Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to relieve baby's gassiness?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:06 pm
Any suggestions on what to do to relieve my baby's gassiness? Any supplements to give her? She's been screaming the last 12 hours not sleeping for more than 20 minutes at a time, farting away, twitching her tummy...

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:08 pm
I give mylicon drops before a feeding.
Warm chamomile tea with a bit of brown sugar can also help.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:09 pm
Look into infant tummy massage.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:10 pm
mylicon drops!!!! available over the counter. May also be called gas drops. or simethicone drops.

probiotics helps alot, though not on the spot.
warm water with a pinch or 2 of brown sugar. Gets a baby's system moving fast. As she poops, air will come out along with it.
You can try massaging her in a ticklish way, to make here squirm. The more she squirms and moves her torso, the faster the gas will pass.

(IMA since I can probably be identified with these tips-having been a babysitter for newborns for years. LOL)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:12 pm
mylicon is a lifesaver!!! It works even after feedings, I can see my baby relax within minutes of him taking it.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:12 pm
Windi! Instant relief. Go to CVS and get it now.
https://www.babylist.com/gp/th.....10600

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:49 pm
Mylicon!!

Frumme

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:59 pm
Cycling! Cycle your baby's legs and every now and then press the thighs up into her belly. It helps to get the gas moving and release pressure.

mommyW

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 5:32 pm
I second giving a warm bottle of camomile tea with a little bit of brown sugar. It calms them down immediately. Make sure to burp the baby after about an ounce.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:50 pm
I'm exclusively breastfeeding. which food/drink should I avoid to prevent baby's gassiness?

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:57 pm
Mylicon by every feed. Works wonders.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:59 pm
I found dairy to be the biggest trigger. Think what you ate in hours/ day preceding this gassiness episode and work from there. Every baby is different and reacts different to foods. One of my babies was sensitive to mushrooms(besides for the regular triggers of dairy, gassy veggies like cabbage peppers...) !

newbie613

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:59 pm
Is mylicon better than gripe water?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:00 pm
For some its coffee! Are you a big coffee drinker?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:01 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I found dairy to be the biggest trigger. Think what you ate in hours/ day preceding this gassiness episode and work from there. Every baby is different and reacts different to foods. One of my babies was sensitive to mushrooms(besides for the regular triggers of dairy, gassy veggies like cabbage peppers...) !

I agree with the dairy. first day I was off it completely I already saw a huge difference but by the second day, baby was back to her screaming so obviously it's something else (also?) and I cant figure it out. I keep away from the obvious like beans and eggplant.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:01 pm
gripe water is more natural but mylicon is more effective.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:02 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
For some its coffee! Are you a big coffee drinker?
no coffee at all but I do enjoy a hot cocoa most mornings. can cocoa cause gassiness?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:03 pm
btw I tried the chamomile tea. baby loved to drink it, first time I mixed in a bit of breastmilk to sweeten. second time baby drank plain tea with no sweetner. it calmed her down for the next hour but she didnt fall asleep and continued farting after so overall didnt seem to be very effective (though I'll never know what she'd be like wtihout it.....)

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:05 pm
newbie613 wrote:
Is mylicon better than gripe water?

Gripe water never worked for any of my babies.
I think newborns are gassy no matter what mom eats.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
btw I tried the chamomile tea. baby loved to drink it, first time I mixed in a bit of breastmilk to sweeten. second time baby drank plain tea with no sweetner. it calmed her down for the next hour but she didnt fall asleep and continued farting after so overall didnt seem to be very effective (though I'll never know what she'd be like wtihout it.....)

You put brown sugar? Was it warm enough?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics