Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Are we under any obligation to pay a Shaitel Macher?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:34 pm
If you ask an SM to sell you a shaitel and they spend time looking for one from different brands but none of them work for you. Do you owe the SM anything?

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:35 pm
Nope

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:04 pm
That's like paying every shadchan who gave you a suggestion!

Of course not.

square_peg

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:06 pm
No way! I heard of a sheitelmacher who demands money for a consulting fee, if you don't buy a wig by her in the end. Don't fall for it. If I go and try on a dress, or 100 dresses in a store, I don have to pay them a fee if I don't purchase anything.

real

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:58 pm
if she charges a consultation fee and you agreed to it then yes you do owe her. You knew she expected to be paid for the consult.

ddmom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:08 pm
square_peg wrote:
No way! I heard of a sheitelmacher who demands money for a consulting fee, if you don't buy a wig by her in the end. Don't fall for it. If I go and try on a dress, or 100 dresses in a store, I don have to pay them a fee if I don't purchase anything.

I personally have never heard of a consulting fee but if she's upfront about it, I don't see anything wrong with it!
Usually if you don't end up buying, you do not owe anything! It would be nice to send some business her way if she spent a considerable amount of time for you! (wash and sers or haircuts for example!)

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:16 pm
no way!!
I would say, I"m so sorry it didn't work out....
I agree with the clothing store analogy.
I like walking out with something especially when a salesperson spends time with you, but it's not an obligation!

mommyhood

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:31 pm
Some sheitel machers charge a consultation fee, most do not. I don't think the clothing store analogy is fair, the sheitel macher is typically giving you a private appointment and many times bringing in special stock for you. Assuming you had intended to buy and it didn't work out you're fine and you don't owe anything but I wouldn't go to 'window shop' unless it's a sale event.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:41 am
I have no issue with a consulting fee. But unless you inform someone of that fee that don't need to pay.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:08 am
ddmom wrote:
I personally have never heard of a consulting fee but if she's upfront about it, I don't see anything wrong with it!
Usually if you don't end up buying, you do not owe anything! It would be nice to send some business her way if she spent a considerable amount of time for you! (wash and sers or haircuts for example!)

A friend of mine had a story, where she was getting a w/s, and went to look at the wigs in the corner. She didn't like anything. went home. Sheitelmacher calls her, and said I got some new pieces, do you want to come and take a look? so she goes, and doesn't like any of it. and that's when she's told she owes her a consulting fee if she doesn't buy one. What do you think of this scenario?

This is the MO.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
A friend of mine had a story, where she was getting a w/s, and went to look at the wigs in the corner. She didn't like anything. went home. Sheitelmacher calls her, and said I got some new pieces, do you want to come and take a look? so she goes, and doesn't like any of it. and that's when she's told she owes her a consulting fee if she doesn't buy one. What do you think of this scenario?

This is the MO.

I don't care what community she is from. She was never told a fee for the service of trying on wigs. It's illegal to charge someone and not inform them before.

I can't just walk into your home and give you interior design advice and then say "Now give me money"

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:14 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

This is the MO.

I think that is wrong.

I once bought a wig and she told me on the phone there was a consultation fee that went toward the purchase of a wig.
This was OOT. She said ppl used to come to her to get an idea of what to buy and then went to NY to buy it so she started this to protect herself. But I knew in advance.

ddmom

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:49 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

This is the MO.

She most definitely doesn't owe anything!
It's not a nice way to do business because if this lady paid her the "consulting" fee she would lose a customer!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:56 am
I had this once, before I was married.
I didn’t like what she showed me and it was over my budget.
She called me and told me that she cut it for me, before I even came to her.
I didn’t ask her to cut it. I didn’t ask her to do anything to the Sheitel
I refused to pay and just hung up on her
This was over 35 yrs ago
When paying $350 for a Sheitel was a fortune.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:58 am
square_peg wrote:

I've heard of this as well. As long as the shadchen is upfront about it I think it's fine.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I think that is wrong.

I once bought a wig and she told me on the phone there was a consultation fee that went toward the purchase of a wig.
This was OOT. She said ppl used to come to her to get an idea of what to buy and then went to NY to buy it so she started this to protect herself. But I knew in advance.

CYLOR before using a person's services in that manner and then purchasing elsewhere to save a couple of bucks. I have heard that it is assur. That's not my business, but FTR, people try to do it to me ALL the time, ask me a ton of questions, then try to do it themselves, or use someone less experienced, having received my words of wisdom.

I certainly understand why a sheitel macher would want to charge a consulting fee under these circumstances. There's a lot of service that goes into it, prior to purchase. If I were in the business, I'd offer a certain amount of time free of charge. A consultation fee -- mentioned up front -- would come in after that, and if I had to order or pull specific items or give detailed advice; it would be fully recoupable against any purchase. And it would be waived for long time customers, and heavily discounted for kallahs.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:28 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I don't care what community she is from. She was never told a fee for the service of trying on wigs. It's illegal to charge someone and not inform them before.

I can't just walk into your home and give you interior design advice and then say "Now give me money"

MO = Modus Operandi I.e. how they operate LOL

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:31 am
When I was engaged I went to a bunch of SM to look at wigs.
I called one place and they told me that they charge a consultation fee that goes towards the purchase of a wig if you find something and choose to buy it there. So if you buy it there's no consultation fee, if you don't buy they get paid for their time.

I chose not to make an appt there, but if you know in advance I think its fine, everyone is entitled to run their business as they wish.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:15 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
MO = Modus Operandi I.e. how they operate LOL

Lol I was waiting to write that just didn't want to double post glad I checked first Smile

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:29 am
SixOfWands wrote:
CYLOR before using a person's services in that manner and then purchasing elsewhere to save a couple of bucks. I have heard that it is assur. That's not my business, but FTR, people try to do it to me ALL the time, ask me a ton of questions, then try to do it themselves, or use someone less experienced, having received my words of wisdom.

Correct. My Rav said I can do it if it doesn't involve someone's services. For example I can go to a glasses store and try on glasses to get a feel of what I like. No one spends time getting out glasses for me and returning them.

It also depends. Is it wrong to go to a MAC store in Israel and then buy online on the Mac website? It is the same company. It's not as if you are going to try on sneakers in a generic sneaker store and order directly from a brand.

My Rav also told me if I inform the company and they are okay it's muttar as well. If I go to a general sneaker store and say "I have no intention of buying this here, do you mind if I try some sneakers on?" and they say "Sure" I may do so.

If I go to a shoe store that has boxes out for me to try on and I do not take any time and energy from the people working there then my Rav holds that's fine as well. If I may end up purchasing it in the store and I'm not 100% sure I may use a service as well. As long as I'm being honest with myself in that area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels