Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O where do you sit at table
Previous  1  2

Where do you and DH sit at Shabbos table?
Chassidish - Sit on the side next to DH  
 33%  [ 53 ]
Chassidish - Sit opppsite end of table near lecht  
 5%  [ 9 ]
Chassidish - Sit at head of table next to DH  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Not chassidish - Sit on side next to DH  
 47%  [ 74 ]
Not chassidish - Sit opppsite end of table near lecht  
 9%  [ 15 ]
Not Chassidish - Sit at head of table next to DH  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:22 am
I once ate a shabbos meal by a family who had 19 children. The parents sat at the heads of the long table. Kids and guests all around.
It was definitely a memorable site to see and remember especially when the parents were talking to each other across the table (about someone who was making a kiddush in shul..). They had to speak over many voices in the large room but didn’t seem disturbed by how they had to communicate at all.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:37 pm
I voted sit on the side next to DH because we both sit on the side next to each other, when we have guests we seat them across from us. My ILs sit across from each other at the two heads of the table. Growing up, my parents would also sit that way accept for even my grandparents came over (which was often), then my grandfather would sit at the head and my mother would sit next to my father. Since my grandmother passed away, my grandfather has been at my parents’ Shabbat table every week. My father sits at one head and my grandfather at the other end, my mother now sits at the head with my father, they sit one next to the other.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:01 pm
My husband sits in the center of the long side of the table and I sit across him. We each have 2 kids on either side, and the little ones for the few minutes they sit are at the head.
I love it that way! Very inclusive, no neck straining, and everyone can reach everything.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:23 pm
I sit at the head of the table next to my DH. It doesn't change when we have company.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:35 pm
We sit across from each other, neither of us at the head. We do this so we can each have 2 kids sitting next to each of us. It works well.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
S/O where do you sit at table? Will this change based on having guests or family size? Do your parents do the same?

My husband sits at the head. That's what we have seen by our parents. Also, I live in a very mixed community and seen many different homes. I don't remember ever being in a home that didn't have the head of the household sit at the head of the table.
On Pesach my father in law sits in the middle, to be more accessible.
I usually sit on his side (the side closer to the kitchen). Sometimes if we have two couples, or if the seating is awkward, I'll move over to another seat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics