Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Series on chassidim s/o, diff types of chassidim
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Just like a big part of Breslov is Hisbodedes, and a big part of Lubavitch is kiruv, a big part of other chassidim is kabbalah, elevating gashmiyos, not enjoying this world, and being machmir.

Breslov and Lubavitch have added many of their own ideas to their chassidus as well.

This does not make any chassidus not chassidish, or better than others.

About spreading Chassidus, We actually learned it totally different.
Chassidus was needed for the unlearned to grow closer to God.
The learners did not need Chassidus to know God, but the simple people did.
Meaning someone who was already a good learned Jew did not need to become a chossid.

I don't think you have this quite right.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:25 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It proves your point that what? Only you have a clarity and everyone else is confused? My points still stand. Seems a lot of it went over people's heads but ok. And I was addressing two people that got offended by what I said. I get you started the thread but people can still have a conversation on it that you don't approve of.

Ok I will try this again.
My point was simply this: There are people out there who consider themselves chassidish. But other people (you, for example) don't consider them chassidish. Zehu. That was basically my point in a nutshell. And you proved it.

You can go on to discuss WHY you dont consider them chassidish, based on your definition of chassidish. But that would be proving my point further. Of course I welcome discussion, that's what this is all about. I don't approve or not approve of any discussion. Most people on this thread got what I was trying to say and helped flesh out the discussion.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:28 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4D9xtZzBQ
This is what chabad chassidus is. These are the teachings of the Baal Shem Tov. And chabad minhagim.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:31 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It is best for you. Not necessarily for others.

I find this mentality comes from not being exposed to other communities.
I went to 4 different schools and camps and live in a 5th chassidish neighborhood.
There is good everywhere.

This is a fascinating comment, as I actually was more exposed to all kinds of communities than almost anyone I know!

Of course there is good everywhere, but at some point, in today's world, many of us choose based on what path we consider ideal. (My Lubavitch friend still has hopes of one day converting me, btw!).

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:33 pm
just responding to the poster that Chassidus is about not enjoying this world.
coming from OOT, chassidim are the fanciest people I know. the standards are extremely high.
in the regular world, strollers like bugaboos etc. are reserved for the rich.
in the chassidish community, it's standard. this is just one tiny, tiny example. (I'm on my second bugaboo, so I"m not judging- I like nice things too!!) but the point I'm trying to make- from what I see as an outsider- the fur coats, the expensive strollers, the children's clothing......it does NOT appear to look like anything like even trying slightly to live simply or not enjoy the world!
elevating the mundane? totally! giving birth to Yiddishe children and dressing them like royalty? totally! using luxurious things - clothing/jewelry- for Yom Tov? totally!
but living simply????? not enjoying this world?????
from my outsider's view, I don't see a shred of this!! (and this is besides the cafe's and shops bursting with chassidish women enjoying speciality coffees and salads- again, I am NOT judging- guess why I see them? I'm getting my coffee too Smile- but this isn't living simply or not enjoying from this world.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Just like a big part of Breslov is Hisbodedes, and a big part of Lubavitch is kiruv, a big part of other chassidim is kabbalah, elevating gashmiyos, not enjoying this world, and being machmir.

Breslov and Lubavitch have added many of their own ideas to their chassidus as well.

This does not make any chassidus not chassidish, or better than others.

About spreading Chassidus, We actually learned it totally different.
Chassidus was needed for the unlearned to grow closer to God.
The learners did not need Chassidus to know God, but the simple people did.
Meaning someone who was already a good learned Jew did not need to become a chossid.

The early Chassidim spent plenty of time trying to convert the talmidei chachamim as well.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 1:38 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
coming from OOT, chassidim are the fanciest people I know. the standards are extremely high.
in the chassidish community, it's standard. this is just one tiny, tiny example. (I'm on my second bugaboo, so I"m not judging- I like nice things too!!) but the point I'm trying to make- from what I see as an outsider- the fur coats, the expensive strollers, the children's clothing......it does NOT appear to look like anything like even trying slightly to live simply or not enjoy the world!
elevating the mundane? totally! giving birth to Yiddishe children and dressing them like royalty? totally! using luxurious things - clothing/jewelry- for Yom Tov? totally!
from my outsider's view, I don't see a shred of this!! (and this is besides the cafe's and shops bursting with chassidish women enjoying speciality coffees and salads- again, I am NOT judging- guess why I see them? I'm getting my coffee too Smile- but this isn't living simply or not enjoying from this world.

"Ze keili v'anveiyhu".

"Ivdu es Hashem b'simchah".

There is not much of an emphasis in Chassidus in living simply.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

Living in Williamsburg I see women with tichlech wearing summer coats over their baggy clothing, I see women dressed more modestly than any other community in America, I see neighbors passing on clothing from their children to their friends. I see people giving a lot of money for important tzedakah causes. I see people spending a lot of money to beautify mitzvos. I see people being machmir on minhagim and halachah that no one will know about. I see people who have many children because that is what they believe in. I see women working to be the best wives and mothers.

Look a little deeper and get to know us.

Yael

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 2:18 pm
We have a forum called Respectfully learning about different sects, which was created for this exact type of thread. It is amother disabled to prevent bad feelings that typically arise from having this conversation without the benefit of a screen name.

Please continue this discussion there. This thread will remain here, locked because it’s not quite the example of a respectfully learning thread I would strive for.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics