Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shloime Zionce and Peter Santanello series on Chassidim
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 17  18  19  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
It's just an accurate portrayal of every frum person's meal, but it isn't accurate for a typical person from Williamsburg.
The food was basically the same, but had some changes that were not traditional.
The clothing is not traditional.
The furniture is not traditional.
Everyone was speaking in English.
There was a lot of regular talking and not elevated and no Torahs.
There was a lot of whining.
There was a lot of pritzes with men and women intermingling.
The husband and wife sat at the head of the table together.
There wasn't very much respect with the children.
The table was not traditionally set up.
The dancing and singing was a little over the top.
Did someone blow out their lecht?

I wonder if they were able to approve the video before it was released?

Sorry, but you sound like you have never been anywhere outside of your daled Amos. You basically have no clue what is traditional and normal in other communities.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Sorry, but you sound like you have never been anywhere outside of your daled Amos. You basically have no clue what is traditional and normal in other communities.

This was rehashed 1000 times already on this thread.
Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, including amother Smokey and nchr.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:55 pm
Would now be a good time to ask if anyone has watched the video Peter just uploaded called “11 Things I learned from the Hasidic Jews”? Or should I start a spin-off?

talented

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 2:02 pm
Start a spinoff.
This has been too long already

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:38 pm
Can someone please explain the father bentching his daughter with a napkin between his hands and her head? Is that a chassidish minhag? I found that very interesting.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:46 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Can someone please explain the father bentching his daughter with a napkin between his hands and her head? Is that a chassidish minhag? I found that very interesting.

I think because the hair would make him tumei

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

She is not his biological daughter (this is a second marriage), hence the napkin.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
She is not his biological daughter (this is a second marriage), hence the napkin.

My father bentches all his daughters with a napkin.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:48 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
My father bentches all his daughters with a napkin.

My father in law does this too..I never understood why. I think he benches all the kids with a napkin, not just daughters.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:14 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:

Why?

mochamix18

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:47 am
DrMom wrote:
Why?

I think they are referencing that touching certain parts of the body requires negel vasser of touching those parts. The most common example is of course going to the bathroom. There are those that are makpid to also wash after dressing, brushing hair, cutting nails. I have never seen the napkin on the head for bentching the children before this video, but a number of people on this thread have says it is their families minhag and I think this where it stems from. I think the thing with hair and nails being tamei has to do with them being dead cells but I don’t have a source.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:26 am
nchr and others, this was a seudah under camera so I wouldn't be so quick to assume a regular meal looks the same. If I had a non-Jew at the table I might also not have a quiet table with lots of divrei Torah. And besides, I can't imagine divrei Torah would be included in the video as it would be boring for non-Jewish viewers.

When guest are around things are always a little different. Think about it, how would it be in your home if you had a non-Jew at the table? It wouldn't be polite to speak in Yiddish.

I wouldn't make any assumptions.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:30 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:

I always thought hair was tamei. If you touch it you should wash netilat yadayim. I wasn't taught men's and women's hair is different.

So why just the daughters?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:39 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I always thought hair was tamei. If you touch it you should wash netilat yadayim. I wasn't taught men's and women's hair is different.

As repeated here a million times this is not his real daughter it’s his step daughter, that’s why the napkin.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:42 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
As repeated here a million times this is not his real daughter it’s his step daughter, that’s why the napkin.

I believe you. I'm asking for others who say they do a napkin on their daughters.

odchai

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:42 am
I've been watching it too and I got into watching the earlier posts Peter had made when he went to live in Ukraine. I don't think those kids were misbehaving at all . I think that's how it is in most homes on Shabbos all over the world! I, too was wondering about the picture of the Rebbe and the Shtreimels the men were wearing but I know that there are all types of people that have bought in the community that Lipa Schmeltzer established. I was just thinking about how hard it and even awkward it must have been for the kids and adults to have had to make a concerted effort to ignore the camera on Shabbos. I know Shloimie consulted with Rabbanim about how to do it but it must have been a challenge. But it was very beautiful and moving.

cbsp

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:44 am
LovesHashem wrote:

The boys wear yarmulkas

odchai

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:51 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

Yes, this sounds very judgmental! Remember who will the majority of people watching this, I think it was done very well.

odchai

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:54 am
if anyone enjoyed this you might like to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....=673s from Roy Germano. His Chanukah video that he posted actually made me cry, I was so proud! And the one where he goes into 770 and films the men davening. I think it was a tremendous Kiddush Hashem

odchai

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:57 am
I think it's wonderful to see our way of life portrayed as beautiful, positive and uplifting rather than the negative views that so many are seeing from movies on Netflix!
Page 15 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics