Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Would you give a choice or surprise?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:20 am
I am buying a piece of jewelry for someone who helped me out a lot. I know they would appreciate jewelry (and not a gift certificate). I can either choose something I think they’d like or send them a few options and ask which one they like best.

What would you do?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:22 am
Give a few options.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:27 am
Depends how well I know the person.

for instance I got my best friend and necklace with a charm that I knew she would really appreciate it and and she was so very thankful

But then again I also once got her a dinosaur charm because I knew she liked dinosaurs but then she told me she wasn't that into dinosaurs although she still appreciated it

So I would say depends on how well you know the person and what the occasion is

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:32 am
Can you do Surprise you are getting a piece of jewelry!!!
There are your options. Pick one.

That would be my option as the recipient.

Don’t start with so, I want to get you a pie of jewel and I am not sure which one you want, here are a few to pick from. It is all in the presentation.

bestee

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:41 am
I would appreciate most if it is picked out for me with an option to exchange.

imaima

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:49 am
Surprise her with a piece of your choice and offer the receipt if she chooses to exchange it.

I

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:26 pm
I would feel bad to exchange and would feel even worse to have someone spend money on something that I won’t enjoy as much as I could have. A choice seems to be the perfect option for someone like me but again that’s just me

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:42 pm
For Rosh Hashana I bought jewelry (nice costume) for my daughters and daughter-in-law. I wanted each to choose, and DH thought it would be better to choose for them. They ended up choosing, and each girl picked exactly what I thought she would! That was a win all around.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:46 pm
bestee wrote:

It's a warm feeling to get a wrapped up box with a piece that was selected with you in mind. Not as warm as looking a few over and choosing one.
A gift receipt included with assurances that the giftee should feel comfortable to exchange is great.

cuffs

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:47 pm
Give a choice

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:47 pm
bestee wrote:

This. Most jewelery stores allow exchanges if you let them know beforehand that you are buying a surprise gift for someone else.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:49 pm
singleagain wrote:
Depends how well I know the person.

for instance I got my best friend and necklace with a charm that I knew she would really appreciate it and and she was so very thankful

But then again I also once got her a dinosaur charm because I knew she liked dinosaurs but then she told me she wasn't that into dinosaurs although she still appreciated it

So I would say depends on how well you know the person and what the occasion is

Gift giving is economically inefficient by nature. Meaning, the items selected as a gift won't have the same utility value as something the person chose for him or herself. However, the value of having something picked out that shows that the gifter is thinking of the giftee also counts. Even if the gift itself is not as valuable.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am buying a piece of jewelry for someone who helped me out a lot. I know they would appreciate jewelry (and not a gift certificate). I can either choose something I think they’d like or send them a few options and ask which one they like best.

What would you do?

I would feel very uncomfortable selecting a gift for myself. Choose something that you think she'll like, and give her a gift receipt making clear that you have no issue if she exchanges it.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:24 pm
Jewelry is so personal that I would appreciate a choice of a few options.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:58 pm
I always give gifts that can be exchanged. Most stores will print a gift receipt for you so the recipient will not see how much the gift was, but they can still exchange it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics