Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
When did your smell/taste come back?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:59 am
How long after you caught the virus?
It's so frustrating!
BH it should be the worst thing, but I'm desperate for it to come back and it's only been about a week šŸ™ˆ

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:56 am
Itā€™s already 3 weeks by me and Iā€™m going insane! I was just gonna open a thread ā€œtried and true methods to help gain back my sense of taste and smellā€. Please please anybody know what works? (Besides vit c and zinc)

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:58 am
Three weeks by me too, and not only don't I smell real smells, but I am smelling phantom ones. Terrible ones. I am constantly low-grade smelling ash and feces. It's super fun.

Sorry, no solution other than kvetching, which is not working too great for me.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:01 am
after a few days B"H
feel better!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:02 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
after a few days B"H
feel better!

Wow what a brocho! Did you do anything to try to get it back so fast? Thanks.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:02 am
I was sick in March and it took afew months for my taste and smell to come back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:04 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I was sick in March and it took afew months for my taste and smell to come back.

I had it back then too but I don't remember not tasting or smelling to this extent. Literally not a thing! It's ridiculous. I can taste if something is sweet or salty. That's it!
Gosh a few months is a long time Sad did it get better and better over time?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Three weeks by me too, and not only don't I smell real smells, but I am smelling phantom ones. Terrible ones. I am constantly low-grade smelling ash and feces. It's super fun.

Sorry, no solution other than kvetching, which is not working too great for me.

The distorted sense of smell and taste is called parosmia. Read this article in its entirety, it's very informative.

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-6

The horrible smell/taste is referenced (see quote below).

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" ā€” a distorted sense of smell ā€” as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."

There is olfactory training (smell/taste therapy) to regain sense of smell by Dr. Zara Patel, assistant professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Stanford University. It is simple and done twice a day for 1 minute, for 4 months.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:32 am
I got my smell and taste back probably about a wk & 1/2 after I got corona.

I am taking the Supreme Health 45 day vitamin regimen. I wonder if that's what did it.

toysrus

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:33 am
4 weeks

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:38 am
Iā€™m slowly getting back after 3 months. I do aroma therapy and itā€™s really helping! Buy online essential oils and put three drops of it into half a cup of water. Smell for 30 seconds each flavor. Link below for essential oil.
https://www.amazon.com/Lagunam.....r=8-5

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:44 am
DH got his smell back after around 6 months, but still doesn't fully have his taste.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
DH got his smell back after around 6 months, but still doesn't fully have his taste.

Oh my oh my šŸ˜­

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Iā€™m slowly getting back after 3 months. I do aroma therapy and itā€™s really helping! Buy online essential oils and put three drops of it into half a cup of water. Smell for 30 seconds each flavor. Link below for essential oil.

Thanks for this info!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:41 pm
DH lost taste and smell in March and still waiting... tried Vitamins, Supplements etc. Spent a fortune at health food store and nothing worked.
Tastes salt only
Most flavors are distorted and have a terrible taste- can't have coffee, peanut butter, onions, garlic, spices, chicken on bone, meats, chocolate.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:47 pm
A week. It was the last symptom to appear (after fever, body aches, cough) and the first to disappear. I knew I was starting to get better when my smell and taste came back, though it took another couple of days for the fever and body aches to go away.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Does this also help for taste, or just smell? I need taste more than smell...

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:08 pm
Months and months. I didnā€™t do anything to help it though. People say taking zinc helps. I still dont have my full senses back and I think itā€™s pretty much a goner.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:12 pm
Within a week of diagnosis it came back at like 5% or less (was 0% before). But it took another 2 weeks approx to fully come back. I got lucky. It can take a long time.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Does this also help for taste, or just smell? I need taste more than smell...

They work hand in hand. I do the olfactory training therapy from Stamford University with great success BH. Use special jars, lining paper, and 4 specific essential oils.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....08112
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics