Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Flying with newborn
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:09 am
Did anyone ever fly with a real.newborn baby? I am.possibly going to fly when my baby will be 2-3 weeks old. Had anyone ever done that? Any tips?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:34 am
Don't have any tips but that is super young I wouldnt recommend flying with a baby that young especially to a diff country unless you really really have to. Planes are full of viruses and bacteria...

Rappel

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 4:01 am
I recommend the bulkhead seat, so you can have a wall crib and can put him down in there during the flight

And to save his ears, you can nurse him during landing.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 5:06 am
Get an infant carrier so you can keep him close and covered and still be hands free

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Don't have any tips but that is super young I wouldnt recommend flying with a baby that young especially to a diff country unless you really really have to. Planes are full of viruses and bacteria...

Not a different country. A few hours away.

#Happymom

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 7:26 am
I did.
Was the easiest flight ever because the baby was either sleeping or nursing!!

choc lover

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:31 am
Like someone else said get a bassinet seat. In my experience flying with a newborn is easier then any other age (try flying with an active toddler 🙄). Newborns sleep and nurse most of the time

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:35 am
Discuss with the pediatrician first. Mine does not recommend it in the winter especially, unless it's unavoidable.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:37 am
Flying with my newborns that age were my best flights. I did have seats for them so that probably helped. They slept and if they woke up I gave them the pacifier and or bottle. If your holding your baby I would say nurse/bottle feed by landing.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:44 am
I fly with my babies when they're about 2 or 3 months, so my in laws and my husband's family can meet them. It's just easier than them coming to us. I wouldn't consider it earlier.
As said above, the babies are usually much easier than the toddlers.
For those saying to feed while landing- how is that safe?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I fly with my babies when they're about 2 or 3 months, so my in laws and my husband's family can meet them. It's just easier than them coming to us. I wouldn't consider it earlier.
As said above, the babies are usually much easier than the toddlers.
For those saying to feed while landing- how is that safe?

What's unsafe about feeding during landing?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:55 am
I have flown many times with babies just not that small.... I guess I could technically be avoided, but I usually feel really good after birth And I am bored until I go back to work. This is just an opportunity to get away for a week without my kids at that point. It's also for business a little bit.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What's unsafe about feeding during landing?

The position you're holding the baby. I think ideally they should be in infant seats on their own seat, but if you're holding them I'm not sure feeding is the best position.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
The position you're holding the baby. I think ideally they should be in infant seats on their own seat, but if you're holding them I'm not sure feeding is the best position.

Yes ideally they should be strapped in a seat. You can still bottle feed. Once you're holding the baby I don't really see a difference in how they're held.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not a different country. A few hours away.

A bad idea during a pandemic. But ask your pediatrician.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 4:05 pm
Quote:
I did.
Was the easiest flight ever because the baby was either sleeping or nursing!!

Same here. I flew with DS when he was 10 days old (my pediatrician was fine with it). Probably my most uneventful flight with a child ever.

One word of advice don't tell anyone how old the baby is, lie or be vague - or you'll get lots of stares and "advice" on how horrible a mother you are (I know from personal experience Laugh)

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 4:15 pm
If you nurse. Bring along a stack of post it. In case you can’t find a comfortable place to feed the baby and you have to feed in a bathroom stall on a toilet seat you can cover the sensor so it doesn’t keep flushing.

Sara89

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:17 pm
yes, I’ve done it. with more than one of my babies. like others said, I found it much easier than with older babies, toddlers. newborns are pretty sleepy and easy to hold on your lap. nurse (or bottle feed if that’s what you do) by takeoff and landing to help with the ears. and in between baby will likely sleep most of the time.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:26 pm
What documentation do you use to bring baby with you as lap child?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
What documentation do you use to bring baby with you as lap child?

You don't need anything. Same way a kid needs nothing....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics