Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buyer real estate agent -- necessary or not?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:11 pm
We are looking to buy a house, and I thought it may be a good idea to find an agent who knows the area we are interested in. Someone who would advocate and negotiate in our behalf etc. Since it is the seller who has to pay for this expense, it looked like we only have to gain by having an agent of our own, rather than using the seller's agent. But I read online that some say that the buyer can save a bunch by not using an agent. That since the cost of an agent is absorbed in the house price, I could possibly negotiate a better price with the seller if they only have to pay one agent instead of two. Others say that the two agents split the 6%, and if there is only a seller's agent, he/she takes it all.

I did contact an agent thinking she may have better access to listings that are not publicly posted online. But I see that the listings that she sends me are mostly those that I was able to find by myself, and there are others that I found and she did not point out. 1. Is it worth it to go with an agent? 2. Do I have her show me those houses that she sent me AND those that I found by myself?
3. If I am going to use a real estate lawyer, is it redundant to have a real estate agent/relator too? Or do they serve different roles / functions?

Thanks so much for your help!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are looking to buy a house, and I thought it may be a good idea to find an agent who knows the area we are interested in. Someone who would advocate and negotiate in our behalf etc. Since it is the seller who has to pay for this expense, it looked like we only have to gain by having an agent of our own, rather than using the seller's agent. But I read online that some say that the buyer can save a bunch by not using an agent. That since the cost of an agent is absorbed in the house price, I could possibly negotiate a better price with the seller if they only have to pay one agent instead of two. Others say that the two agents split the 6%, and if there is only a seller's agent, he/she takes it all.

I did contact an agent thinking she may have better access to listings that are not publicly posted online. But I see that the listings that she sends me are mostly those that I was able to find by myself, and there are others that I found and she did not point out. 1. Is it worth it to go with an agent? 2. Do I have her show me those houses that she sent me AND those that I found by myself?
3. If I am going to use a real estate lawyer, is it redundant to have a real estate agent/relator too? Or do they serve different roles / functions?

Thanks so much for your help!

You should definitely have your own realtor. They are there to advocate for you, if you use the same route or as a seller they're working for both of you and it's not always so great. You can have her show you houses that you found and that she found. You are going to need a real estate lawyer regardless if you have a realtor or not. (That depends where you live though)

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:46 pm
You need your own agent unless you perhaps are buying a house from a friend or relative

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 11:54 pm
FWIW, lawyers are not used in many states. New York has a requirement that a lawyer be used but California doesn’t and no lawyers are ever used in California.

A good realtor can be helpful in negotiating and advising you. But as others have posted, unless you are extremely knowledgable about real estate, you would be ill advised to work without without.

The real savings are when a property is sold by the seller without an agent. This is not uncommon in New York City neighborhoods that are in demand. When people learned my parents were moving, they were approached by a few people who wanted to buy. Since a lawyer was required in Mew York anyway, there was no point in having an agent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating