Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
YTV vs Chofetz Chaim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 9:33 am
How does Torah vodaas compare to tiferes yisroel with secular studies? Are there any chofetz chaim type parents in ytv? yes, I know they're very different lol but it's a decision I need to make.

what about the pluses and drawbacks of each school? we're from oot and it's our first boy bh so we're not in the know.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:15 pm
Help? Bump? I have no clue which is right for us? Dont know

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:18 pm
I send to chofetz chaim. What type of school are you looking for. Chofetz chaim is a nice crowed, a mix of different types. Great hanhala. Education is good

amother
Black

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:20 pm
I don't send to either of these. There can definitely be an overlap in types in both these yeshivas. Chofetz chaim, from what I hear has excellent secular education. Crowd in cc is more modern, Torah vadaas is more to the right.
What type are you?

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:14 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I don't send to either of these. There can definitely be an overlap in types in both these yeshivas. Chofetz chaim, from what I hear has excellent secular education. Crowd in cc is more modern, Torah vadaas is more to the right.
What type are you?

Chofetz Chaim is less pre-occupied with chumros than other yeshivos and has enriched the lives of communities around the country and brought families closer to Torah and Mitzvos that they otherwise would have but they are true Torah communities, that gives off this false-sense of "modern" Orthodox but hashkafically they are sound.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:26 pm
miami85 wrote:
Chofetz Chaim is less pre-occupied with chumros than other yeshivos and has enriched the lives of communities around the country and brought families closer to Torah and Mitzvos that they otherwise would have but they are true Torah communities, that gives off this false-sense of "modern" Orthodox but hashkafically they are sound.

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Tiferes Yisroel is the best representation of a Chofetz Chaim school. The Hanala might be regular Chofetz Chaim Rebbeim but the parent body is more modern than the classic Chofetz Chaim family. It may be a result of less chumras etc (meaning in Flatbush the more modern people gravitate to schools with less "rules").

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I send to chofetz chaim. What type of school are you looking for. Chofetz chaim is a nice crowed, a mix of different types. Great hanhala. Education is good

Looking for good secular education, good peer group, a school that will help our son be a ben torah and have a love of learning. Parent body who are authentically frum, not just toeing the line or looking the part, men who are kovea itim.

Chofetz Chaim scared me a little that they didn't discuss technology at all so is it a given that the boys all have smartphones when they're older and filtered access isn't a thing?

My son will probs have more local friends if he goes to CC which is a huge plus.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What type are you?

Very tznius but my sheitel is longer than it think the standard YTV mom. We look more to the left appearance wise but we're more to the right religious wise. We do want our son working though when he gets married so a good secular education is important.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:43 pm
miami85 wrote:

Did you mean to suggest that modern Orthodox Judaism is unsound?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for good secular education, good peer group, a school that will help our son be a ben torah and have a love of learning. Parent body who are authentically frum, not just toeing the line or looking the part, men who are kovea itim.

Chofetz Chaim scared me a little that they didn't discuss technology at all so is it a given that the boys all have smartphones when they're older and filtered access isn't a thing?

My son will probs have more local friends if he goes to CC which is a huge plus.

Why don't you consider Queens then?

I'm not sure I understand your question regarding technology. In Queens they have strict rules about using phones in school and try hard to discourage the boys from having phones at all. There is an incentive program for boys who don't have a phone of their own. I don't know if Brooklyn has the same though.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:10 pm
The parent body overlaps in both yeshivas. They are both typical Flatbush yeshivas.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:23 am
There are many parents in both yeshivas that could be in either one. In other words plenty of overlap in type.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:59 am
I worked in CC a few years ago and I am currently a parent in YTV.

Firstly, CC in Flatbush is very different than CC in Queens (I have CC cousins in Queens).

Both schools have a great education in both Hebrew and secular subjects. The principals in both are excellent, attentive and available. Both schools have a lot of support staff and resources/therapies available. Also, both emphasize middos and character development.

The biggest difference is the crowd:
CC- fancier, wealthier, like it is common to travel for winter break/ pesach. When the moms would come to school for bday parties, school events they were dressed very fancy and up to date. It is also more modern, like more watching movies, TV etc

YTV- simple, low key crowd. At school events, the moms are all dressed really simply and not as fashionably.The parent body is a nice mix, I think most dads are working but some are kollel/chinuch type. Definitely a frummer crowd than CC, but very open minded and accepting. As far as wig length I have seen all wig lengths in YTV...I don't think that should be a factor in your decision

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:39 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Tiferes Yisroel is the best representation of a Chofetz Chaim school. The Hanala might be regular Chofetz Chaim Rebbeim but the parent body is more modern than the classic Chofetz Chaim family. It may be a result of less chumras etc (meaning in Flatbush the more modern people gravitate to schools with less "rules").

Mainly because it's "Brooklyn" and it has to compete with all of the other Brooklyn Yeshivos. The "hanala" is CC in the high school only, the elementary school is all kinds of rabbeim. Most of the yeshivos in Brooklyn have some sort of Chassidic lineage, whereas Chofetz Chaim is steepted in the Litvishe' derech of Slabodka. Therefore many Chofetz Chaim families do not have minhagim of upsherin or they eat gebrokts on pesach--but that's because of their mesorah, it doesn't make them "less frum". Most Chofetz Chaim branches do not insist on "white shirts" because they would rather focus on middos and "overall mentchlichkeit" than the outward appearance of "white shirt only". It is a rather recent trend (last 10-15 years) that Tiferes Yisroel only wears white shirts and that is becoming a trend in other branches--Main campus as well, because people were equating them with "YU" which is not an accurate comparison as well.

Chofetz Chaim I think has the best balance of kodesh and chol in galus that I have found. They strive for a kodesh ideal, but they are realisitic that the wife must work, and you can't live in a kodesh bubble and think mun falls from shomayim or "P.h.D". They have a mandatory mussar seder and it shows in the quality of marriages. B"H in the over 30 years that I have known Chofetz Chaim, I think I have known of literally a handful of divorces--it happens, but they are usually unique situations and a vast majority go on to re-marry. The level of midos, and life expectation--not going to learn forever and if you need to get a secular profession do it with the best Torah preparation possible. They openly acknowledge that not everyone is going to be a Rabbi and many who do leave the program either get a "lesser" smicha or they stay connected with the yeshiva through rabbeim and "secular holiday learning programs"

Torah V'daas is a very close second, I have nephews who learned there and yes, they represent "the alt-heim velt" as well, as well as produced R' Dovid who went on to start Chofetz Chaim. I dont' know their high school very well, but they also tend to have more of a "chassidish" or "heimish" lineage.

I think that Tiferes Yisroel while they have attracted an "elitist" crowd--hey they need funding, they I think try to whittle out those "diamonds in the rough" and over the years polish the "elitist" mentality into more refined bachurim who value Torah and middos over business and Lexus'.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:08 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I worked in CC a few years ago and I am currently a parent in YTV.

Firstly, CC in Flatbush is very different than CC in Queens (I have CC cousins in Queens).

Do you mind if I ask how CC queens and flatbush are different?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:59 am
I'm sure things have changed but DH went to Tiferes Yisroel many years ago and he is now a PA after learning in yeshiva for 15 years. There is no way he would have been able to go back to college and succeed like he did without the solid secular education that he had in high school.
He has former classmates that are roshei yeshiva, as well as many that are doctors, lawyers, social workers and many other professions.
I definitely think the school is unique in them being able to turn out boys with solid hashkafos and a desire for bettering themselves while at the same time giving them a robust secular education.
(I know nothing about YTV so can't compare...)

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Did you mean to suggest that modern Orthodox Judaism is unsound?

From my experience growing up in a Modern Orthodox community there are two directions of "Modern Orthodox", there is the YU hadracha of "fitting Torah into my life" and I know many instances where more often than not the children are less frum than their parents and their grandchildren even less so. Modern Orthodoxy tends to take on more "liberal" political views.

Chofetz Chaim is "modern looking" but they "fit life into Torah" and grow into Judaism. They take a "don't take on more than you can handle" so that you don't "burn out like a firecracker" so that they growth is more sustainable and when done correctly their offspring tend to marry same if not MORE frum than their parents. They are less concerned with women learning more Torah, but that there should be a healthy Torah atmosphere in the home. Women learn, but learn within the traditional sefarim that women learn.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I'm sure things have changed but DH went to Tiferes Yisroel many years ago and he is now a PA after learning in yeshiva for 15 years. There is no way he would have been able to go back to college and succeed like he did without the solid secular education that he had in high school.
He has former classmates that are roshei yeshiva, as well as many that are doctors, lawyers, social workers and many other professions.
I definitely think the school is unique in them being able to turn out boys with solid hashkafos and a desire for bettering themselves while at the same time giving them a robust secular education.
(I know nothing about YTV so can't compare...)

YTV is similar. As far as CC I do not have experience with it. However is this for elementary where they are quite similar except CC has a more upper class crowd, or for high schools which are a very different hadaracha.
CC gears more to the regular CC hadaracha of other CC schools and YTV leans more to a yeshivishe outlook. Though my sons and brothers got a great education in YTV and are all productive business men and askanim they do not have the hadaracha of building communities and being part of a community.
My younger son is still there and it is a more right wing environment than it used to be.

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Do you mind if I ask how CC queens and flatbush are different?

I worked in YTY and went on to live in Queens for 8 years. Queens and Flatbush are very different--simply the mentality of the boros. Queens is more of a "forgotten boro" in NYC. There is just a different mentality in Queens. There's no "keeping up" with anyone. There's much more diversity in Queens and overall "simpler" mentality.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:52 am
Ok op, you can ignore all the comments about the school in Queens. I'm assuming you mean Tiferes yisroel in flatbush

As far as comparing, the schools are very similar as are the parent body. I looked into both and chose cc because the location was better for me. If your child will have more neighbors and friends in cc I would choose that over ytv.
As far as the "cc way", it is a non-issue in the elementary school. It is literally like any other middle of the road elementary yeshivah. They are not pushing any agenda or special cc rules. It's just a really good school.

Both schools have a mix of typical flatbush parents. Both are machshiv torah and have mostly working fathers. Both educations and services are great. Both building are nice enough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics