Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Pronunciation
Previous  1  2

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:09 pm

my mama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:31 pm
I read the word sabotage and couldn't figure out the pronunciation for a really long time.

There were a lot since I read a TON when I was younger. Don't remember most though.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:48 am
Plethora

honey36

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:30 pm
Not sure if this counts because don't know if it's actually an English word, but; gnocchi.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:19 pm
Misled

I still think “to misle somebody” should be a verb Smile

Roots

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:54 am
hermione granger- till the movie came out(I thought it was her-my-own, really its her-my-own-nee)
and of course carlisle also till the movie came out lol I read it car-lis-lee really its car-lile

omg I did not know I was saying awry wrong
u guys gotta write the correct pronunciation- otherwize I might never know it..)
I defintely read more than I hear(living in israel 10 yrs now..)

Roots

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:56 am
singleagain wrote:

love that!

salt

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:18 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
For a long time, I pronounced numb and dumb as it was spelled. But I'm not English native so my British husband made me pronounce it correctly it is NUM and DUM... But for the love of G0d WHY do you spell it iwth a b at the end? Anyhoo, try to learn Dutch, really hard language. Never met a foreign who could pronounce ''trui'' which is the Dutch word for sweather/jumper

Yes for non-English speakers it's impossible.
My Israeli DS when he was learning English, read the word 'come' with a long O sound - as one should really, as there's a silent E on the end.
I told him it's actually pronounced like c-u-m, but the word 'comb' is pronounced as you just pronounced 'come'.
He just threw up his hands and said "WHO made up this language?!"

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:43 am
hors devours

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:07 am
Roots wrote:
hermione granger- till the movie came out(I thought it was her-my-own, really its her-my-own-nee)
and of course carlisle also till the movie came out lol I read it car-lis-lee really its car-lile

omg I did not know I was saying awry wrong
u guys gotta write the correct pronunciation- otherwize I might never know it..)
I defintely read more than I hear(living in israel 10 yrs now..)

In the fourth book, Hermione enunciates her name for Viktor Krum as her-my-oh-nee; JKR put that in especially because so many readers were mispronouncing the name.

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:10 am
sequoia wrote:
Misled

I still think “to misle somebody” should be a verb Smile

Misles are real! Very Happy

https://stancarey.wordpress.co.....sles/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics