Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Anyone watched bridgerton-netflix adaptation of julia quinn
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
There's no way the queen would realistically go to all those balls and be in on all the gossip.

Yup, exactly--that's why I didn't like the Queen or her plot.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:30 pm
All the quibbling about details and accuracy is ridiculous.

This is just happens to be set in a "mythical" Regency England - it is not historical fiction or a reproduction of a period.

This wasn't cultural diversity as the race or ethnicity had no significance to the plot. Masterpiece Theatre broadcast Sanditon which was based on an unfinished Jane Austen novel. One of the protagonists was a Jamaican heiress and in that production, race was a plot point and the entire production was more of a standard historical drama as opposed to a fantasy that just happened to occur in a time when the cast could wear gorgeous (but fairly inaccurate) costumes.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:46 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
All the quibbling about details and accuracy is ridiculous.

This is just happens to be set in a "mythical" Regency England - it is not historical fiction or a reproduction of a period.

This wasn't cultural diversity as the race or ethnicity had no significance to the plot. Masterpiece Theatre broadcast Sanditon which was based on an unfinished Jane Austen novel. One of the protagonists was a Jamaican heiress and in that production, race was a plot point and the entire production was more of a standard historical drama as opposed to a fantasy that just happened to occur in a time when the cast could wear gorgeous (but fairly inaccurate) costumes.

I can only state my personal feelings and, of course, you are entitled to yours.
When reading the books, they go into great detail to descripe each characters physical appearance. So it is difficult to watch the show when everyone looks so different than they are meant to

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I can only state my personal feelings and, of course, you are entitled to yours.
When reading the books, they go into great detail to descripe each characters physical appearance. So it is difficult to watch the show when everyone looks so different than they are meant to

Characters in books often don't look at all the way they are described - the only difference is that here people seem to be objecting because some of them are POC instead of white.

I find it amusing to read books and compare to the cinematic depiction - for example The Undoing starring Nicole Kidman is based on a book called You Should Have Known in which the Nicole Kidman character is actually a thin petite Jewish brunette who lives on the Upper West Side. It didn't stop me from enjoying The Undoing on its own terms.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Characters in books often don't look at all the way they are described - the only difference is that here people seem to be objecting because some of them are POC instead of white.

I find it amusing to read books and compare to the cinematic depiction - for example The Undoing starring Nicole Kidman is based on a book called You Should Have Known in which the Nicole Kidman character is actually a thin petite Jewish brunette who lives on the Upper West Side. It didn't stop me from enjoying The Undoing on its own terms.

Not only because of their race. While obviously that is a big part. Eloise, for instance, and Anthony and colin should have chesnut colored hair. Simon is meant to have piercing light eyes.
For me also, the addition of POC to the show just makes it seem so unrealistic. But that's just me 🤷‍♀️

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Not only because of their race. While obviously that is a big part. Eloise, for instance, and Anthony and colin should have chesnut colored hair. Simon is meant to have piercing light eyes.
For me also, the addition of POC to the show just makes it seem so unrealistic. But that's just me 🤷‍♀️

Do you really not like how Simon looks? He’s very handsome.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:02 am
So enjoyable! Be forewarned about s-x scenes.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:09 am
I had a hard time with the casting. While I understand the need for ethnic diversity etc. Having characters that are not cast in away that is historically believable or accurate becomes distracting. Imagine casting a POC as Abraham Lincoln and the slaves as Caucasians? Or a Caucasian Martin Luther King? Cant imagine that would go over well.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:12 am
Did no one dislike that all the girls boobs were pushed up to their necks???! I thought that was crazy it looked so weird

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Did no one dislike that all the girls boobs were pushed up to their necks???! I thought that was crazy it looked so weird

That’s historically accurate. Corsets give that look.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I had a hard time with the casting. While I understand the need for ethnic diversity etc. Having characters that are not cast in away that is historically believable or accurate becomes distracting. Imagine casting a POC as Abraham Lincoln and the slaves as Caucasians? Or a Caucasian Martin Luther King? Cant imagine that would go over well.

So this is why I abandoned the series after about 20 minutes.
My friend, knowing that I like historical drama, had recommended it to me.
I too found the colorblind casting distracting and obviously hewing to a PC agenda, which annoyed me.
And, it's a light-hearted period fantasy rather than a serious historical drama, so not my cup of tea.
Didn't appreciate the s-x scenes either. Discovered that I'm a prude at heart Surprised
Or maybe I'm just getting old.

sequoia

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 9:52 am
etky wrote:
So this is why I abandoned the series after about 20 minutes.
My friend, knowing that I like historical drama, had recommended it to me.
I too found the colorblind casting distracting and obviously hewing to a PC agenda, which annoyed me.

If you’d kept watching, you’d have seen they address the point.

It’s an alternate universe in which Queen Charlotte (George III’s consort) is Black, and upon becoming queen she elevates her people, giving them titles, wealth, and land.

It’s an interesting idea. Not sure why casting actors of color is hewing to any sort of “agenda.”

As for finding it “distracting”... we just have to get used to it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:10 am
As someone who has been a fan of Julia Quinn books for years, even before she became a well known author, I didn't like the series compared to her books. It didn't have the quirkiness that I like. I didn't like the way Violet was portrayed. They messed around with the plot-added people and things I didn't think were necessary and then left out things I liked.
Compared to the books it falls short. Very short. I also agree with the above posters about the POC thing. It annoyed me as well.
However, once I set all that aside, I really enjoyed the series as a piece of light-hearted fluff. Regency romances are not meant to be high-brow literature, and the netflix series got that part right. It was a really nice relaxing watch and just what I needed with my stressful life. I could have totally done without all the bedroom scenes though. I've never understood the need for showing all that. Maybe that makes me a prude, but I feel the plot can flow quite well with only the allusions rather than the actual scenes (which are anyway fake).

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:11 am
Many historians think queen charlotte was black. So that bothered me far less then all the other black characters with no explanation as to why they got there. I thought it could have remained historically accurate and still had a diverse cast. There were plenty of black people in London at that time. (I believe black pages were an extremely fashionable thing to have) The duke being black (and both his parents) I felt was unrealistic. His friend the boxer was based on fact. I know it is meant to be a fantasy universe but I don't know if it works so well...why not have the black characters and explain how they go there? And talk a bit more about actual race? Except for about 2 sentences, race is ignored. For example, there was a real person called Dido Elizabeth Belle living in London at that time, the Duke could easily have had a backstory similar to hers.

If you are interested in more accurate depiction of what it was like to be black in England in that period, the movie Belle is based on Dido's life and I recommend you watch that.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:02 am
sequoia wrote:
If you’d kept watching, you’d have seen they address the point.

It’s an alternate universe in which Queen Charlotte (George III’s consort) is Black, and upon becoming queen she elevates her people, giving them titles, wealth, and land.

It’s an interesting idea. Not sure why casting actors of color is hewing to any sort of “agenda.”

As for finding it “distracting”... we just have to get used to it.

So I gave it two shots -one before I knew anything about the series, and then a second time, after reading about the series and the fact that it depicts a fantasy in regard to the racial diversity and that it was meant to be fluffy and not historically accurate.
I thought I might like it better the second time, watching from a more informed POV, but no, it still did not grab me and the s-x scenes were also a turn off for me.
It's just not a genre that appeals to me.
Regarding the unrealistic racial casting, I tolerated it in "The Spanish Princess" because I enjoyed the series, although the casting did annoy me to the very end of the show.
To me, this show was not worth watching because it did not hold my interest, otherwise I probably would have been able to set aside the casting issue.

sequoia

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:05 am
Yeah I find sx scenes really gross. I fast-forwarded them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:22 am
I've never even heard of the books, so I didn't go in with any preconceived notions. I love any type of costume drama. "Reign" is still one of my all time favorites.

I didn't mind the racial diversity. The ugly truth is that a lot of people of color got quite wealthy as brokers in the slave trade, especially in Dutch colonies. That still wouldn't have gotten them into white society, though.

I know a black girl from Trinidad, who grew up on a huge plantation. Her grandparents were slave owners, and they also had a lot of "house servants". She had a college education and spoke 5 languages fluently. She could have easily mixed in high society if she wanted to.

Historically, the Queen is part Portuguese, which gave her "a swarthy complexion, and nose and mouth far too wide to be called pretty."

I thought that all the actors were fun, and didn't expect too much from them. It was entertaining.

As a jeweler, what offended me the most is that most of the characters were wearing 1950's pieces by the design houses of Miriam Haskel, Coro, and Trifari. I recognized a lot of them as being highly collectable, but NOT period!

As for the zex scenes, it was definitely a bit much. I thought of it as "p0rn for housewives". I would have like more character development instead.

(Director: When I said "flesh out the characters", that's not what I meant!) LOL

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:36 am
yich. I watched the first few episodes nearly spitting out my drink from the obvious attempt to remake pride and prejudice.

smart alecky protaganist? check
love interest is at first aloof and broody and they clearly dislike each other at first? check
micromanaging mom with tons of daughters, one being a little bookish? check, check, check
dad is disinterestd? check
there are actually SO many more references that are clearly copying pride and prejudice, it's just stupid at this point.

the s-x scenes were gratuitous and pretty much soft p0rn

okay good points:
costumes are deliciously beautiful
the guy who played anthony was wonderful

honestly everyone else's acting sucked lol

I seriously don't know why shows like this and emily in paris (gag me) were so popular

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
yich. I watched the first few episodes nearly spitting out my drink from the obvious attempt to remake pride and prejudice.

smart alecky protaganist? check
love interest is at first aloof and broody and they clearly dislike each other at first? check
micromanaging mom with tons of daughters, one being a little bookish? check, check, check
dad is disinterestd? check
there are actually SO many more references that are clearly copying pride and prejudice, it's just stupid at this point.

the s-x scenes were gratuitous and pretty much soft p0rn

okay good points:
costumes are deliciously beautiful
the guy who played anthony was wonderful

honestly everyone else's acting sucked lol

I seriously don't know why shows like this and emily in paris (gag me) were so popular

Maybe the netflix series played it up. It is not like that in the books at all. If you read the books, obviously the 'Duke and I' which is what this first series is mostly, and rather loosely, based on, you get a very different picture.
If you don't mind me saying though, I think you are reading a little into it. I didn't get that impression at all. Also do you read a lot of romance books? There are certain tropes that often occur. Smart, sassy female protagonist-very very common. Hero aloof and broody-again very very common, especially in regency romance. And so on. Most books follow similar plot lines as there are a finite amount of plots out there. Once you've read enough books, all you're doing is rereading the same storyline just done in another way.
I'm not saying I think the series was wow up there, but it was a enjoyable piece of 'soft fluff', much like the books are as well.

Anyway, what's the issue with pride and prejudice remakes? I'm a total fan of all the book adaptations and variations. I know some people are purists, and I get that the zombies wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but many of them are excellent stories and I personally enjoy them. They're usually nice light reading and I really enjoy seeing how people change up the story and make a different HEA (happily ever after).

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe the netflix series played it up. It is not like that in the books at all. If you read the books, obviously the 'Duke and I' which is what this first series is mostly, and rather loosely, based on, you get a very different picture.
If you don't mind me saying though, I think you are reading a little into it. I didn't get that impression at all. Also do you read a lot of romance books? There are certain tropes that often occur. Smart, sassy female protagonist-very very common. Hero aloof and broody-again very very common, especially in regency romance. And so on. Most books follow similar plot lines as there are a finite amount of plots out there. Once you've read enough books, all you're doing is rereading the same storyline just done in another way.
I'm not saying I think the series was wow up there, but it was a enjoyable piece of 'soft fluff', much like the books are as well.

Anyway, what's the issue with pride and prejudice remakes? I'm a total fan of all the book adaptations and variations. I know some people are purists, and I get that the zombies wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but many of them are excellent stories and I personally enjoy them. They're usually nice light reading and I really enjoy seeing how people change up the story and make a different HEA (happily ever after).

I agree, the books are nothing like the show and do not seem to copy pride and prejudice at all . ( although pride and prejudice may be my favorite movie of all day. I can imagine swooning with Mr. Darcy lol)
Anyway, I can imagine people not knowing the series liking the show. I hated it because of how well I liked the books.
The relations scenes were way too graphic.

Note about Anthony - to the poster who wrote he was great- I hated him since he was basically portrayed as an a** in the show when in the books he is the family rock.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics