Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Crockpot soup

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 5:38 pm
DH loves soup, but is not a big chulent eater. I always make soup in a crockpot for shabbos lunch, even in the summer. I have a rotation of a few recipes that I've been making for years:

Split Pea
Yemenite
Mushroom Barley
Gruenkern
Avicas (Sephardic tomato-bean soup)

We are getting a little bored of eating the same soups over and over, but a lot of the recipes I've found for crockpot soups won't work for shabbos. DH has birthday coming up, and I would love to surprise him with a new soup. He'd probably enjoy that more than a birthday cake, although I plan on baking as well.

I would love some help from all you wonderful cooks out there. 2 caveats: DH does not like sweet soups, so no butternut squash type recipes. And no chicken soup. But that is a discussion for a whole other thread.

TIA!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 5:40 pm
I've done meat soup (chicken soup with meat instead of chicken) and everyone likes it, but it's kinda similar to cholent. just thinner. would you go for a savory butternut squash soup?

and do you mind posting your recipes? they sound yummy.

chaya35

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 5:59 pm
Cabbage Soup

2 onions, diced
1 16 oz pkg shredded cabbage
4-6 pieces beef flanken, cut into big chunks
32 oz can tomato sauce
4 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons beef soup mix
salt and pepper to taste

I add potatoes.

Directions:
Place onions on bottom of crock pot. add flanken and cook on high for 1 hour. Add rest of ingredients and cook on high for 5-6 hours.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 6:32 pm
vegetable barley soup
Butternut squash soup (I only like it salty)
Lentil barley soup
Parsnip bisque

Should all be good in the crockpot.

I'd love to see the recipe for your mushroom barley soup

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 8:41 pm
Dill Lima Bean Soup. Super easy. Thursday night soak 1lb/500g lima (butter) beans in lots of water. Have between 1/2-1lb meat (stew, chuck -- anything that doesn't have huge gobs of fat on it) cut into small 1/2 inch cubes. Chop 1 huge (softball size) or two smaller onions into 3/4 inch dice. Check and roughly chop one bunch of fresh dill or have ready 2 TB dried dill. Right before shabbos, throw the the lima beans (without the soaking water) and all the other ingredients plus almost 1TB salt into the crockpot with about 2 inches of water to cover. Put on low until lunch time. It will be brown and soupy. I've only compliments from this soup. Thanks for the recipe Mrs Soll!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 8:45 pm
These recipes are all for a 5.5 qt crockpot. I highly recommend the use of crockpot liners!

If you make any of these soups early enough on a Friday, you can cook on high for a couple of hours and then turn down to low until the next day. I usually end up putting the soup up last minute, and I'm always afraid I'm going to forget to turn it down before shabbos, so I often just put it on low the whole time.

Split Pea Soup:

3 onions, cut in eighths
4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
whole head garlic, peeled
1 lb split peas, approx. 2 cups (I like yellow, but green is just as good)
bones (I like beef neck bones or marrow bones)
carrots, sliced thinly (optional, but DD loves soup carrots, so I always put a lot in)
salt and pepper to taste
onion and garlic powder to taste (optional - we like our food highly seasoned)

Boil the onions, celery and garlic in enough water to cover for approx. 20-30 minutes until soft. Puree with immersion blender. While the veggies boil, put everything else in the crockpot. Pour the "mush" into the crockpot and give a good stir. Add water up to the top and stir again.

Yemenite Soup:

2-3 onions, finely chopped
3-4 carrots, finely chopped
2-3 celery, finely chopped
5-10 cloves of garlic, minced (I always use a full head)
bones
1/4 cup ketchup
salt and pepper to taste
1 heaping Tblsp Pereg hawaije (mixed spices for soup - If you can't get this, add 1 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp of cumin, but it's really not the same)
optional - add 1/4 cup of rice, or chop in 2 potatoes. Lately I've been experimenting with adding couscous or sweet potatoes.

Fill crockpot with water to top and give a good stir. I usually boil a kettle of water to give the soup a good starting point.

Mushroom-Barley Soup:

2 onions, finely chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, minced (I usually use a whole head)
1 box mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup barley
bones
1 bay leaf
2 Tblsp soy sauce
2 Tblsp dry red wine
sprinkle of cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Fill crockpot with water to top and give a good stir. I usually boil a kettle of water to give the soup a good starting point.

Gruenkern Soup

3 onions, cut in eighths
4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
whole head garlic, peeled
2/3 cup whole gruenkern
2/3 cup ground gruenkern
1/3 cup oats
1 bay leaf
bones
salt and pepper to taste
onion and garlic powder to taste
optional - sausages, cut into rounds

Boil the onions, celery and garlic in enough water to cover for approx. 20-30 minutes until soft. Puree with immersion blender. While the veggies boil, put everything else in the crockpot. Pour the "mush" into the crockpot and give a good stir. Add water up to the top and stir again.

Avicas

2 onions, finely chopped
3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
1 lb navy or small white beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
3 cubes frozen parsley
3 cubes frozen cilantro
dry parsley to taste (recipe really calls for fresh, but I'm lazy)
ground coriander to taste
salt and pepper to taste
tomato paste or sauce to taste (I usually just throw in the whole can)
bones

reed

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 9:29 pm
Thanks for the recipes. The mushroom barley was a hit this Shabbos. Looking forward to trying more crockpot soups!

bananasplit

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 10:36 pm
What setting do you leave the crockpot on?

reed

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 10:57 pm
I set my crockpot on low from before Shabbos till Shabbos lunch.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:13 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

Mushroom-Barley Soup:

2 onions, finely chopped
8-10 cloves garlic, minced (I usually use a whole head)
1 box mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup barley
bones
1 bay leaf
2 Tblsp soy sauce
2 Tblsp dry red wine
sprinkle of cumin
salt and pepper to taste

No sauteeing?

Everyone's crockpot is a different size, how do you end up with a not too thin/not too thick soup, after it cooks until Shabbos lunch, and you cant thin or thicken soup, then?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:15 pm
No sauteing. As I said at the beginning of the recipes, these are all for a 5.5 at crockpot and should be scaled up or down accordingly. These days I tend to add more veggies as my kids like their soups chunkier.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:21 pm
Thanks!

What meat would I add in parchment paper?

Would adding kishke and some meat chunks, rolled up in parchment, be a good idea?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:31 pm
I don't know how kishke would work, but you can certainly try it. Sometimes I buy packages of stew meat when they're on sale and freeze them in small batches to add to the soup. I just throw them right in though - no need to wrap up in anything. You can also throw in some sliced hot dogs or mild sausages if your family would like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics