Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
LG vs. Whirlpool Washing machine
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I ended up getting the lg top loader and I like it!
I’m using much less detergent (has a small detergent compartment) and my clothes are coming out very clean. My laundry actually smells better than before.
I haven’t figured out all the computerized tricks this machine does... but it’s washing my clothing very well. Also I love that it doesn’t have the agitator in the middle. I can put in a ton of clothes and it comes out great!
I have short arms and it’s a little hard for me to reach to the bottom when taking out the laundry. I keep a small step stool near the machine for that issue.
I recommend!

I had an LG top loader without the agitator, and at the four year/five year mark, it just broke terribly. I always had issues with the washer stating that a load wasn't balanced. It kept stopping in the middle and showing an Unbalanced error message, and we would have to manually redistribute the clothes and start it again, and it would finish. But over time, it would happen more and more until it happened with every single load. It wasn't unbalanced. But it would start to spin, shake violently, and then restart the load from the beginning. Over and over. A load would take four hours, and no matter how much I redistributed the load, it didn't work.

It also stopped counting down the minutes properly, so with 12 minutes left, it kept running for forty more minutes until I turned it off.

This washer had high ratings on all the websites, but once these problems started happening, I googled it and found that there were over 4,000 complaints about this very issue for that washer. I called to get it repaired and was told that it was a computer issue, and that I would need to buy a new one for $400 plus more for the labor, with not a guarantee that it would work. I chose to buy a new one instead.

My suggestion would be to buy an extended warranty, but I'm not sure it would cover these issues.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:09 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I had an LG top loader without the agitator, and at the four year/five year mark, it just broke terribly. I always had issues with the washer stating that a load wasn't balanced. It kept stopping in the middle and showing an Unbalanced error message, and we would have to manually redistribute the clothes and start it again, and it would finish. But over time, it would happen more and more until it happened with every single load. It wasn't unbalanced. But it would start to spin, shake violently, and then restart the load from the beginning. Over and over. A load would take four hours, and no matter how much I redistributed the load, it didn't work.

It also stopped counting down the minutes properly, so with 12 minutes left, it kept running for forty more minutes until I turned it off.

This washer had high ratings on all the websites, but once these problems started happening, I googled it and found that there were over 4,000 complaints about this very issue for that washer. I called to get it repaired and was told that it was a computer issue, and that I would need to buy a new one for $400 plus more for the labor, with not a guarantee that it would work. I chose to buy a new one instead.

My suggestion would be to buy an extended warranty, but I'm not sure it would cover these issues.

So strange... I haven’t had any issues.
I wonder if they upgraded the new models?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:14 pm
I've had mine for at least 6 years of heavy use, bli ayin hara no issues.

Unfortunately, modern washing machines rely heavily on the computer component, and if that goes, the whole thing is practically useless. I had to get rid of an oven for that reason - the control panel melted, and it would have cost $400 or so to replace, assuming that was the only issue. I chose to buy a brand new oven for $600.

Some will always break, it doesn't mean that all of them are faulty.

I like looking at the Yale Appliance website, where they list the most reliable brands - they actually service them, so they know.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:24 pm
My LG front loader is 9 years old.
Last year the motherboard died. My husband was able to find the part on ebay and fix it himself but the repair pp were quoting $350+ to fix it. In that case I was debating a new machine.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:05 pm
BUMP
I urgently need new machine for my basement appartment!
Need a front loader, it's to put inside a closet!
I could buy LG or Whirlpool for the same price! 4.5 cu
What would you do? Any update?
Please help me asap!!!
I would like to order today if possible!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:13 pm
Not LG
Whirlpool is much better
I wouldn't buy LG anything. My house came with everything LG.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:15 pm
Whatever you choose to buy, please make sure you buy an extended warranty! ESP with the newer machines that run with newer technology.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:20 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Whatever you choose to buy, please make sure you buy an extended warranty! ESP with the newer machines that run with newer technology.

Did you ever use extended warranty?
My husband think it's a waste of money because machine almost never brake within the first 5 yrs!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:21 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Not LG
Whirlpool is much better
I wouldn't buy LG anything. My house came with everything LG.

Thank you. I am leaning towards the whirlpool because of all the comments above!!
Anyone else?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Did you ever use extended warranty?
My husband think it's a waste of money because machine almost never brake within the first 5 yrs!

I agree.
Extended warranties are a waste of money.
The appliance stores promote them because they earn a hefty commission on them.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:38 pm
Ba"h had my LG front loader for almost 10 years now. Never had to call a repairman in that time...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:13 pm
I think I'm the OP of this thread lol

I ended up getting Whirlpool as the appliance store recommended. minor issues that lots of times its unbalanced) but I've had for over a year now and like it. My Mom has teh LG and hasn't had any problems (3 yrs already) but the LG she has looks like it has much cooler features vs my whirlpool. funny thing is that the appliance store told me to go with whirlpool because that had more features. unless maybe the LG my mom has is an upgraded model or something.

would def recommend whirlpool

ETA-I have a warranty that covers my entire house. I agree that getting extended warranty on your specific appliance is not worth it. my mom has been doing it for over 10 years and always had huge issues with it. harldy worth it

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I agree.
Extended warranties are a waste of money.
The appliance stores promote them because they earn a hefty commission on them.

They're worth it for refrigerators. We extend that as much as we can.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:59 pm
My repairman told me that he has so much less repairs in the LG than the whirlpool. I had the whirlpool and when I needed a new one I got the LG. I love my LG so much better. All stores recommend whirlpool over LG. I have this niggling feeling that they make more on commission on whirlpool. A family member outside of Brooklyn asked her repairman and he said the same as whom I asked. That's why I settled for the LG and bh don't regret it.
Eta: I see on my previous post I was considering the Maytag. Well I didn't get it cuz I found out shortly after posting that, that my mil had just bought and she hates it. So I had look into other options.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 11:04 am
So confusing reading these posts...
Some say Whirpool is horrible
Some say LG is...
Btw Maytag is Whirlpool

I think all new machines are junk
I just had major problems with my brand new Maytag Front loader
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry