Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Messy house meltdown. Teach me PLEASE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:00 pm
I have all these little things, cosmetics, drug store items, nail stuff, lotions, tissues, hair stuff, books, etc etc.....in my bedroom & bathroom. Can someone please teach me a good system to organize??? I cannot stand the mess! At wits end

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:02 pm
Can you sort through all your drawers to organize and get rid of what you don't need? Then set one furniture drawer for your pharmaceutical items.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:37 pm
1. Purge, purge, purge. Collect all your stuff, select the best and only the best, and get rid of the rest. (Give away, sell, recycle, or throw out as appropriate.)

2. Look around your house for boxes, bowls, baskets, and other containers that you can use to corral the stuff that's left. No need to buy commercial organizers and bins. Empty tissue boxes, empty aluminum foil or plastic wrap boxes, children's and adults' shoe boxes, divided candy boxes, cigar boxes, egg cartons, ice cube trays, clear plastic clamshell boxes from baked goods, those clear plastic boxes that mesclun salads come in, wine cartons with the criss cross dividers, tins from fancy teas--all can be put to work dividing and organizing your drawers and shelves. A coffee mug--and who doesn't have too many of those?--works well to hold long skinny items like tubes of mascara and lip color, makeup brushes, emery boards, and combs.

3. Implement a one in-one out rule; every time you acquire something new--notice I said "acquire" and not "buy," as gifts, hand-me-downs, freecycle goods, freebies, found objects and things you rescue from the dumpster are also subject to the rule-- you must get rid of an equivalent old one. Tossing an old mascara does not compensate for buying a new hairstyling appliance, but you could balance a new mascara by tossing an old lipstick.

4. Only after you have used up all your miscellaneous boxes, trays, baskets and so on and lived with your new system for a while, may you consider buying organizing units, either because you don't possess anything that does the same job in the same way, or because your soul yearns not only for order but also for style. Whereas some people are ok with a hodgpodge of mismatched containers to divide a drawer or shelf, some people have a low tolerance for container diversity and like everything matchy-matchy. And while some people achieve that conforming look by covering diverse containers with paint, wallpaper, gift wrap or self-adhesive vinyl, others prefer to buy, and that's ok.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:45 pm
It sounds like you might have many items that have no home. If you can find them a place they belong, then always make sure to put them in their place after use, it will look the way you want it to!

I just read a book called real life organizing by Cassandra aarssen.
She claims to be a natural slob and had to learn how to keep her house neat and functional after having 3 kids. She goes through it all step by step. I found her book very helpful. She talked about using the SPACE method. Sort, purge, assign, contain, evaluate. You can google that term, there’s a bunch of helpful tips out there.
I also enjoyed watching Marie kondo tutorials on you tube, mostly how to declutter and her folding methods. I personally don’t find all of her techniques applicable to a frum home with children but a lot of what she says is really helpful.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:53 pm
Hire an organizer. I did. It did and still does really help bec now everything has a place.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:50 pm
Throw out everything you don't really need or haven't used in 3 months.
Get these kind of drawer organizers so you can keep all your makeup and lotions upright and organized:
https://www.amazon.com/STORi-P.....sp-20
I have these in 1 of my drawers and it's super helpful. When doing my makeup I just take out one thing at a time.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:15 pm
I bought this for myself (and my husband gave it to me as a bday gift lol). It was a game changer. All of my make up fits! I have a lot. LOL

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw.....title

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:16 pm
zaq wrote:
1. Purge, purge, purge. Collect all your stuff, select the best and only the best, and get rid of the rest. (Give away, sell, recycle, or throw out as appropriate.)

2. Look around your house for boxes, bowls, baskets, and other containers that you can use to corral the stuff that's left. No need to buy commercial organizers and bins. Empty tissue boxes, empty aluminum foil or plastic wrap boxes, children's and adults' shoe boxes, divided candy boxes, cigar boxes, egg cartons, ice cube trays, clear plastic clamshell boxes from baked goods, those clear plastic boxes that mesclun salads come in, wine cartons with the criss cross dividers, tins from fancy teas--all can be put to work dividing and organizing your drawers and shelves. A coffee mug--and who doesn't have too many of those?--works well to hold long skinny items like tubes of mascara and lip color, makeup brushes, emery boards, and combs.

3. Implement a one in-one out rule; every time you acquire something new--notice I said "acquire" and not "buy," as gifts, hand-me-downs, freecycle goods, freebies, found objects and things you rescue from the dumpster are also subject to the rule-- you must get rid of an equivalent old one. Tossing an old mascara does not compensate for buying a new hairstyling appliance, but you could balance a new mascara by tossing an old lipstick.

4. Only after you have used up all your miscellaneous boxes, trays, baskets and so on and lived with your new system for a while, may you consider buying organizing units, either because you don't possess anything that does the same job in the same way, or because your soul yearns not only for order but also for style. Whereas some people are ok with a hodgpodge of mismatched containers to divide a drawer or shelf, some people have a low tolerance for container diversity and like everything matchy-matchy. And while some people achieve that conforming look by covering diverse containers with paint, wallpaper, gift wrap or self-adhesive vinyl, others prefer to buy, and that's ok.

Such amazing ideas!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics