Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
OT for sensory experience

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:42 pm
If you are a OT specializing in sensory issues or of your child is receiving OT for sensory issues: Can you walk me through a session? This is for a child who is under 3 and receiving ot through EI.

I am trying to pinpoint if dc's OT is skilled in this area.

Thank you!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 7:53 pm
My child is older- almost 6.
I take her to a center that is very well equipped for her sensory needs. In the past she's had other OTs, both at home and in a different therapy center, but it didn't help much for her sensory processing issues; not because they were unskilled, but because they weren't set up to cater to her needs.
The center I take her to has a full sensory gym with swings, a zipline, tranpolines, climbing stuff, etc., so they have a lot to work with and she's able to get all the input she needs during the session.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 9:10 pm
I'm an OT. There's no way of answering your question because it's very individual. Every child and every session is different. In general, I come in and greet both the parent and the child. I ask the parent how things have been since our last session, and gather any relevant information. Then I sit down with the child and start to play. What and how we play will depend on the child's needs, goals, and how he or she is presenting that day. If the parent is present during the session I give brief explanations of what and why we are doing what we're doing, and at the end I give a more detailed explanation.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:39 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My child is older- almost 6.
I take her to a center that is very well equipped for her sensory needs. In the past she's had other OTs, both at home and in a different therapy center, but it didn't help much for her sensory processing issues; not because they were unskilled, but because they weren't set up to cater to her needs.
The center I take her to has a full sensory gym with swings, a zipline, tranpolines, climbing stuff, etc., so they have a lot to work with and she's able to get all the input she needs during the session.

Are you in the ny area? Looking for something like this.. I’m in far Rockaway

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:02 pm
Quote:

I'm not in the NY area, but I agree with this 100%

DS was getting OT in school and did not help much with anything. Started taking him to a sensory gym and after a year he was a changed child. He still has lots of sensory issues many years later, but it is not interfering in his everyday functioning like it once was (and I also learned lots of tips and tricks from the therapist and from watching)

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Are you in the ny area? Looking for something like this.. I’m in far Rockaway

In Brooklyn
Here's a link to gallery of their site so you can see if it seems like what you're looking for.
https://otpathways.com/gallery/

Edited to add link
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics