Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help me design my kitchen layout!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:25 pm
On the milchig side, maybe switch pantry and counter (the two ends). I don't like the pantry between the door and the sink - they will both feel claustrophobic.

And how about another pantry cabinet directly across it on the end of the fleishig side?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:01 pm
If this were my kitchen.
Along the wall near the entrance to the kitchen, I'd put the pantry, 2 tall units to house an oven and microwave in each, and the fridge. You might even have space there for 2 pantries or 2 fridges. So that way all the tall units would be along that wall. On the other side, I'd put the sinks, one on each end, not right at the end though. I once had a corner sink, and for me I found it very difficult to reach to the taps and behind. I'd put a stove top under the window, this way you wont lose upper cabinet space to a hood. This way you'd have alot more unbroken countertop space, and it will also look more symmetrical.
I understand you've thought about the table vs island and this way makes the most sense for your family.
Whatever you decide, try to enjoy the process, and enjoy your new kitchen iyh!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:42 pm
I did not read the entire post so I don’t know if someone brought this up
The sink next to the pantry
It will be very uncomfortable to have a sink next to a solid wall, the side of the pantry

Maybe do pantry- dishwasher- sink- counter- oven

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If this were my kitchen.
Along the wall near the entrance to the kitchen, I'd put the pantry, 2 tall units to house an oven and microwave in each, and the fridge. You might even have space there for 2 pantries or 2 fridges. So that way all the tall units would be along that wall. On the other side, I'd put the sinks, one on each end, not right at the end though. I once had a corner sink, and for me I found it very difficult to reach to the taps and behind. I'd put a stove top under the window, this way you wont lose upper cabinet space to a hood. This way you'd have alot more unbroken countertop space, and it will also look more symmetrical.
I understand you've thought about the table vs island and this way makes the most sense for your family.

I really like Apricot’s layou the best of all

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:51 pm
I would move the tall items to the open end of the kitchen so they are not right in the middle of the kitchen and around a small doorway.
Move fridge and pantry next to back door (nice to keep food together) fridge closer to sink and pantry closer to back door. move the fleshig stove where the fridge was bit move it over 1’ to the left and just leave 1’ of counter to the left of Stove. Move a small (15-18) cabinet in between sink and dishwasher to give you a comfortable space to monuver when the door is open.The broom closet either between the pantry and the door or the opposite end of the dairy near the entrance.

Swapping the fridge also gives you a nice triangle for both dairy and fleshig).

Also I think you need more than 24” between the dairy stove and sink. If you want the dishwasher on the left then I would suggest broom closet near kitchen entrance, then dishwasher , then sink, then 30-36” counter, then stove, then another counter before the doorways.

For your table I would do rectangle to fit the space better You have enough space for a 48” wide table. I would take some bottom cabinets without the toe kick (to make it table height) and put a nice wood on top to create a table with overhang to tuck in chairs and have
storage under the table. And I would slide it toward the end of the kitchen adjacent to the open space so it is more on the side and not in the middle of the kitchen since it is not serving as an island it will just be in your way to walk around. I put mine on locking casters , this way it is in fixed location most of the time, but I could move it around from time to time easily.

Also
I vote for keeping the corner sink, but move the faucet to the side instead of the back for easy reach.

Edited it for dishwasher to be on left side of the sinks.

Last edited by HakarasHatov on Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:59 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If this were my kitchen.

stove near window means the window will get dirty frequently, and not sure the heat is so good for the window especially in the winter when the temperature is much colder outside.

frumPA

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:08 pm
For milchig I did an electric oven which is a wall oven and did 2 burner gas on top but that saved milchig counter space bec I did 2 burner gas which is 15” about instead of a full gas range which is 27”. So you gain that counter space and personally 2 burners are enough for milchig.

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:14 pm
Also if you have base cabinet space to spare, it is nice to be able to put the microwaves low (on counter or below counter) so younger kids can use them easily.

P.S. OP I love this stuff too. Very Happy

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:29 am
HakarasHatov wrote:
Also if you have base cabinet space to spare, it is nice to be able to put the microwaves low (on counter or below counter) so younger kids can use them easily.

P.S. OP I love this stuff too. Very Happy

Be careful with this. The under counter microwaves I researched did not have any child lock and that's why I opted out. You want to make sure your toddler doesnt put his matchbox cars inside and press the quick start....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:54 am
For those that enjoy this back and forth - I took a lot of your suggestions, and thought more about how I actually use the kitchen..and here is my latest layout using the Ikea Kitchen Planner (which I love!!)

I have a similar current setup for the the fleishig sink/oven and I really want to keep that - that corner is where I prep all my meals...
I left a space between the fridge and cabinet for a garbage can under the counter
15 depth x 24 width pantry on the far milchig end.
broom closet right near the fridge.

mfb

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:01 pm
The table looks like it’s going to be in the way of someone is sitting there and someone else is working by the counters

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those that enjoy this back and forth - I took a lot of your suggestions, and thought more about how I actually use the kitchen..and here is my latest layout using the Ikea Kitchen Planner (which I love!!)

I have a similar current setup for the the fleishig sink/oven and I really want to keep that - that corner is where I prep all my meals...
I left a space between the fridge and cabinet for a garbage can under the counter

is there enough space for people around the table and someone at the counter?
I think you need 4 ft officially

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am kitchen designer but B"H am very busy with work and haven't had time to read this thread. Your Ikea pic looks like you put a range next to a tall cabinet. If that's really the case, that's dangerous and you need to move it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:10 pm
mfb wrote:
The table looks like it’s going to be in the way of someone is sitting there and someone else is working by the counters

From counter to counter it’s 11 feet - so that leaves almost 4 feet on each side of a 36 inch width table. It’s not ideal, but it’s the best I can do with my current setup (to the best of my knowledge!)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:11 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I am kitchen designer but B"H am very busy with work and haven't had time to read this thread. Your Ikea pic looks like you put a range next to a tall cabinet. If that's really the case, that's dangerous and you need to move it.

How far apart do they have to be? Curious what you think of the rest.

9".

I sorry, just don't have time right now to look at your overall plan — paying clients have to come first.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:12 pm
lamplighter wrote:
is there enough space for people around the table and someone at the counter?
I think you need 4 ft officially

Yes 4 feet exactly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How far apart do they have to be? Curious what you think of the rest.

9".

I sorry, just don't have time right now to look at your overall plan — paying clients have to come first.

K thanks! Np! I’ll change it in my plans.

Kiddiemom3

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 11:08 pm
I would swap the oven with the drawers next to it. You lose the big single counter area but you gain a stove closer to the sink. Both sides of the oven would still have nice size counter space.

Do a deep closet over the fridge. Instead of a shelf do standing rack dividers to place large bulky stuff but still have an easy reach. https://rev-a-shelf.com/2543?

familyfirst

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:17 am
Noticing that one of the ovens is right under a cabinet

I think you need a hood

Kiddiemom3

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 2:28 am
familyfirst wrote:
Noticing that one of the ovens is right under a cabinet

I think you need a hood

To me it appears to be a microwave not a cabinet (above both ovens) so no hood is needed.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen