Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Who watched Peter Santenello’s final recap? Thoughts?
1  2  Next

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:24 pm
Title says it all. Let’s focus on something more holistic from the series 😉

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:10 pm
Can you provide a link please?

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:27 pm
https://youtu.be/CmcyN3sS4kY

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:33 pm
It actually made me teary-eyed to see that someone can recognize the good and take a nuanced look instead of the black and white that always gets portrayed by the media.

Even on Imamother, I sometimes feel really looked down upon here as a chassidish person (there is some outright hatred here, just yesterday there was a despicable comment about chassidish bathrooms that went unchecked.)

And to see someone appreciate the warmth while acknowledging that obviously no community is perfect... just warmed my heart. Thank you, Peter.

We can all learn from him and learn to be more nuanced and less judgmental of our fellow Jews who are just trying to live their lives and serve Hashem to the best of their abilities.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:37 pm
He's an awesome guy with a refreshing way of relating to people and he has done our community a great service. I hope to see more great content.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:59 pm
I think there is something very special about the timing of this series. I had a friend who used to like to describe Klal Yisrael as a giant organism with a lot of appendages. If one appendage is in pain doesn’t the rest of the organism feel it? We’re at a time when we need each other and we need to respect each other. And here comes along Peter Santenello with his humble nature and respectful curiosity about other human beings to teach us that.

Last edited by mochamix18 on Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It actually made me teary-eyed to see that someone can recognize the good and take a nuanced look instead of the black and white that always gets portrayed by the media.

Even on Imamother, I sometimes feel really looked down upon here as a chassidish person (there is some outright hatred here, just yesterday there was a despicable comment about chassidish bathrooms that went unchecked.)

And to see someone appreciate the warmth while acknowledging that obviously no community is perfect... just warmed my heart. Thank you, Peter.

We can all learn from him and learn to be more nuanced and less judgmental of our fellow Jews who are just trying to live their lives and serve Hashem to the best of their abilities.

🤗 I feel sad that you’ve been made to feel that way. Can I tell you a secret? I’ve read things on Imamother that hurt me as BT. Someone recently wrote about how we’re all familiar with BTs and how they say things “like Barook” and have akward ways and in my head I was thinking “excuuuseme???? If I didn’t tell you I was a BT you wouldn’t know it. I grew up in my parents conservative kosher home having my mom drive me to Bnos on shabbos but park behind a bush because you’re not supposed to drive on shabbos while learning to lain from the Torah for my conservative bat mitzvah....gasp” and there are other things I could add but that run on sentence was just to make a point. Anyway this isn’t about me or BTs, it’s about your community but also about being more loving to our fellow Jews in general.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 11:42 am
mochamix18 wrote:
🤗 I feel sad that you’ve been made to feel that way. Can I tell you a secret? I’ve read things on Imamother that hurt me as BT. Someone recently wrote about how we’re all familiar with BTs and how they say things “like Barook” and have akward ways and in my head I was thinking “excuuuseme???? If I didn’t tell you I was a BT you wouldn’t know it. I grew up in my parents conservative kosher home having my mom drive me to Bnos on shabbos but park behind a bush because you’re not supposed to drive on shabbos while learning to lain from the Torah for my conservative bat mitzvah....gasp” and there are other things I could add but that run on sentence was just to make a point. Anyway this isn’t about me or BTs, it’s about your community but also about being more loving to our fellow Jews in general.

True, you're 100% right.

I sometimes see horrible comments against BT's or geirim and it makes me so upset. I think BT's and geirim are so incredible for all that they gave up and they deserve our respect and at the very least some basic human decency.

In my day to day life, I don't feel it so much since I'm surrounded by many chassiddish people and some non-chassidish people who are warm and accepting and don't look down at our different minhagim the same way I don't look down at them. We're just different, not better.

It was on Imamother that I was exposed to so many Jewish women who apparently feel that I and my community are less worthy, and more awful adjectives I won't put here. It has definitely made me be more sensitive to other communities that get bashed as well.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:12 pm
I find imamother in general to be full of judgemental women who put others into black and white little boxes. Unfortunately.

I find non Jewish, secular Jewish, and modern orthodox people to be the most open minded and accepting. I think frum women should learn a thing or two of Peter.

Just found a video of an Israeli couple, the husband is chasidish and wife is chiloni, completely secular. Wish more people would be so incredibly open minded like this couple.

mochamix18

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:43 pm
I agree with you both so much. Amother Silver I can’t for the life of me understand the judgmental comments toward any aida in Klal Yisrael, particularly chasidim. I think it’s easy to judge people’s background when you’ve never befriended anyone from that background. BH I was blessed to meet so many amazing Yidden from every background during my single years. One of my dear roommates was Satmar Sephardi from Brazil and I learned so much from her very interesting background and outlook. And amother Amber, I know exactly what you mean especially about the Israeli couple. I live in EY now and you will see a religious person and Chiloni stay married and have a good marriage. You’ll also see a yeshivish litvish guy married to a chasdidish lady with a covered shaitel and a chassidish guy in the levush married to a Teimania lady with a colorful tichel. There are hashkafic hang ups, but not the same as in America, not by a long shot.
I hope those hugs weren’t “mochamix your such a nebach” hugs 😂. But in all seriousness, it starts with us. So let’s think what we can do to spread some positivity and a little more ahavas Yisrael in this little corner of the internet.

Last edited by mochamix18 on Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:49 pm
Peter's a great guy. He's welcome in my home any time.
(My kids don't spray air freshener everywhere.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
True, you're 100% right.

I sometimes see horrible comments against BT's or geirim and it makes me so upset. I think BT's and geirim are so incredible for all that they gave up and they deserve our respect and at the very least some basic human decency.

In my day to day life, I don't feel it so much since I'm surrounded by many chassiddish people and some non-chassidish people who are warm and accepting and don't look down at our different minhagim the same way I don't look down at them. We're just different, not better.

It was on Imamother that I was exposed to so many Jewish women who apparently feel that I and my community are less worthy, and more awful adjectives I won't put here. It has definitely made me be more sensitive to other communities that get bashed as well.

Just remember imamother is very easy to access and to remain anonymous . The comments can be coming from ANYONE who chooses to make such comments for WHATEVER reason. I always keep that in mind when reading responses. There are many many trolls.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:35 am
I watched it and thought that he did a beautiful job summarizing his experience.
More than that, though, I think there’s something amazing that we can learn from him as a person. Peter said that before he visited chassidic communities, he only knew about them/us from the media, and that information wasn’t very flattering . Yet, he puts that aside, and comes in with wide open eyes and ears, allowing himself to see us from a whole new angle. And whaddaya know- he gained a whole new perspective on us.
Which one of us can’t benefit from some of that in our own lives? I know that I would gain tremendously in my own relationships if I were only able to put aside preconceived notions, and approach other people with a sincere curiosity, to really try and understand them and to appreciate where they’re coming from....
That, to me, is maybe the greatest takeaway from this series.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:58 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I find imamother in general to be full of judgemental women who put others into black and white little boxes. Unfortunately.

I find non Jewish, secular Jewish, and modern orthodox people to be the most open minded and accepting. I think frum women should learn a thing or two of Peter.

See what you just did there? Wink

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
See what you just did there? Wink

Ha I liked your post because I think it’s cute, but honestly, to acknowledge there is an issue that’s more relevant in the frummer world than in the more lenient MO and secular world, IMO is not considered to be judgemental. It’s just a fact. Just like many rich people tend to feel superior to the poor. It doesn’t apply to everyone obviously.

I’m not saying every woman on the chasidish yeshivish spectrum is like that. But I think it’s more common. I personally respect and appreciate everyone but I think I got this attitude from my BT parent and secular family members more than from “insiders”.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Ha I liked your post because I think it’s cute, but honestly, to acknowledge there is an issue that’s more relevant in the frummer world than in the more lenient MO and secular world, IMO is not considered to be judgemental. It’s just a fact. Just like many rich people tend to feel superior to the poor. It doesn’t apply to everyone obviously.

I’m not saying every woman on the chasidish yeshivish spectrum is like that. But I think it’s more common. I personally respect and appreciate everyone but I think I got this attitude from my BT parent and secular family members more than from “insiders”.

Your not dealing in 'facts' here. Your entire perspective is based your personal observations - which are biased (because you are human).

Many many secular Jews have rather strong negative opinions about religious Jews. So that is my personal observation to counter your personal observation.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Your not dealing in 'facts' here. Your entire perspective is based your personal observations - which are biased (because you are human).

Many many secular Jews have rather strong negative opinions about religious Jews. So that is my personal observation to counter your personal observation.

Yes I wanted to add that it’s my personal experience and maybe it’s not like that, but honestly, it does seem others do feel judged on here, and IRL too. But anyway, seems like you’re not one of the judgemental ones. Kol hakavod to you. I appreciate it.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:56 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

I was one of those secular people as were many of my now religious friends.

We really said and thought awful things. And honestly the frum community did nothing to deserve it. They just lived so very differently and "backwards" as far as I was concerned.

The worse antisemites really are Jews.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I was one of those secular people as were many of my now religious friends.

We really said and thought awful things. And honestly the frum community did nothing to deserve it. They just lived so very differently and "backwards" as far as I was concerned.

The worse antisemites really are Jews.

I didn’t refer to secular Jews accepting religious, non Jews accepting Jews, whites accepting blacks.

I just wanted to point out that the judgement among frum people feels more than than the judgement existing in other communities.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 4:19 pm
Thanks for reminding about trolls dodger blue.
Yes this is the internet.
Where anyone can be anyone.
With any agenda.
Don't feed the trolls.

Loved the series!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics