that they have a minhag that their husbands sleep without socks ... and where does it go? They quote a Zohar then they retract because there is no such Zohar ... then they say it’s Daas Torah -whose Daas Torah exactly?
And this exactly my point ... this minhag if publicized will be made fun of and People vulnerable to OTD will have another excuse to mock our traditions
And I’m told that I am the Kofer and should be thrown off ... crazy
עולם הפוך ראיתי

I called a halacha hotline.
Why don't you call one also?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:46 am
Blidar, why the need to be so rude? We ladies may not always agree with one another, but the way you are writing is beyond terrible. Enough is enough.
This may not be how you hold or how I hold, but some people do. There is a way to argue and you are not doing it very nicely at all. Enough!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:26 am
Blidar,,, wrote:
I am chassidish and grew up in Williamsburg and no one ever heard of it ... my children all married into various different Chassidishe families and no one heard of this
I deal with OTD children I found that most of them found crazy minhagim ... crazy ... and what’s interesting that all they questioned was the minhagim... the bizarre and crazy ones and that’s what turned them off ... it wasn’t any of the taryag mitzvous...and yes once they questioned the minhagim that made absolutely no sense they started questioning the Torah as well.. the organization I work for that deals with OTD have had tremendous success with the youth once we told them that these minhagim if not printed in the Shulchan Aruch are not Torah ...and most were shocked to learn that wearing “vasseh zokin”or a “rashvulka” is a minhag.. I am not kidding
. we should investigate where these minhagim originated from and once these sources are found to be defective and crazy .... we should “yes” thrash them ....absolutely ... or to tell our children “shefele this is a minhag it’s not Torah it’s a minhag it would be nice if you follow it”
we are living in a new generation who can find out very fast if these are hallachos or minhagim and if we want to save our youth that are leaving by the thousands then we should start thrashing crazy bizarre minhagim
I read here about woman whose spouses are going off the derech ... and guess what ? It all starts with questioning minhagim ... we have a Torah we have an entire Shas Bavli and Yerushalmi ... and an entire Shulchan Aruch ... we don’t need to add to any of the chumrous already mentioned there ....and if your husband decides not to wear socks in a freezing apt tell him that I said that he shouldn’t pass that “minhag” to his boys

Thank you for posting this.
though I think there's also the side of Minhag Yisroel Din Hu.....
I recently worked with a woman who told me her sisters basically disowned her; they heard her 10 year old daughter is wearing socks (not tights) and they didn't allow the ten year old into their home when their husband was home.
obviously the socks weren't the only issue here. in general, the woman is frum; she is keeping Shabbos, she wears skirts and and covers her hair fully.
She is a daughter of Hashem!
because of Minhagim and culture she is cut off from her sisters and family...
very sad and painful story.
on the other hand, I think every mother has different minhagim/culture/ideals we value- and we yearn for our children and descendants to follow them. I know I do. so I understand where the pain is originating from.

Jenmom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:05 pm
DrMom wrote:
What does this even mean?

I usually kick mine off while unconscious.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions