Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
When are annual cpse evaluations?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:43 am
My dc was recently evaluated an placed in a special ed center. From my understanding evaluations should be done annually to determine the child’s placement and needs the following year.

When should these evaluations be done?

Who initiates the annual evaluations, is it automatic, or does the parent need to initiate the request?

It is so hard not knowing what schools to apply to or not apply to. Or even what types of schools.

TIA

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:25 am
The annual evaluations are done automatically. (I don't know when they are done.)
I would suggest speaking to the director and/or teacher to find out where your child is holding as far as where to apply for the coming year.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
The annual evaluations are done automatically. (I don't know when they are done.)
I would suggest speaking to the director and/or teacher to find out where your child is holding as far as where to apply for the coming year.

They are done around the same time of year every year. I think it usually depends on what month the child first got the services.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:54 am
U don't need to do anything. Cpse will send you letter with the appt date. Annual is counted yearly from when u got serv initially.

sbs

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:52 pm
the Doe doesn't evaluate annualy, they evaluate once in 3 years

however, they do hold a meeting to discuss the child and write a new IEP for the next year. they used to do a classroom observation before that meeting but now with covid they haven't been doing that. they just hold the meeting and get the info how the child is doing from parent and school.
you can look at your child's current IEP and it should say the date for when it will be reviewed again, usually that's the last date it must be done by and it's a year from when the last meeting was held.
generally, someone from the doe will contact you to arrange that meeting.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:04 pm
sbs wrote:
the Doe doesn't evaluate annualy, they evaluate once in 3 years

however, they do hold a meeting to discuss the child and write a new IEP for the next year. they used to do a classroom observation before that meeting but now with covid they haven't been doing that. they just hold the meeting and get the info how the child is doing from parent and school.
you can look at your child's current IEP and it should say the date for when it will be reviewed again, usually that's the last date it must be done by and it's a year from when the last meeting was held.
generally, someone from the doe will contact you to arrange that meeting.

My child is in a special ed preschool, and I was told by the director that they have done evaluations recently, even though the initial evaluation was only done two years ago so I assumed they did it every year. (Maybe they did it again because the preschool program is only a two-year program, and next year we will be moving up to Pre-1-A.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
U don't need to do anything. Cpse will send you letter with the appt date. Annual is counted yearly from when u got serv initially.
we started in winter and the IEP meeting states the next meeting in winter 2021.But from my understanding you can request an IEP meeting anytime, so I suppose I’ll request one for the end of the school year.

Tzippy323

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:57 pm
When your child is receiving sped ed services in a special ed program for pre school, the child must be re-evaluated prior to aging out.
First evaluation is to determine the need for service, and provide placement should it be necessary. If the child is younger than 3 years old, placement is usually EI or early intervention. Prior to turning 3 the child must be re-evaluated.

Once the child is 3, he/she needs to be in a center based program. This program requires updated reports each year, with a full evaluation only being necessary if the program feels the child no longer requires service.

When the child is turning five, there is a transition to cse. At that point a new, full evaluation needs to be done to determine the need for continued service. There are many options such as being placed in a fully self contained program with related services, being placed in a general ed program with maximal support such as 10 periods a week of academic intervention, a crisis management para, and related services, academic support 5 times or 3 times a week with related services, or only related services.

The way in which your child will receive his/her new services in cse depends on the evaluation results, the reports from teachers and therapists, and an observation. Many times, an annual review is no more than submission of progress reports and new goals from providers. Naturally, you are allowed to disagree with the findings of the doe, and fight them on their recommended placement, and will probably need the assistance of a good advocate to help you.

Hatzlocha!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:05 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
When your child is receiving sped ed services in a special ed program for pre school, the child must be re-evaluated prior to aging out.
First evaluation is to determine the need for service, and provide placement should it be necessary. If the child is younger than 3 years old, placement is usually EI or early intervention. Prior to turning 3 the child must be re-evaluated.

Once the child is 3, he/she needs to be in a center based program. This program requires updated reports each year, with a full evaluation only being necessary if the program feels the child no longer requires service.

When the child is turning five, there is a transition to cse. At that point a new, full evaluation needs to be done to determine the need for continued service. There are many options such as being placed in a fully self contained program with related services, being placed in a general ed program with maximal support such as 10 periods a week of academic intervention, a crisis management para, and related services, academic support 5 times or 3 times a week with related services, or only related services.

The way in which your child will receive his/her new services in cse depends on the evaluation results, the reports from teachers and therapists, and an observation. Many times, an annual review is no more than submission of progress reports and new goals from providers. Naturally, you are allowed to disagree with the findings of the doe, and fight them on their recommended placement, and will probably need the assistance of a good advocate to help you.

Hatzlocha!

Thanks for this explanation!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics