Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum community in Texas (houston)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:24 pm
Hi! Can anyone give me any info about the frum community there, what the crowd is like, house pricing, the school's, job opportunities...thanks in advance!!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:29 pm
There was just a great article on the frum community in Houston in last week's Mishpacha magazine. Maybe you can find it online or find someone who still has the issue for you to read.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:09 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=20

This thread is a few years old but still has lots of good info. Since then probably another 50 families have moved into the community. It is very, very hard to find housing.
I was another mint in the above thread. Let me know if you have any other questions

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314090&start=20

This thread is a few years old but still has lots of good info. Since then probably another 50 families have moved into the community. It is very, very hard to find housing.
I was another mint in the above thread. Let me know if you have any other questions

Not OP, but how would you compare the frum community in Houston to that in Dallas in terms of schooling, religious level, socioeconomic, cost of living, other pros and cons of each?

And as far as housing, are there any plans to build more housing and/or expand the community's borders, or is that not really possible because I've heard that the area around it isn't such a nice neighborhood? If someone has money and can afford a nicer house, are those easier to come by?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:36 pm
I don't know much about Dallas, sorry can't answer that.

As far as housing, yes there is a new development going up within the neighborhood but it is very slow. They will only build a certain amount of houses at once. The first two phases are mostly completed so they need enough buyers before beginning phase 3.
I think the new homes start at about 600k.
Here is the website
http://www.dh-northfield.com/

Last I heard the next set of houses they are projecting to be ready in 2 years from now (but that's not a first hand account)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:53 pm
Quote:
If someone has money and can afford a nicer house, are those easier to come by?

To answer this separately, its not so much about money. If you have one house for sale and 10 people looking to buy, sure you can outbid them, but you'll also probably pay way more than the 50 yr old house is worth
But if you have money and can wait you can build in the new development I mentioned above. There are a few families that have moved into small rentals while they're waiting to build (but even rentals are hard to find right now)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 7:47 am
thinking of moving to houston, and seems like prices are going crazy and there's just nothing to buy or even rent. is this the case?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 12:20 pm
Correct
Supply and demand...
It hasn't helped that a new development is going up with prices that are much higher than anyone ever paid before. This has drove up the pricing of the old houses astronomically. People see newcomers willing to buy a new home for $700,000, so their "enticing" buyers with an older home for $500,000 (the same house that 2 years ago would have sold for $250,000)

professor

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 1:25 pm
Interesting thread. Following

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:59 am
is there a shaitel macher in houston that sells shaitels?

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Correct
Supply and demand...
It hasn't helped that a new development is going up with prices that are much higher than anyone ever paid before. This has drove up the pricing of the old houses astronomically. People see newcomers willing to buy a new home for $700,000, so their "enticing" buyers with an older home for $500,000 (the same house that 2 years ago would have sold for $250,000)

We are thinking about Houston as well
Found this home - https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/
Is this considered astronomical? Seems fair to me compared to current prices in Lakewood currently!

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:19 am
Bumping

Does anyone have updated info on Houston?

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:40 am
Get in touch with Rabbi Aryeh Wolbe and Family from Houston. Rabbi Wolbe is the Executive Director · TORCH (Torah Outreach Resource Center of Houston)
I am sure they can help you find information on their area.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 10:06 am
amother Catmint wrote:
Get in touch with Rabbi Aryeh Wolbe and Family from Houston. Rabbi Wolbe is the Executive Director · TORCH (Torah Outreach Resource Center of Houston)
I am sure they can help you find information on their area.

Rabbi Wolbe is great and I'm sure would be happy to help, but since his main focus there is kiruv, I would sooner reach out to the main shul there - YI of Houston - for local contacts and info.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 4:46 pm
[quote="amother Whitewash"]We are thinking about Houston as well
Found this home - https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/
Is this considered astronomical? Seems fair to me compared to current prices in Lakewood currently![/quote

I live in a frum community in Houston and this house is about an hour's drive away. I'm not aware of a religious community in that area, but I could be wrong.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Bumping

Does anyone have updated info on Houston?

If you're referring to housing-
In the YI neighborhood, houses are extremely hard to come by. Anything desirable is usually bought before it even hits the market. The Chabad neighborhood is close by, but the neighborhoods are separated by a busy thoroughfare and an unsafe area so children can't walk on their own.
There is a new development that is in the works bordering the YI neighborhood, but it's been in the works for several years now. I know someone who moved to a small home/apt with a large family about 3 or 4 years ago because they were hoping the new houses would be ready within a year and they still haven't started building it. There's no real timeline on that development as far as I know. And even the small rentals can be very difficult to come by.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 4:57 pm
It looks like there's some affordable houses for rent.
Are these realistic?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....15%7D

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 5:00 pm
amother Aster wrote:
It looks like there's some affordable houses for rent.
Are these realistic?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....15%7D

Don't see any specific links. What area or community are you looking for?

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 5:03 pm
Also, what's up with this house?
I don't know anything about prices and houses but this looks like a good price, no?

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 5:03 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
Don't see any specific links. What area or community are you looking for?

That's interesting. When I click on it I see it. It's right in the YI area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating