Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Your own expenses

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:17 am
If you work for someone, what out of your own pocket expenses, if any, do you have towards your job? Traveling and babysitting doesn’t count.

I work from home, so anything I need, it’s out of my own pocket. I probably could ask to be reimbursed, but it’s not worth it.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:20 am
Expenses like what?
Lunch /printing paper??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:12 am
Maryann wrote:
Expenses like what?
Lunch /printing paper??

Expenses that are specifically for work. Lunch is not. For example, a teacher might have to make purchases to give her students, does she get reimbursed for them. A bag she might hold her papers in, doesn’t count.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:14 am
So when I worked at home during covid, I took papers and envelopes from my office but I didn't ask them to buy me toner for my printer.that I paid for myself

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:20 am
Disclaimer voice to text

When I first started working and we didn't necessarily need another barcode scanner I bought one out of my own expense but I ended up taking that one back home for covid and not returning it since I purchased it and I could use it at home

I also have bought out of my own expense a keyboard holder but when I needed to replace it I asked them to replace it .... That's also because it would have been paid for by them initially but I just never bothered I guess

If it's something that I need for the job I will ask them to either buy it or reimburse me but if it's something that would just be nice I'll get that myself

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:17 am
I think it's fair to request compensation for anything that would legitimately be provided for at an office (unless the stipulation for working at home is that you already own those items). So maybe the actual computer wouldn't be purchased by the boss but if you were required to use a specific program then they'd need to provide that.

Check with your accountant as to what could be deducted when you file taxes if you do not get reimbursed by your employer.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:19 am
If you have specific internet service for work, that would be another thing.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:49 am
I have a computer and monitor and docking station from office.
The keyboard and mouse I replace on my own as needed.
Internet and phone I pay for. Most calls are over internet these days.
For some they used to compensate for internet and/or phone but now saueveryone these days has internet and cell anyways so they don’t need to cover it.
Not so much ink or printer usage for work as I don’t mail anything and everything is digital.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:51 pm
I am a speech therapist in a school. My employer does not pay any expenses. Here is a list of my expenses:
1. All therapy materials-games, workbooks, website subscriptions etc
2. All supplies- markers, crayons, glue sticks, craft supplies, notebooks etc
3. All prizes
4. Fees to maintain my state license and certification
5. Liability insurance
6. Continuing education courses (to be fair my employer does offer some free courses and I do take advantage of it so I dont end up paying for so many courses)
7. Due to covid, I needed a new laptop and better internet service for teletherapy

I sometimes wonder if it even worth working at this job because it involved so many expenses....and I am still paying back student loans

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:53 pm
I forgot to add one more expense- printing worksheets and making hundreds of copies a month

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am a speech therapist in a school. My employer does not pay any expenses. Here is a list of my expenses:
1. All therapy materials-games, workbooks, website subscriptions etc
2. All supplies- markers, crayons, glue sticks, craft supplies, notebooks etc
3. All prizes
4. Fees to maintain my state license and certification
5. Liability insurance
6. Continuing education courses (to be fair my employer does offer some free courses and I do take advantage of it so I dont end up paying for so many courses)
7. Due to covid, I needed a new laptop and better internet service for teletherapy

I sometimes wonder if it even worth working at this job because it involved so many expenses....and I am still paying back student loans

Do you get a 1099 (ie, are you an independent contracter) or are out an actual employee of the school. I think that would change what the norms for reimbursement are (as well as what may be considered allowable for a tax deduction).

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:19 pm
cbsp wrote:
Do you get a 1099 (ie, are you an independent contracter) or are out an actual employee of the school. I think that would change what the norms for reimbursement are (as well as what may be considered allowable for a tax deduction).

I do not get a 1099, I am a W2 employee. Also I am not an employee of the school but of an agency who contracts with the Department of Education and places therapists in school

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:45 pm
I am a therapist who also does some admin work...
So when I worked in the office (pre Covid) I asked them to get the printer, if my computer mouse need to be fixed, printer paper, work supplies like pens, paper, sharpies etc.
A personal fan I paid for but left in the office and a desk organizer I brought from home I labeled with my name and if I work from home much longer I might go in and grab them so I can use it at home. I left to work from home in a rushed manner (I was at work and they decided I could work from home "for a few weeks until this ends". Um 9 months later here I am...).
now that I work from home "temporarily", I bought headphones with a microphone so I can speak on the phone for work. These I will keep and I won't ask for reimbursement. They aren't fancy but I don't want anyone else using it. I had an extra mouse and am using it for work but again, it will stay here and I won't bring to the office.
I took a computer from work home and if it broke I will bring it back and ask them for a new one. I don't use it for anything personal and we have confidential files I can't have on the family computer.

Of course I pay for my own licensing fees, CEUs and anything needed to maintain my license. Including malpractice insurance. I would never assume work would cover it unless it was their policy or a benefit offered. Which of course it isn't.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 3:17 pm
I am a virtual school teacher and other than my hours everything is on me. I purchase notebooks, pens, markers, pencils, etc. Printer and paper 100% on me.

I also teach at a hebrew school and for some of the more complicated crafts I need to purchase materials, I get paid back for that - but only because I assured that before I began my job.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 3:52 pm
I'm surprised how many people don't get reimbursed.

If I'm buying something for work, work is paying. I wouldn't ask for money for things I'm buying for myself anyway (computer, internet, printer). But books, software, copies, earphones... Anything I buy for work purposes, I ask to be reimbursed for. Most decent workplaces are expecting it and have a system in place.

(the exceptions being NGOs, schools and all those other third sector jobs that are super important and perpetually under-funded)

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:35 pm
I am a remote teacher and dont get reimbursed for anything. the school gave me the laptop, but I pay for my own internet service. I also had to buy myself(with my $) a small chromebook in order to do my job properly. if I choose to buy supplies or paper to print etc, its all on me. when I was in the school building, I still had to buy paper for copies and had to buy most supplies/rewards for students. they dont really care that you are spending your own money, but we spend our $ to make it easier for us to teach and to provide a better learning experience for the students.

I do know some yeshivas that reimburse teachers for many supplies/rewards etc no matter how expensive..., but as a high tuition paying parent, I think the school should oversee what teachers are spending on so as to ensure its best deal and its necessary.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:12 am
This just reminded me of the olden days.
In my first jobs back in the late 1980s and 1990s I had internet - dial up service and later DSL - but the only reason for it was to run my work computer from home.
They reimbursed me for my monthly charges.
Now, ha, work is merely a small percentage of internet usage in my house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics