Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Have you ever been to costa rica?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 7:25 pm
Dh and I are planning trip to CR. Anyone been who might have advice regarding renting a car, kosher food (bringing into CR), travelers insurance, or must see things? Anonymous bc Ive asked several ppl about this.

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 7:42 pm
We were there, but it would depend which area you are looking at.

shanamaidel

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:54 pm
Papagayo area if that helps

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:59 pm
Never heard of that, so I can't help you. Have you tried googling?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:05 pm
Will certainly try. Any advice or tips from your trip? What area were you in?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:14 pm
Yes and it was amazing!!! My husband and I travel a lot and my CR trip was by far one of my favorites!
One of the best parts about the whole thing for me was that we stayed on a cattle ranch that also had a hotel type thing in the back, and we started every single day with horseback riding (free). We did rappelling, atv-ing, zip-lining, white water rafting, hiking in the rain forest, doca (coffee plantation), hiked at the volcano, and then we spent shabbos in san juan (stunning shul btw!! you just need to send them your passports ahead of time and let them know you are coming) at the aish rabbi's house. We brought an entire suitcase of food, which did not go bad at all-- even with a long flight from the east coast, stopover in miami, and then the travel to where we were staying. Brought a George Forman and sandwich maker with us and had hot dogs/hamburgers/salami for dinner, pb&j or tuna sandwiches for lunch, and pancakes or oatmeal for breakfast. It's a great trip for someone not expecting a five star vacation and to be pampered, sleep late, and eat out. We didn't go to any of the beaches but there are also some stunning beaches there.
Have a great time!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:15 pm
I'm the amother above-- would NOT recommend you rent a car. We rented a private driver because we stayed in 3 different locations. The roads there are notorious for being next to impossible, and it's true! Lots of crazy hills with no barriers and some of the roads are terribly unpaved. The cost of a private driver was not much more than renting a car and def worth it for your peace of mind. All attractions that we did offered to pick us up at our location as well.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:40 pm
Good to know you broight meat and they sodnt confiscate it in the airport. Also a private drivee sounds like a much better alternative. How did you find that? Also, did you have to hire him/her by the day? What if you wanted to go from place to place or use them for the duration of your stay how was the payment structure?

Maya

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:51 pm
Just in case this may be of any help to you, I'll relate as much as I can remember. We stayed in the Quepos area, and rented a private villa on top of a mountain, which was a gated community. Our landlords also had a villa on the mountain and were very helpful in planning our trips.

We did not bring much food. Mostly snacks and non-perishables. Our first stop from the airport was to a kosher butcher/bakery, where we bought chicken, bread and pastries for a few days. We also stopped at a supermarket for fresh fruits and vegetables, potatoes, eggs, etc. The downside to this was that we had to start cooking or grilling after a long day of outings, and that's something we would probably avoid next time we go. We'd likely try to bring boxed or frozen meals for some of the days.

Most tourist attractions in our area offered free pickup/dropoff, so we used that, plus taxi drivers recommended by our landlords, to get around.

Sara_Beile

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:51 pm
Hi, me and my husband worked for wish there for 5 years, I can help you with all the info! maybe I was the " wish rabbi" who host? we has so many guests BH!
Let me know how can I help, we left one year ago but still have info about there...its an amazing place....very nice people!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:45 am
Yes, dh and I went on vaca there and loved it!! We brought in food no prob and foreman grill etc. we also stayed in 3 locations and we did rent a car. It was an experience but such a blast!! We also did horseback riding, beaches, the volcanos etc., we also travel a lot and this was one of our favorites cuz not too far and it has tropical rainforest, gorg beaches and mountains/ volcanos. N the ppl there are awesome!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Yes, dh and I went on vaca there and loved it!! We brought in food no prob and foreman grill etc. we also stayed in 3 locations and we did rent a car. It was an experience but such a blast!! We also did horseback riding, beaches, the volcanos etc., we also travel a lot and this was one of our favorites cuz not too far and it has tropical rainforest, gorg beaches and mountains/ volcanos. N the ppl there are awesome!

Where did you stay, which town and lodgings?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics