Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where is lecht in you house?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Where is lecht in you house?
On the table , chassisish  
 20%  [ 56 ]
On the table , not chassidish  
 7%  [ 19 ]
On the side of the dining room, chassidish  
 12%  [ 34 ]
On the side of the dining room, not chassidish  
 45%  [ 122 ]
Somewhere else, chassidish  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Somewhere else, not chassidish  
 12%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 268

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:29 am
avrahamama wrote:
Next to dining table on a floating corner shelf nice and high for the kids.

Same here

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:14 am
On a special shelf up the wall, near the table, sideways behind my seat.
We used to have the candles on the table until one Shabbat night our challah dekel got too close and caught fire. Shame, it was a very nicely embroidered one which we had gotten for our wedding. B"H nothing else caught fire on that occasion.
Up at the wall, they are away from anything flamable and more or less out of the kids' reach as well.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:53 am
Like some previous posters, we have a nice glass shelf in the corner of the dining room. Nice and high that the kids can't reach. I used to have a sideboard that I put them on, then we moved. I wouldn't feel safe with them on the table, not to mention I wouldn't have space.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:57 am
ShishKabob wrote:
My mother has it on the table. We have it on a buffet on the side by the wall. It works out better because its safer for the kids and also makes it easier to clear the tablecloth and change it. Chassidish

Same, except for the Chassidish.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:58 am
No idea what this subject has to do with being Chassidish or not.
Mine is right in front of me at the end of the table opposite my husband who sits oiven oon at the head of the table, as per the other thread so we have clarification here. I don't think I would feel that it is safe on a side cabinet, I'd be afraid of the fire traveling to the walls. I don't notice any extra anxiety at our table in regard to the avoiding the lachter or making sure it doesn't move. It's just there, on a tray the same way a painting would be on a wall I suppose.

keym

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:02 pm
nchr wrote:
Mine is right in front of me at the end of the table (and my husband sits oiven oon at the head of the table opposite me, as per the other thread so we have clarification here lol). I don't think I would feel that it is safe on a side cabinet, I'd be afraid of the fire traveling to the walls. I don't notice any extra anxiety at our table in regard to the avoiding the lachter or making sure it doesn't move. It's just there, on a tray the same way a painting would be on a wall I suppose.

For me, the stress is the tablecloth. We have an open floor plan, and I can't close the dining room doors.
It's too easy for a crawling 10 month old to yank the tablecloth while I'm helping the 3 year old in the bathroom.
The shelves, and sideboards don't have lowish hanging cloth that can be reached by a baby or toddler.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:45 pm
Fire hazard is my #1 reason for not putting candles on the table. Well, no, TBH reason #1 is that both my mother and grandmother kept theirs on a sideboard, so that's where my candles "want"to be. I didn't even have to think about it when I got my first apt.

So fire hazard is #2, not enough room for the food is #3, not being able to see is #4, not being able to properly clean the table after the meal is #5. And I guess #6 is halachic: if you put candles on the table before Shabbat, the table becomes a "basis" (pronounced bahSEES) or base, for the candles and therefore may not be moved all Shabbat. The halachic fix for this problem is to also put the challot on the table before Shabbat, so the table is now a base for the challot, which ARE allowed to be moved, as well as for the candles. Not that we move the table very often, but I like to keep all my options open, and erev Shabbat prep is complicated enough without my adding a completely unnecessary task to the works. So, no candles on the table.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:46 pm
In the middle of the mantel piece on top of the fake fire place.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:55 pm
moonstone wrote:
I never knew that people put the candles on the dining table. That sounds very inconvenient. I put mine in a bay window in the living room.
Why inconvenient? I grew up with it that way. And both of my grandmothers did it that way as does my mother in law.
If there is room either in the middle or at the end, why not?

We only dont light on the table in the summer because we have a ceiling fan over the table. We then light on our kitchn island, but its all open plan so we can see the candles from the dinning table.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:57 pm
nchr wrote:
Mine is right in front of me at the end of the table opposite my husband who sits oiven oon at the head of the table, as per the other thread so we have clarification here. I don't think I would feel that it is safe on a side cabinet, I'd be afraid of the fire traveling to the walls. I don't notice any extra anxiety at our table in regard to the avoiding the lachter or making sure it doesn't move. It's just there, on a tray the same way a painting would be on a wall I suppose.
Meaning you are at the opposite end of the table to your husband and the candles are directly in front of you? Dont they bother to be able to see? Smile
Also, what does the yiddish you wrote above mean?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:06 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Meaning you are at the opposite end of the table to your husband and the candles are directly in front of you? Dont they bother to be able to see? Smile

אויבן אן refers to the head
When a Rebbe is conducting a tish he sits אויבן אן
If there is a bar mitzvah and the bachur and his father sit at a head table they are sitting אויבן אן

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:24 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
What does chassidish or not chassidish have to do with it?
nothing as far as I am concerned, this thread is a spin pff of another thread that used that distinction, so Used the same to compare

Metukah

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:35 pm
Chassidish, it's on a side board.

I grew up with it on the table. It was way too stressful. "Don't push the table, careful not to touch the candles...".

We bought a side board instead of a cabinet so that we have where to light the candles.

My grandmother also lit on a side board and not on the table, so I don't think it's a chassidish Vs not chassidish thing.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:39 pm
On table and so does my mom. Not really stressful bh.
My mil has it on a side table And I think it's beautiful.
Maybe when we'll have the place for a side table I'll switch over.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:44 pm
When I was growing up my mother lit on the table. I don’t remember it being stressful probably because the table was wide. I do remember that we couldn’t take off the tablecloth and I didn’t like having to clean it perfectly.
Recently my mother bought new furniture and now she lights on the buffet table on the side.

I also light on a side table.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 4:48 pm
GLUE wrote:
Same here

can you post link? I've been looking for a corner floating shelf but everything was too narrow/small fro my 2 large, 4 small candlesticks...

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:38 pm
I voted dining room not Chassidish. I really light in the living room, but it’s clearly visible from the dining room. I can’t imagine being comfortable with them on the table, but maybe our table is too small.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 6:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

There is room for my plate so not immediately in front of me. I guess I'm just used to it but yes if I look directly in front of me I would see my lachter and not my husband, but I can see all of the children just fine which is the most important part. This is how my mother has it too. I'm not engaging in conversation with my husband at the seuda and you can hear someone without seeing them or just move slightly left or right.

It means the head of the table.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:09 pm
Can anybody please give suggestions (or links) for a tray for my candles.

I’m ok if it’s silver but also ok if it’s not. I just want something that looks Shabbos-dik and is more fire-safe than my current set up.

If not silver, then what kind of tray should I search for? Glass? Stainless? And where should I search? Amazon? Judaica store?

Thank you

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 7:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why inconvenient? I grew up with it that way. And both of my grandmothers did it that way as does my mother in law.
If there is room either in the middle or at the end, why not?

We only dont light on the table in the summer because we have a ceiling fan over the table. We then light on our kitchn island, but its all open plan so we can see the candles from the dinning table.

Because you can't change the tablecloth in the event of a spill or stain, and need to place food platters around the candlesticks. I'd also be afraid of knocking them over when serving food.

We light on a kitchen counter. We can see it from the dining room. And the living room, for that matter.

We have a low counter between the dining room and living room, and that would be ideal, but I was always afraid the kids would knock it over. We know several families whose homes were severely damaged by Shabbat candles, so I want to be as safe as possible.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics